City v Boro post match

I'm normally on the same wavelength as you Karen but on this I'm not. I understand what your saying but I predicted this on the pre match thread. The common denominator is we are simply not finishing. We could have had ten. 27 shots and only 1 goal, they had 2 and scored once. It's the old 'after the Lord Mayors show' syndrome. If we had scored 2 in the first half this all would be irrelevant. It's all a learning curve, the football is sublime and we just need to convert more chances. I'm annoyed at the result but not the team or the he boss.
I also said it would be a real slog after tuesday,i was surprised pep didn't make better subs when several had run out of steam,it is what it is,i'm just disappointed in our home form and that we keep getting sucker punched,something is not right

Complacency personified.
Nine points were available from our last three home against lower /mid table teams - we got three.
In each game we dominated, missed chances and got hit by a sucker punch.
When that happens three times at home on the trot it's not just bad luck it represents a fundamental flaw in the team, and Barcelona or no Barcelona two of our rivals for the league - Dippers and Chavs- have settled winning teams that have settled into a groove and don't have the distraction of European games.
Think about it.

Complacency? As in a lack of effort?

Or am I misunderstanding?

This^ And I think I've just sussed it
(I'm slow, I know.) Maybe it's us silver haired blues who don't seem to flap? We've seen soooo much tripe over the years it's actually hard to wake from lala land where everything is blissful, including a 1-1 with 'boro. Thought we were sublime in patches x

I'm only 33 you cheeky twat, it's not quite silver yet!! :)

Yeah and it's happened three times on the trot at home.
So it's not a one off 'one of those days', it's a pattern and it represents a weakness in the team.
Also the Sunderland and West Ham home games, despite dominating and winning were still too close for comfort.
Again, as with Karen's post, I understand what your saying and the pattern references but ultimately it is simply down to finishing. If we weren't creating 20/30 chances a game and playing shit, disorganised football then I'd agree but we are playing sublime football but we're just not putting the ball in the net.

The only thing that really concerns me is that no team has ever won the league without having a tight defence that concedes few goals. This "we'll just outscore them" idea is fantasy. It's never been won by doing that. The title winning team always has the best, or maybe the 2nd best defensive record.

Unless we sort this out, we are not winning the league.

Oh shit we are 3rd best

25+ chances for 1 goal = garbage finishing by all on sundry. We're not going to win anything this season with the conversion rate we are achieving this season.
Yet again, there were no where near enough shots from the edge of the penalty area and our wide players (doesn't matter who they are) rufuse to try and beat defenders on the outside (then again there would be no one in the penalty area to receive a cross).
No attempt to run at opposition defences through the middle either.
A noticeable drop in tempo in the second half too. Cost us in the end.
Still we didn't lose which is what I had expected after Tuesday.

Last edited:
As in 'attitude'.

If you're critical of the players attitude and effort then you're an absolute fucking dick, I'll take the subsequent ban from the mods because with comments like that you deserve to be abused.

You look at the teams and players you are quoting, I watched those players, how many titles? How many bad away defeats? One year with those players, we had best home record, and, the same away record as wolves who were relegated so please, do not compare past with present without the facts. I unfortunately used to go away at that time, some of the defeats were humiliating, enjoy now, the past has gone forever :-)

I think you both have a point; however, the fact that we saw teams in my youth that battered all comers at home and were woeful away does not prove that the current lot are not mentally tough enough. The current lot have never proved to me that they have enough mental fortitude to actually stop us being perennial underachievers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.