City v Napoli Post Match Discussion Thread

We really missed De Jong last night. There was a big space in front of our defence last night at times, which he would have solved. That proves how vital he is. Barry is nowhere as effective as Nigel.

To me, Barry and Lescott looked totally out of their depth. They're good players, but they're not Champion's League quality. Lescott really struggles against a team who plays it well along the ground, I've always thought that he's not mobile enough and doesn't read the game brilliantly. Barry just isn't good enough for this level, he's not good enough at tackling for a defensive midfielder imo. Compare him to the likes of Busquests and Cambiasso and they're in a different league to Barry. De Jong is in their league.

I thoguht City under-rated Napoli too. How you can under-rate a team with a front three of Cavani, Lavezzi and Hamsik is beyond me though. We thought it was going to be a lot easier than that, but Tottenham drew their first game last year and had a cracking tournament.

I actually think we can win one or two away games, which not many teams can do. I think we'll finish second. Which is a big achievement!

The attacking players looked tired tonight. Nasri was pretty poor, Aguero and Silva were good but not as good as they have been. A few people have said they were tired, but Nasri only played half an hour on Saturday.

Seeing criticism for Barry and Lescott?! Both played very well and were solid - apart from the wayward backheel from Barry. Napoli were well organised and didn't allow us to play our usual game. Uncharacteristically, it was Silva, Nasri and Yaya that were ineffective and gave the ball away too much - so you boo boys should look there if you want somebody to blame. Or you can accept that we played a good team who managed to control the midfield a bit better than us.

I'm glad we're in a tough group, it will keep us down a peg and teach us what to expect later on in the competition. We'll learn a lot from games like last night. I really enjoyed the challenge, was a great experience.

so anyway. my anal...ysis.

we played well tonight, but not intelligently enough really. We tried to play through napoli in their most congested areas, which led to a lot of blocks and intercepted through balls. they countered well, and positionally were excellent. i'm happy enough with 1-1 after we went behind.

our player ratings:

hart - 6
kompany - 8
zabaleta - 7
lescott - 7
kolarov - 7
barry - 6
nasri - 6
silva - 8
y toure - 6
dzeko 7
aguero - 6

tevez - 6
clichy - 6
johnson - 7

Great game. Thought the boss might have changed things tactically 15 mins into the second half as we were looking vunerable to Napoli's counter attacking.

MotM was Yaya for me, closely followed by Lescott.

Most of what I wanted to post has been covered by others. I cannot be bothered playing the role of parrot. All I want to say is that was a very high quality game played by two very good teams, probably the highest quality game played at The Etihad.

It would not surprise me if two of the teams from our group get to the semi-finals.

I thought the tactics were wrong for a team playing 5 across the back, we had no width but despite this being very evident no change until 75 mins played....poor imo....I guess the league is our number 1 priority.

Napoli were excellent on the counter and I felt the intensity of their football and speed of movement in the 2nd half suprised us a bit, hence mancini's comments regarding our naivety...

People expect napoli to finish toward the bottom of the group but on this showing i think they will give villareal and bayern a very good game.

As others have said, we need 3 wins and a draw to progress so its still very do-able. I expect us to get something at bayern, maybe even a win ;)<br /><br />-- Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:20 am --<br /><br />
lionheart said:
Had to laugh at the young boys on here confidently predicting an easy 5-0 victory. It was always going to be a tough game. Quite frankly, our style of football is better suited to away games where we can use our skill to counter-attack like we did at White Hart Lane. A draw may still prove to be a good result.

-- Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:38 am --

Here is a goodish article from the Guardian, although a little too critical of Bazza for my taste.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/sep/14/manchester-city-napoli-five-things-we-learned" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... we-learned</a>

I hold my hand up and admit I predicted 3-0 city. little was I to know they would set up like everton, otherwise...

DenisLawBackHeel74 said:
I thought the tactics were wrong for a team playing 5 across the back, we had no width but despite this being very evident no change until 75 mins played....poor imo....I guess the league is our number 1 priority.

Napoli were excellent on the counter and I felt the intensity of their football and speed of movement in the 2nd half suprised us a bit, hence mancini's comments regarding our naivety...

People expect napoli to finish toward the bottom of the group but on this showing i think they will give villareal and bayern a very good game.

As others have said, we need 3 wins and a draw to progress so its still very do-able. I expect us to get something at bayern, maybe even a win ;)

-- Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:20 am --

lionheart said:
Had to laugh at the young boys on here confidently predicting an easy 5-0 victory. It was always going to be a tough game. Quite frankly, our style of football is better suited to away games where we can use our skill to counter-attack like we did at White Hart Lane. A draw may still prove to be a good result.

-- Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:38 am --

Here is a goodish article from the Guardian, although a little too critical of Bazza for my taste.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/sep/14/manchester-city-napoli-five-things-we-learned" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... we-learned</a>

I hold my hand up and admit I predicted 3-0 city. little was I to know they would set up like everton, otherwise...
How can you compare Dzeko, Aguero, Silva and Nasri to an Everton line up?

We tried to attack the game in the way we have been doing all season, but Napoli were better at defending than Swansea and Wigan. Surprise?

Was never gonna be easy. Typical "Italian" performance and all credit to them for executing their plan to perfection. They played exactly how Bob set us up last season - might want to consider that in advance any nay-sayers. I believe the words professional and cynical are apt for their performance and maybe over awed for us. First one under the belt and a point gained.

Next!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.