City v Southampton pre match thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hard to look at it since it's 3 games away but let's not forget Arsenal is shortly after the semi-final and will likely be an absolutely colossal game. Would definitely rest Kompany, Aguero, Fernandinho, and Clichy for Southampton.

I fancy us at Southampton, think we've been playing well for a while now (Newcastle excepted). Going for a 2-0 win for the Blues.

In an ideal world our team selection would depend on the Rags result against Leicester , if they fail to get 3 pts , we can afford a draw or defeat at Southampton and still comfortably secure a top 4 spot , as we will still only need 4 pts from the goons and swansea games . But if the rags win , we will have to go for the 3pts at Southampton ,which will mean likes of sagna,clichy,vinny,dinho,kdb,aguero will all have to play. A top 4 finish is every bit as important as Wednesday's semi-final.
I doubt very much any of those you've mentioned will feature on Sunday. I'm not sure what all the panic is about, we've plenty of back up to beat these.

I doubt very much any of those you've mentioned will feature on Sunday. I'm not sure what all the panic is about, we've plenty of back up to beat these.
The problem is Southampton still have something to play for , if they win their remaining games they will be in the Europa league , i just dont't want to be in the Europa league with them :)

We're not in a champions league semi-final everyday, so...

Hart
Zaba Otamendi Mangala Kolarov
Fernandiho Delph
Nasri Toure Sterling
Iheanacho.

Torn on this one - what's a bigger plus for the Madrid game : fresh legs or the momentum of going in fresh from a win?

Tough one.

We should have enough To win either way if we set up right, come on Blues!

We're not in a champions league semi-final everyday, so...

Hart
Zaba Otamendi Mangala Kolarov
Fernandiho Delph
Nasri Toure Sterling
Iheanacho.

This, this, and this. This team has more than enough to get a result. We will see a different Delph in the middle as opposed to out wide left. You know nacho will want goals and Nasri if fit has shown how influential he can be.

I want a strong team and a top four finish as much as anyone, but not rotating will lend itself to another Liverpool performance post league cup final. Lethargic. Throw some players in who are hungry for a game - Delph, sterling, and Nacho. And we know what we get from Zaba (past it or not).

I do not get the weakened team argument. Both Southampton and Madrid are equally important in the larger scheme of things. You cannot gamble all on getting a result at their fortress (no goals conceded and 18 scored in the last 5 CL games there!)

Yes, we might do it and hope we do. Undeniably Pelle will focus on that as it is the only match that matters to him personally as a CL final manager = basically pick of teams and salary for his next job. Whereas he gains nothing from City being in the CL next season and - think about it - potentially eliminates a big front runner of City under Pep for any CL team he manages next.

I am not suggesting he will deliberately undermine our chances. He is a decent professional man. But he will balance things in a direction a manager still here next season might not because RM Wednesday is basically his do or die fixture in the next month.

City - though - as a club have to look in a more balanced way. We cannot decide on the basis of United's result as our team sheet will need to be in when that match has not even ended. Nor should we be going gung ho saying we can afford to lose and still get above Arsenal by beating them and also Swansea because of our superior goal difference.

Yes, it is better - but not on the same scale as over United where it genuinely is worth an extra point. Arsenal play Norwich and end with Villa at home in their other two games. Even if they need to make up 8 or 9 goals on us via those two they are about the two fixtures anyone would pick to credibly have a chance of doing so.

Risking a loss Sunday would be a huge gamble on our CL future.

We should not be doing it. Rest only those we have little option but to rest and where we have good options to replace. Preferably players who WILL be here next season and know how vital a win at Southampton could be for them personally to avoid Thursday nights. Not the players for whom it is just another game to get through. That really ought to be a major part of team selection this Sunday along with these points being spelled out as to why we need to go for it.

Beat Southampton and we can afford a draw with Arsenal and quite probably get third. Draw and we are still in control over United (just care of our goal difference) even if they beat Leicester.

Lose and we may well be relying on help elsewhere and would all but certainly have to beat Arsenal - potentially after extra time and penalties and a flight from Madrid in the middle of the night.

We simply have to look ahead like this and not just gamble all for glory on Wednesday night.

Southampton is a game we could badly do with winning but in any case is very possibly one we simply cannot afford to lose.

We have to approach it that way.

Things go well - we win, Arsenal and United drop points - and we might even have the luxury of resting a few against Arsenal.

For Sunday for Pelle's future possibly he might think we do have to play a weakened team but for the good of the club we simply must not.

Think we have to prioritise Wednesday night. So plenty of changes for Sunday and hope for the best.

Probably take a draw right now, especially if the Rags drop points.

For me strongest 11 for this. Can't miss top 4.
Hopefully adrenaline will drive the lads on Wednesday after 2 days rest, training will be very light I'm sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.