City v Boro post match

I'll tell you what our deficiency is - mental weakness. There are too many players in our team that switch off or shrug their shoulders and give up when things get a bit tough. I've said this before and it showed again today. The worst culprits in my view are two of our finest ever players - Silva & Aguero - and I fear both will be in danger of going this summer if they don't toughen up. Neither are much less talented than players like Messi or Suarez but neither has that will to win that marks those two out. Players like Tevez, Keane, Vieira, even Andy Morrison, who took games and their teams by the scruff of the neck. Silva in particular is a complete powder-puff of a player - great when he's got time and space but fuck all use when he needs to dig a bit deeper.

When I look at the great sides in my lifetime, the 60's team and that of the late '70's, I see players like Book, Doyle, Pardoe, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Tueart, Hartford, Watson, Kidd, Royle, Donachie. There were enough players to carry the one or two, like Peter Barnes & Neil Young, who may have been a bit more mentally fragile. Today we maybe had 3 or 4 who had that mental toughness - the desire and will to win, the strength not to make mistakes and to take responsibility when things get a bit tough. I just don't see enough of those players in my team and that's Pep's biggest problem.

Think this is a bit melodramatic given the same team just beat Barca and is second in the league. There was a lot of mental toughness v Barca which really pleased me. I think it's more a collective frailty rather than blaming individuals. Basically yet again for various reasons chances were not taken or good situations capitalised on. The whole team needs to stay focussed throughout

1st half we played some good stuff but still takes too long to get the ball forward, and we are not clinical enough when we get chances.
When teams park the bus we could do with somebody upfront with Kun to take some pressure off him and give the defenders more to think about.
Weird decision to leave Sterling out of the squad and not one I think was correct.
Sterling would have caused them problems by running past their back four.
Still not convinced by Bravo as a keeper but can see what Pep is trying to do with playing the ball out from the keeper.
Would have preferred Komps as centre half alongside Stones and Kolarov as left back.
Boro are boring as fuck and didn't deserve a point but because we didn't defend the cross properly and left Clichy to try and defend the back post we got punished.
Not blaming Bravo but still think he could have done better with the header, seemed to go through him but only seen it at the ground so could be wrong.
We need to finish teams off and start keeping clean sheets.

As posted before, the thing that peed me off most, is flipping boro again, how many time have they robbed us. This should have been a 2-0 home win, score the second they are sunk. Never mind these things happen. Fans blaming the manager, he did not miss the chances. :-)
This all day.

This^ And I think I've just sussed it
(I'm slow, I know.) Maybe it's us silver haired blues who don't seem to flap? We've seen soooo much tripe over the years it's actually hard to wake from lala land where everything is blissful, including a 1-1 with 'biro. Thought we were sublime in patches x
Less of the silver hair remarks Ezra, it's white lol ))

What did we play West Brom in, the fucking Charity Shield?

If we weren't playing well then I'd completely understand the flapping but we're doing everything right other than putting the finishing touch on it on the brilliant build up play to kill games off. Two of those games have come directly after very difficult Champions League games. We're not a team of robots so inconsistency is bound to happen especially when the team is still learning a completely new style of play, a style of play that is very difficult to get right physically, mentally and technically. Give them a fucking break.
We are playing well but as i say we are not closing the home games,beautiful football still needs the end result,our home games have been against teams we should be able to finish off,plenty of chances created but not taking them,not scoring has nothing to do with pep's way of playing as the chances are there for them but we are not putting them away at home,if you can't see a pattern is forming at then there is no point continuing this

Well Joe didn't save the one straight at him in the FA Cup Final against Wigan did he?

Frankly if Bravo had saved it, it would have been just pure luck with a header coming at pace at such a sort distance away.
I wouldn't say pure luck, reflexes are important. Good comparison but If I remember right that goal was directly over Joe's head which is harder to get a hand to than the one far enough to the side of Bravo's head that he just needed to raise an arm quicker too. I'm not being awkward there though it might sound it.

Whether you think he should/could have saved it or not (I won't deny I'm asking high standards there but I'm sure Pep would expect them too), I'll keep a lid on my preference for Joe thus far until Bravo has had plenty of time to accustom himself and then post my opinion then.

We are playing well but as i say we are not closing the home games,beautiful football still needs the end result,our home games have been against teams we should be able to finish off,plenty of chances created but not taking them,not scoring has nothing to do with pep's way of playing as the chances are there for them but we are not putting them away at home,if you can't see a pattern is forming at then there is no point continuing this

How about given the opposition a little credit, Boro were excellent today well drilled no space left between the lines, we we getting in round the back towards the end of the first half they stopped that in the second half

I'll tell you what our deficiency is - mental weakness. There are too many players in our team that switch off or shrug their shoulders and give up when things get a bit tough. I've said this before and it showed again today. The worst culprits in my view are two of our finest ever players - Silva & Aguero - and I fear both will be in danger of going this summer if they don't toughen up. Neither are much less talented than players like Messi or Suarez but neither has that will to win that marks those two out. Players like Tevez, Keane, Vieira, even Andy Morrison, who took games and their teams by the scruff of the neck. Silva in particular is a complete powder-puff of a player - great when he's got time and space but fuck all use when he needs to dig a bit deeper.

When I look at the great sides in my lifetime, the 60's team and that of the late '70's, I see players like Book, Doyle, Pardoe, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Tueart, Hartford, Watson, Kidd, Royle, Donachie. There were enough players to carry the one or two, like Peter Barnes & Neil Young, who may have been a bit more mentally fragile. Today we maybe had 3 or 4 who had that mental toughness - the desire and will to win, the strength not to make mistakes and to take responsibility when things get a bit tough. I just don't see enough of those players in my team and that's Pep's biggest problem.
You look at the teams and players you are quoting, I watched those players, how many titles? How many bad away defeats? One year with those players, we had best home record, and, the same away record as wolves who were relegated so please, do not compare past with present without the facts. I unfortunately used to go away at that time, some of the defeats were humiliating, enjoy now, the past has gone forever :-)

I have give it a few hours to calm down as I'm so gutted. Who is to blame? Not really sure. During the game people were saying we need a second or they will fluke one at the end. Are we ever going to rid ourselves of the typical city tag. I'm just gutted and this has ruined the next two weeks. I guess we all just need to man up and accept things like this happen. After the Lord Mayors show....
Fuck, this must be how the rags feel every week

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.