City v Liverpool Post Match

Pam said:
Armaan said:
A lot of people saying Yaya was quiet but was I the only one who noticed his beautiful possession play? The way he shields the ball and finds the short passes all the time is amazing, such a clever player.

Yaya was excellent.

He's not into his "steam train" mode yet, but the way he finds a pass is just amazing. Seems like he can pass around corners at times.

(Polite) Congratulations Man City on a good win. Liverpool fan here and season ticket holder. After the match last night this forum seemed to give us some credit but this morning it seems to be more stick (understandable and I've learnt to not look at the opposite forum again after the match). Just a few points I'd like to make....

1). We were the better side 1st half especially until Moreno's mistake. Then your cutting edge which we lacked came to the for (good pressing and finish from Jovetic though) but still Moreno's mistake.

2). After the 1st goal there was a sense of bloody hell were not going to get anything from this now which only a few sides manage to make me feel. Even Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich would probably accept a 1-0 loss at the etihad. That's the level of team you have got now....Even the bookies gave us a +1 handicap which rarely happens.

3). To most Liverpool fans this season a top four finish (if we play well like we did last season it will turn into a title challenge), and getting out of the champions league group (were in the 3rd tear) or past the second round will be acceptable this season.....Whereas Man City not finishing in the top 2 or not getting to the semi finals of the champions league will probably be seen as a disapointment.

4). In the end you were the favourites to win and you DESERVED to win but we did play well in the first half but lacked a cutting edge. After the Sunderland win I was worried but strangely after yesterday loss I'm not worried at all.

Good Luck and if we don't go on a good run again. I hope its you or Arsenal that win the league.

melons said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28831352
Haven't read all of this thread so not sure if this has been posted already but Scouser Phil on the BBC's site believes that Liverpool 'dominated the first half' and had 'excellent work rate and approach work'.
I thought the BBC was supposed to be unbiased.
Even Scousers I know say that they were battered and we had another 3 gears to move through.
Also, Liverpool are 'a team in transition' apparently.
Every team is constantly in transition Phil you candle waving twat.
Watch these self obsessed misery mongers slide back into the comfort of mid table obscurity this season. Sturridge and Sterling were flattered by the space created for them last season by every team having to put at least two men on Suarez. They're above average players but not top 4 material. Well know the perils of super Mario so pinning their hopes on him is foolish.
I see Chelsea as the only true threat this season. My prediction is that this will be a two horse race by Xmas....

i laughed at the "candle waving twat" bit 8-)

melons said:
Haven't read all of this thread so not sure if this has been posted already but Scouser Phil on the BBC's site believes that Liverpool 'dominated the first half' and had 'excellent work rate and approach work'.
I thought the BBC was supposed to be unbiased.
Even Scousers I know say that they were battered and we had another 3 gears to move through.
Also, Liverpool are 'a team in transition' apparently.
Every team is constantly in transition Phil you candle waving twat.
Watch these self obsessed misery mongers slide back into the comfort of mid table obscurity this season. Sturridge and Sterling were flattered by the space created for them last season by every team having to put at least two men on Suarez. They're above average players but not top 4 material. Well know the perils of super Mario so pinning their hopes on him is foolish.
I see Chelsea as the only true threat this season. My prediction is that this will be a two horse race by Xmas....

Like much of the reporting of the game, I read it as "Liverpool actually played well but were still easily beaten by a City with more to come"

Strange that so many think that Liverpool were the better team in the first half. To me it looked very much like we toyed with a little in it. They didn't really get close to Hart whilst playing their best football. We on the other hand were quite happy to keep them out and almost toy with them at times with our passing. They wanted to play on the break and we didn't let them because to a man everyone in our side did their defensive duty with real gusto. Everytime we went forward we had Liverpool on the rack and it was only our own decision making at times in the final third rather than Liverpool's defending which kept us out.

So yeah, for me we were the better team first half and second. We bullied them without really getting into 4th gear (we were definitely in 3rd gear though!).

I think City are beginning to look like world beaters. We have progressed so so much under Pellegrini. This is a side with a core of players having missed most of pre-season because of the World Cup. This is a side who won the league last season and played about 60games in all competitions. It is a side who everyone else wants to beat. Despite all of that we went to Newcastle and a new £12m signing just completely covered the centre backs who were completely shot come 80mins. It was a professional performance and showed just how strong we are. The movement of Jovetic to allow others time and space, it is pure class. I thought our formation might be our downfall last night, but Pellegrini got it spot on by telling the team to drop deep. I don't think I have come across a manager that I struggle to find fault with. We played into Liverpool's hands at Anfield last season by allowing them to drag us out of position and exploit space in behind.

This time we said, there's the ball, come and get past us. We dropped a bit deeper and they were clueless. Instead, we picked them off as they made the costly mistake. Just like Chelsea did at Anfield last season. From then on we just kept the ball and then within one or two quick passes we found the space in behind and scored two goals that they would have been expecting to score. It was a shame we conceded but yet again it was so professional. We have a squad that can break teams down, can be patient with the ball and can be quick and direct. We have so many options and are looking excellent under a manager who made a few mistakes last season but already from the two games we have played so far, learns from them and knows how to get the 3 points. We didn't sit back and hope for a goal, we stopped Liverpool from playing their game and picked them off.

cibaman said:
melons said:

Like much of the reporting of the game, I read it as "Liverpool actually played well but were still easily beaten by a City with more to come"

Yeah, the candle lighters can huff and puff with the best of 'em.

Juan King said:
Enjoyed the match. I thought we looked pretty solid & never looked like not winning the game. We managed to contain them for most of the game. I thought the only time they ever looked dangerous was for about 10 mins when they were already 3 - 0 down.

So far in the first two games we have looked like a team that means business without really having to get out of second gear. In parts some of our play has been excellent. I think Fernando looks like a great signing already.

The dipper fans seemed a bit more subdued than normal tonight I thought.

Last season the Dippers fans were driven more by hope than expectation, but now they're league champions and have spent north of £100m and have the Champions League to contend with, let's see how they handle the pressure of expectation on its own.

Last season they played only domestic games and had an all out attack, nothing to lose attitude, now they're back in the top 4 they have something to lose again. Let's see if Brenda favours his kamikaze tactics again this season. What's the betting of him keeping his job beyond 12 months if Liverpool fall outside the Champions League positions come the end of the season.

That pressure of expectation is why Brenda was breaking out in hives and the Dippers looked like they were at a memorial service. That's what pressure does to you.

Dipper Support

Were the Dipper fans quiet last night? Didn't hear much from them even before our first goal. Bit of a hangover from last season, I reckon. The Etihed must have been the last place they wanted to visit for their first away game.

Mister Appointment said:
Strange that so many think that Liverpool were the better team in the first half. To me it looked very much like we toyed with a little in it. They didn't really get close to Hart whilst playing their best football. We on the other hand were quite happy to keep them out and almost toy with them at times with our passing. They wanted to play on the break and we didn't let them because to a man everyone in our side did their defensive duty with real gusto. Everytime we went forward we had Liverpool on the rack and it was only our own decision making at times in the final third rather than Liverpool's defending which kept us out.

So yeah, for me we were the better team first half and second. We bullied them without really getting into 4th gear (we were definitely in 3rd gear though!).
They played a good possession game but the goal changed it, and I also felt City stepped it up after half time.

In the 2nd half there was a big gap between the teams, and it looked and felt very comfortable. At times we were playing at walking pace and still they couldn't get close to us.

Brendan Rodgers post match comments stress the positives for LFC, but some of their pundits in the media were honest enough to accept that they were well beaten in the end. eg Jamie Carragher

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.