City V Southampton post match discussion

As poor as we looked today, I think it says something about the quality of this team that we still eeked out a win. Only champion-caliber teams win while playing shitty.

Some individual performances stuck out to me.

I was very impressed by Rodwell today. Had a few long passes and was excellent in being quick with the ball and making good decisions (albeit one poor one). I think once he finds his niche in the formation he will dribble more and supply the attack even more so.

Nasri was immense today as I think we all can agree. Looks like he is in pretty decent shape compared to some of our other midfielders.

I liked seeing Clichy and Zaba get up in the attack and supply the much needed crosses. While we were exposed many times due to this, it's never been a problem when Barry and Milner are in the mid and simply teaching Rodwell or whoever else is in central mid to cover the fullbacks is a priority but one that can be easily sorted out.

worrying and underwhelming.

still have the same problems as last year, haven't corrected any of them, defence all over the place, midfield not good enough. if de jong goes we haven't got enough, we NEED a DM in the squad.

aguero could be out for the season, who knows

Rodwell is going to be fine. I was surprised we put him in that role as last man at only 21 and only arriving this week.

Sami is great. I love that he was criticised so much by opponent fans and he carried the burden today. Once Silva gets fit, they should be much better than last season.

Thoughts:

Rodwell had a very good debut. His job is to recycle possession and he did that well. Unfortunately mistake for the goal based on a pass without enough speed, but he's a young lad and I'm excited about him as a prospect. He has that ideal of working in a passing game that is very hard to find. I expect him to get a good 20 starts this year in all comps.

Nasri had a good game technically. More to the point, he was acting like a captain on the pitch, constantly harrassing people who slacked off in the way that Kompany does but also providing a fantastic ball for the assit and a good finish for the goal.

Dzeko was his usual frustrating self. It's becoming more and more clear over the games that he doesn't have the speed of thought to really challenge for a first team spot a City. Great bench player though.

I'll say this now in one of my "predicitions that prove true in 12 months" type moments. Gael Clichy is becoming a world class left back. His defending is great, going forward he's a good player, his passing is sublime considering he' a full back, he has nice pace, is strong and can shoot. People will be singing his praises as above Evra in months to come, mark my words.

Tevez had a nice game, nothing special by his standards but interesting enough to torment the Saints defence.

Kompany was a little flappy at points, though Lescott did okay.

Silva was about 25 miles off form. If it wasn't Our Dave, he'd be getting a slating on here. He's had a long summer and still isn't really up to full fitness, more to come from him.

Zab was a constant thorn in the side of the defence and played very well. Very good defending from him too, which is rare.

Yaya was ok by his standards. Not as driving as usual but made an effort, seems unfit.

That's about it really, Saints were determined and on another day it could have been 4-0 to us or 4-0 to them. Fantastic game for the neutral, advert for the league.

All in all, I'm happy. Points on the board is what matters at this point rather than performance and we've done that. Onwards and upwards.

savo said:
DANNY O'B said:
i think the whole message on a t shirt thing has been done to death now. exciting if not too exciting game, that we couldve quite easily have not won today. all credit to soton they looked lethal infront of goal. nasri starting to show some of the form we saw at arsenal, he was tremendous today. now lets all go back to the de rossi thread..

This^^
Spirited performance from the saints, bored to death of T-shirt messages. Should just let the football do the talking. 3 points as required.

Nasri's message was actually religious - Eid is a Muslim holiday, pretty much like saying Merry XMas

Well that was a bit close for comfort,poor finishing made the game look tighter than it was,but far play to southampton,and as others have remarked lets hope they play like that against our rivals...

Missing your chances will cost you. We should learn it.

Mancini wont be happy with this 3 points, we werent good in attacks and conceded two goals against Southampton.

For me Nasri had a good game, and not many other... Maybe Tevez in the first half.

Silva was shocking, it was worse than his form last year from January. In the Euros he was all right setting up goals etc, scored in the final too, maybe he needs more time.

Dzeko missed from close, Balotelli too they need to have a better conversation rate.

And hopefully Agüero will be back soon but that injury didnt look right at all.

blue since 69 said:
Silva is magic but please do not let him take penalties why did C T not?.
Tevez isn't good at them either.Let Nasri take em but pls don't give pens to Silva.

mansour's tow ropes said:
worrying and underwhelming.

still have the same problems as last year, haven't corrected any of them, defence all over the place, midfield not good enough. if de jong goes we haven't got enough, we NEED a DM in the squad.

aguero could be out for the season, who knows

so we lost then ?

rodwell was immense apart from the mistake

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.