City Of Manchester Stadium Or Eastlands: You decide!

A bit of history on this....

The City Of Manchester Stadium was a name chosen as a compromise by all involved in the build/ownership/leasing of the stadium. It was felt to be the most appropriate name as it stated where the stadium is and reflected City in some way. The Manchester City Stadium was rejected because it wasn't acceptable to those running the Commonwealth Games.

Moving on I was witness to a mini-debate shortly after the Games in the Legends Lounge between City's leading officials at the time - David Bernstein, Chris Bird and John Wardle. Chris had taken me to show me the future site of the museum and to have a proper nosey. We met up with John & David in the Legends Lounge where they were having a meeting.

We were all excited about the move.

In the Lounge the 3 men started to talk about the name. None of them really wanted to use the long 'City Of Manchester Stadium' name, but they knew it had to be that and it could also be useful (neutral events would talk of "The City Of Manchester Stadium" and that would bring attention to the club worldwide whereas City-specific names may not be recognised worldwide).

They talked of developing a City-specific identity for the stadium to be used by fans and discussed options. Using the examples of Maine Road and Hyde Road names based on the site were discussed. At one point they laughed about calling it after the area - The Bradford Stadium (it was a joke!). Both Chris and I were asked about the area as, I guess, we knew the area more.

After some discussion, the name originally chosen for the site was mentioned - "Eastlands". The area had been rebranded Eastlands by the council and others when the Olympic Bid was made because, as with City, names like Bradford would have been confusing. They wanted a different identity.

Ultimately, after a few years the Council changed their thinking and named the area New East Manchester and also Sportcity.

By the end of the discussion, the view amongst the City leaders was that Eastlands was already familiar to fans via City articles and that it could be used. As could Sportcity.

But these names were only ever going to be nicknames, not the genuine name.

By the time City moved both Bernstein and Bird had gone, so the ideas that Chris had of developing a strong identity sort of disappeared in the middle of everything else (I hope I'm not mis-quoting Chris, but I am convinced he had a strong vision of how we would adopt a fan-friendly name instead of the official title that ultimately he was not able to follow through because he wasn't there).

So the official name is City Of Manchester Stadium, but the nickname for many is Eastlands.

As Scall and others have said there are grounds that use more than one name. They have an official name but we all know them as something else - old Wembley Stadium was actually the Empire Stadium; Highbury was the Arsenal Stadium, Upton Park is The Boleyn Ground... there are also various sponsored stadia as well but fans often use the old name (Huddersfield's stadium name has changed via sponsorship).

Gary James said:
A bit of history on this....

The City Of Manchester Stadium was a name chosen as a compromise by all involved in the build/ownership/leasing of the stadium. It was felt to be the most appropriate name as it stated where the stadium is and reflected City in some way. The Manchester City Stadium was rejected because it wasn't acceptable to those running the Commonwealth Games.

Moving on I was witness to a mini-debate shortly after the Games in the Legends Lounge between City's leading officials at the time - David Bernstein, Chris Bird and John Wardle. Chris had taken me to show me the future site of the museum and to have a proper nosey. We met up with John & David in the Legends Lounge where they were having a meeting.

We were all excited about the move.

In the Lounge the 3 men started to talk about the name. None of them really wanted to use the long 'City Of Manchester Stadium' name, but they knew it had to be that and it could also be useful (neutral events would talk of "The City Of Manchester Stadium" and that would bring attention to the club worldwide whereas City-specific names may not be recognised worldwide).

They talked of developing a City-specific identity for the stadium to be used by fans and discussed options. Using the examples of Maine Road and Hyde Road names based on the site were discussed. At one point they laughed about calling it after the area - The Bradford Stadium (it was a joke!). Both Chris and I were asked about the area as, I guess, we knew the area more.

After some discussion, the name originally chosen for the site was mentioned - "Eastlands". The area had been rebranded Eastlands by the council and others when the Olympic Bid was made because, as with City, names like Bradford would have been confusing. They wanted a different identity.

Ultimately, after a few years the Council changed their thinking and named the area New East Manchester and also Sportcity.

By the end of the discussion, the view amongst the City leaders was that Eastlands was already familiar to fans via City articles and that it could be used. As could Sportcity.

But these names were only ever going to be nicknames, not the genuine name.

By the time City moved both Bernstein and Bird had gone, so the ideas that Chris had of developing a strong identity sort of disappeared in the middle of everything else (I hope I'm not mis-quoting Chris, but I am convinced he had a strong vision of how we would adopt a fan-friendly name instead of the official title that ultimately he was not able to follow through because he wasn't there).

So the official name is City Of Manchester Stadium, but the nickname for many is Eastlands.

As Scall and others have said there are grounds that use more than one name. They have an official name but we all know them as something else - old Wembley Stadium was actually the Empire Stadium; Highbury was the Arsenal Stadium, Upton Park is The Boleyn Ground... there are also various sponsored stadia as well but fans often use the old name (Huddersfield's stadium name has changed via sponsorship).

Interesting piece of info. Cheers
Do you think that once the area around the ground gets the investment as planned do you think the name of the stadium could be changed? By either a sponsorship deal, or infact that the area is again rebranded.

Ric said:
jrb said:
I don't ever recall old Trafford, Anfield or any other football ground being called by another name than it's original name in the media.(feel free)

Boleyn Ground/Upton Park?

Anyway, Eastlands for me.

Park Head/Celtic Park

Highbury/Arsenal Stadium

Eastlands for me...

De jong evil said:
I would change the road nex to the stadium main road soo I would chande the name to main road.

main road soo I would chande the name to main road
=======================
Not once, but twice!!!
Get him flogged!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.