City v Boro post match

Correct.

25 shots of which only 7 were on target.
As pep said after the game he does not think allowing 2 attempts to the opposition and generating 10 attempts by City is bad so we are actually doing quite well against a team that initially parked the bus.

The main problem is hitting the target (25 attempts only 7 on target), then secondly to score with the ones that are actually on target.
This is a problem that our near PL opponents do not appear to have (neither do Boro seemingly) so if it is already being addressed perhaps the quality of our strike force is nowhere near as good as we think it is.

Its so easy to blame a defensive mistake for the loss of 2 points but the real problem is elsewhere.

Totally agree mate, you last sentence speaks volumes, we dont have enough ruthless goal scorers, take out Kun and Kev and we look toothless at times-for every goal Sterling scores he fluffs 6.

Yeah, I think your last sentence is the key mate to a lot of people's frustration. The bottom line is that we created enough CLEAR chances to put the game to bed and didn't. It's something we've done often this season but also it's something which I think you can't really legislate for. Any manager, not just Pep, will say that if you're creating lots of chances, and giving up very few, then the system is fine. It's the execution that needs to be looked at.

I didn't really see the point in any of Pep's subs tbh, but equally I didn't think any of the subs really were responsible for the equaliser. Well certainly not in the way people think. For me when he subbed Navas off for Garcia that felt wrong because it felt like an invitation for the players to start switching off and focussing on the final whistle.

That substitution cost us in a few ways and I wasn't sure about it as it happened. However, it is easy to be clever in hindsight and, on another day, it might have worked out fine. Garcia is a player that you would normally expect to be able to trust with possession. Shit happens but a few errors have cost us a lot of points and spoiled a lot of good work.

Pep will be learning more and more about his players with each passing week and he can address with individuals things that need to / can be improved and refine his tactics and team selections based on his growing understanding of what he has and what he is facing.

Not enough shots from outside the penalty area.
Wingers who never try and beat their fullback on the outside - no point I guess as there's no one in the penalty area to attack a cross.
No balls over the top for players to run on to.
Oh and a pack of players who miss sitters in the box. Everyone of our starting AMS and forward missed a sitter. Everyone.
Once against Everton I'd say unlucky. Twice tells me it's a problem. We were scoring 1 in 7(ish) at the start of the season, now it's 1 in 10.1 in 25 against Everton and Boro.

It is a big problem, we've spent £49m on a winger come second striker who scores one out of 6, Silva doesnt even register as goal scorer these days, Navas, what 4 goals in 3 seasons? Kelechi is proving no to be a regular starter and this is impacting on his goal scoring. Gundogan has had a purple patch but you just cant see that happening very often.

Its been a problem for the last two seasons.

Its is a big problem, weve spent £49m on a winger come second striker who scores one out of 6, Silva doesnt even register as goal scorer these days, Navas, what 4 goals in 3 seasons? Kelechi is proving no to be a regular starter and this is impacting on his goal scoring. Gundogan has had a purple patch but you just cant see that happening very often.

It's been a problem for the last two seasons

Yes, it has.

That substitution cost us in a few ways and I wasn't sure about it as it happened. However, it is easy to be clever in hindsight and, on another day, it might have worked out fine. Garcia is a player that you would normally expect to be able to trust with possession. Shit happens but a few errors have cost us a lot of points and spoiled a lot of good work.

Pep will be learning more and more about his players with each passing week and he can address with individuals things that need to / can be improved and refine his tactics and team selections based on his growing understanding of what he has and what he is facing.

Garcia was fine in possession was he not? The ball that broke out wide for them was from Garcia intercepting a pass.

Yes, it has.

Haha. I see what you did there. ;)

On your previous post. I'm sure Pep will be learning plenty from these early months. I'm surprised how many people seem to be talking as if this performance is the destination with Pep as opposed to just an early part of the journey. Everything will get better. Attacking, defending, team cohesion, tactical changes. Even the most cynical of Blue must know that whatever has happened in the last few weeks is only the start of something much bigger/wider/deeper.

No doubt we have a problem, we're nowhere near clinical enough. Navas put one in for Gundogan too. On another day with better finishing he gets 3 assists.

The problem is that it has become the norm..
I trust Pep to solve it but it may mean player changes soon for PL games if our stars cannot apply the basics.

Listened to GMR on the way home and people ringing in saying we need Hart back? really can't fathom to as how Hart would have helped us win that game?
From what I recall two players were completely unmarked at the far post! so yet again shit defensive positioning cost us two points...

Ah well, we move on. Wouldn't be us if we didn't make it harder for ourselves!

Garcia was fine in possession was he not? The ball that broke out wide for them was from Garcia intercepting a pass.
Nope, before that. The whole sequence of play started when Garcia played a "pass" with the outside of his right foot that didn't go anywhere near a City player and allowed Boro to gain possession of the ball cheaply.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.