City v Southampton pre match thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's a tough call,realistically we have to go all out for top 4 while hopefully not affecting our chances of CL glory,easier said than done tho.

Agreed. Just hope people on here realise what a difficult decision choosing the team for both games will be and don't simply lay into the manager without some thought on this occasion when the team sheet is announced on Sunday

For me we can gamble on Sunday, as it's still in our own hands win, lose or draw.

Southampton is before Madrid. There are no second chances in Madrid.

Lose to Southampton, we can still beat Arsenal & Swansea and guarantee 4th minimum.

Goal difference would be unlikely. If we lose 2-0 at Southampton and beat Arsenal and Seansea 1-0. They would need 9 minimum in two games. That's a lot to ask under pressure.

Obviously a win at Southampton would be ideal though.

Don't agree. We need to win on Sunday. arguably it's a more important game than Real. Don't forget the stat also of not beating anyone around the top of the table all season. This means Arsenal is a likely draw or loss.
Still think we will end up in the Europa next season.

I do not get the weakened team argument. Both Southampton and Madrid are equally important in the larger scheme of things. You cannot gamble all on getting a result at their fortress (no goals conceded and 18 scored in the last 5 CL games there!)

Yes, we might do it and hope we do. Undeniably Pelle will focus on that as it is the only match that matters to him personally as a CL final manager = basically pick of teams and salary for his next job. Whereas he gains nothing from City being in the CL next season and - think about it - potentially eliminates a big front runner of City under Pep for any CL team he manages next.

I am not suggesting he will deliberately undermine our chances. He is a decent professional man. But he will balance things in a direction a manager still here next season might not because RM Wednesday is basically his do or die fixture in the next month.

City - though - as a club have to look in a more balanced way. We cannot decide on the basis of United's result as our team sheet will need to be in when that match has not even ended. Nor should we be going gung ho saying we can afford to lose and still get above Arsenal by beating them and also Swansea because of our superior goal difference.

Yes, it is better - but not on the same scale as over United where it genuinely is worth an extra point. Arsenal play Norwich and end with Villa at home in their other two games. Even if they need to make up 8 or 9 goals on us via those two they are about the two fixtures anyone would pick to credibly have a chance of doing so.

Risking a loss Sunday would be a huge gamble on our CL future.

We should not be doing it. Rest only those we have little option but to rest and where we have good options to replace. Preferably players who WILL be here next season and know how vital a win at Southampton could be for them personally to avoid Thursday nights. Not the players for whom it is just another game to get through. That really ought to be a major part of team selection this Sunday along with these points being spelled out as to why we need to go for it.

Beat Southampton and we can afford a draw with Arsenal and quite probably get third. Draw and we are still in control over United (just care of our goal difference) even if they beat Leicester.

Lose and we may well be relying on help elsewhere and would all but certainly have to beat Arsenal - potentially after extra time and penalties and a flight from Madrid in the middle of the night.

We simply have to look ahead like this and not just gamble all for glory on Wednesday night.

Southampton is a game we could badly do with winning but in any case is very possibly one we simply cannot afford to lose.

We have to approach it that way.

Things go well - we win, Arsenal and United drop points - and we might even have the luxury of resting a few against Arsenal.

For Sunday for Pelle's future possibly he might think we do have to play a weakened team but for the good of the club we simply must not.

Totally 100% agree. I can see this whole situation being mismanaged by MP and going tipped up to leave us hung and dry!!

Starting to come around to a realization...
if UCL in '16-'17 is the #1 Goal at this point: win at the Saints we must.
-even if it means we get bounced by Real...which seems to be the likely outcome regardless.
SkyBet Advance to Finals:
City 7/4
Real 2/5

Why don't we trial a defender in front of the back 4 for saints game at least we will be defensively solid then v Madrid put mangala next to ottamendi for added height and vinny in front of back four with 2 X ferns sterling de bruyne and Navas counter attack them

The next two games (Southampton and Real Madrid) are going to be two cup final matches as far as I'm concerned. Depending on what happens in both, the confidence of the players will either be sky high and they'll be willing to run through brick walls and sweat blood for the team (if we win both) for the remainder of the season or they'll be deflated and just focusing on the league position, let's hope it's the former rather than the latter.

I prefer the manager to play his best teams for the next two games (perhaps bringing in Samir / Yaya and Kelechi if possible for Southampton) and treat both games like cup finals.

I'd start one of the Fern's alongside Delph and replace them at half time with the other.

I'm surprised everybody has picked Navas. He's started thirteen games on the bounce. Has anybody else played that many? I'd be starting Sterling in his place, as it's vital he gets a decent number of minutes under his belt before Wednesday's game. Was quite surprised he didn't play any part at all against Stoke.

Would start Kelechi in place of Aguero too. He'll be flying after last week.

Full backs will both probably be rotated, but do we need to rest both? Both Sagna and Clichy have had time out recently.

If Toure and Nasri are fit, I'd go with:

Hart, Zabaleta, Otamendi, Mangala, Kolarov, Delph, Fernando, Sterling, Toure, Nasri, Kelechi
Subs: Caballero, Demichelis, Clichy, Navas, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Aguero

If Yaya and Nasri aren't fit, I'd be looking at picking De Bruyne and possibly Manu Garcia or Celina in their places. As good as Southampton are there could be worse places to make your first PL start.

In terms of the debate as to which game should be prioritized, I'd have to say Wednesday's. The big aim of the club is to win the game's biggest prizes and obviously triumphing on Wednesday puts us very close to that. If we didn't get top 4, but lost out on it because we prioritized a CL semi final, then it would still be a blow, but easier to take.

As for a prediction, I reckon this will be a draw.

For Sunday's game, by lineup announcement, Pellers will know exactly what we need from the game. Don't be naive. Pellers is focused on Wednesday but still wants to finish as high as possible no matter what the moaners think. If Arsenal and united both lose, why the hell would pellers start the "strongest" team possible.

Besides, most people are having a go at the managerial selection and there is no focus on the individual player's psychology (which weighs into managerial selections!). Sergio, Kdb, dinho, Kompany...you think those guys give a rats ass about Sunday's game? I sure don't think so. Play the players that want to prove something because they won't see the pitch in Madrid.

All well and good, but what is our strongest team? Most recognised players are knackered and may weaken it at the moment. I think when the eventual team sheet is announced, some recognition of this will be.neede by some on herr
All I know is it includes Hart, Kompany, KDB (in the middle) and Aguero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.