City v Chelsea Post Match Thread

Good to see that there are many sensible posts on here, that recognize what has to be recognized: we were comprehensively outplayed by the better team on the night. Hazard in particular had a terrific game , Zabman simply had no answer to him. But it's up front that the team has got to ask itself some questions. The statistics say that we had more possession, more corners, more shots. In this case, the statistics tell us absolutely nothing. Chelsea, with their fewer shots, hit the woodwork three times, and brought at least two terrific saves out of Hart (one of the meagre consolations to be taken from this match - Joe is back to something close to his best, and no mistake). Our shooting was simply woeful. I'm not going to single out individuals, nobody was any good, with the possible exception of Jovetic (I don 't say he was good, but as soon as he was on there was a sense of things happening up front. He is the other decent thing to take from this match, because he will only get better). You cna't help wondering, with the likes of Samir, Sergio, Ferny, would any of those chances gone in? Or at least been on target? Because - and this is what's unacceptable - I don't remember Cech having to actually make a save for the entire first half.
Well, the measure of a team that wins trophies is the way it bounces back. It's an old, dusty cliche, and it happens to be true. I have no doubt whatsoever that we're going to come roaring back against Norwich. But players need to ask themselves about their finishing, because against a team like Chelsea, you get one or two clear chances, and that's it. I'd also like to know why we're so completely toothless on corners. We got a cartload of them, and we were beaten in the air every single time. And that's not just Chelsea, it's been true all this season and last. Right, onward to Norwich, pick the whole thing up. Others will slip up - Chelsea already did, against the Hammers. By God, though, I'd love us to start one match with our clear, first-choice line-up. I can't even remember when it last happened.

whp.blue said:
It saddens me to say it but last night David Silva was the luxury we couldn't afford

it also highlighted why Maureen was happy to sell mata to the rags In these sort of games the full team has to work flat out for 90 mins and all forward players need to track back

Silva also missed our two best chances and without the work load of Ferndinho that was enough to ensure Chelsea took all the points

Chelsea are in great shape to attack teams who commit players forward like City. But they aren't so good at beating teams who sit deep and negate their pace - West Ham. To beat teams like that you need guile as provided by David Silva and Juan Mata.

City lost the game last night because we didn't execute our game well enough not because of Chelsea who after all scored only one goal (ffs Watford scored 2).

City didn't execute our game well enough because we were short of key players. The squad is still largely Mancini's and it will take a little longer before we can lose 3/4 key personnel and still execute perfectly against the best.

This defeat is not as hard to take compared to the Cardiff,Aston villa and Sunderland games and I believe certain posters have acknowledge the tough circumstances we were under. I am sure this team will bounce back stronger.

PS. The most nerve wrecking part of the game yesterday was when Chelsea broke after one of our corners, Demichelis only managing to slide the ball to Willian and suddenly it was 4v2.

I still can't quite get over the shock of seeing the nil behind city's name last night. I suppose all good things come to an end.

citymad said:
I still can't quite get over the shock of seeing the nil behind city's name last night. I suppose all good things come to an end.

i know mate me too, nearly 3 1/2 years lets hope its something similar

Chelsea were far better than us, and Mourinho proved that he's the best tactician around. He managed to turn us into a long ball team - that takes some doing. Their pressing was relentless, they knew we are immense down our right with Zab and Navas, so they instructed Azpilicueta to never venture past the halfway line. They shut down every space, Yaya and Silva were swamped every time they got the ball. Then they highlighted that we are vulnerable to counter attacks because both our full backs get high up the pitch, and Yaya offers zero defensive work... so they counter attacked us time and time again, with Hazard putting in one of the best individual performances i've ever seen at The Etihad. He was unplayable. Can't complain about the result. We were outclassed.

Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
Good to see that there are many sensible posts on here, that recognize what has to be recognized: we were comprehensively outplayed by the better team on the night. Hazard in particular had a terrific game , Zabman simply had no answer to him. But it's up front that the team has got to ask itself some questions. The statistics say that we had more possession, more corners, more shots. In this case, the statistics tell us absolutely nothing. Chelsea, with their fewer shots, hit the woodwork three times, and brought at least two terrific saves out of Hart (one of the meagre consolations to be taken from this match - Joe is back to something close to his best, and no mistake). Our shooting was simply woeful. I'm not going to single out individuals, nobody was any good, with the possible exception of Jovetic (I don 't say he was good, but as soon as he was on there was a sense of things happening up front. He is the other decent thing to take from this match, because he will only get better). You cna't help wondering, with the likes of Samir, Sergio, Ferny, would any of those chances gone in? Or at least been on target? Because - and this is what's unacceptable - I don't remember Cech having to actually make a save for the entire first half.
Well, the measure of a team that wins trophies is the way it bounces back. It's an old, dusty cliche, and it happens to be true. I have no doubt whatsoever that we're going to come roaring back against Norwich. But players need to ask themselves about their finishing, because against a team like Chelsea, you get one or two clear chances, and that's it. I'd also like to know why we're so completely toothless on corners. We got a cartload of them, and we were beaten in the air every single time. And that's not just Chelsea, it's been true all this season and last. Right, onward to Norwich, pick the whole thing up. Others will slip up - Chelsea already did, against the Hammers. By God, though, I'd love us to start one match with our clear, first-choice line-up. I can't even remember when it last happened.
+1<br /><br />-- Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:08 am --<br /><br />
Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
+1

lazza said:
So, how do we beat Chelsea in the Cup?!

Hopefully we'll have more first-choice players fit, but we surely need a change of tactics if we're to win....
-------------Yaya---Fernandinho-------------
---Navas------Silva------------Milner---------
----------------Negredo---------------------------

A minute hiccup in our fantastic season. They have Newcastle at home next, so we need to win, as I think they'll get a comfortable 3 points off the back of the win against us. Arsenal on the other hand, will scrape a draw. Will go to the wire come May I think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.