City v Southampton pre match thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big weekend this. Depending on results.

If things go well for us at Arsenal and United and we get 3 points we could need only a draw with Arsenal to guarantee third and no qualifier.

Or if they go badly there and we lose we could need to get two wins and it still might be out of our hands entirely if United win their next three and Arsenal batter Norwich and Villa at home and catch up our goal difference. Hardly impossible.

That is exactly how pivotal this weekend could be.

Resting players is inevitable but full of risk.

What happens next weekend if we go to extra time and pens on Wednesday and lose out heroically? The players will all be shattered then - too - but will have no choice but to play and beat Arsenal or we are probaby playing Thursdays next season.

Of course, Wednesday is a huge night for the club but we cannot lose all focus on why tomorrow matters. Win that game and we could have real breathing space.

Arsenal is going to be a very tough game after Wednesday night whatever the result we get.

We just cannot afford to mess up tomorrow. It is not a game we can take lightly as some seem to be suggesting.

The players got themselves into this situation where we cannot ease off in league games. It is up to them to find the adrenaline and get us through this amazing next 8 days in the history of our club.

These are the games they are paid millions to play in and win. Not all sit on the sidelines and watch.

Big weekend this. Depending on results.

If things go well for us at Arsenal and United and we get 3 points we could need only a draw with Arsenal to guarantee third and no qualifier.

Or if they go badly there and we lose we could need to get two wins and it still might be out of our hands entirely if United win their next three and Arsenal batter Norwich and Villa at home and catch up our goal difference. Hardly impossible.

That is exactly how pivotal this weekend could be.

Resting players is inevitable but full of risk.

What happens next weekend if we go to extra time and pens on Wednesday and lose out heroically? The players will all be shattered then - too - but will have no choice but to play and beat Arsenal or we are probaby playing Thursdays next season.

Of course, Wednesday is a huge night for the club but we cannot lose all focus on why tomorrow matters. Win that game and we could have real breathing space.

Arsenal is going to be a very tough game after Wednesday night whatever the result we get.

We just cannot afford to mess up tomorrow. It is not a game we can take lightly as some seem to be suggesting.

The players got themselves into this situation where we cannot ease of in league games. It is up to them to find the adrenaline and get us through this amazing next 8 days.

Get these 2 games sorted and it will ease all the pressure, for the run in and hopefully the final.

It is a shame that instead of tweaking the CL qualifiers to find a way to let the old guard get in even if they do not on merit - they do not just reward at least both finalists in the CL each year with automatic entry.

Though I guess it will not be that often that a finalist is even in jeopardy of not making it via most European leagues.

Still it would be nice to recognise success in the competition - which anyone getting to a final clearly will have done.

It would also remove from any possibility the nightmare scenario for a manager like Pep might face where he wins AND loses by beating City.

Of course, again that is not going to happen very often (and it is typical City that if it does it will be to us!)

But that simple rule change - both finalists automatically get in next season - would eliminate it from ever being possible again.

And both of any year's finalists SHOULD be in the following year anyhow. The losers of a final have more right to claim they have earned a champions league place than a team finishing fourth in any league.

David Faupala has today posted a pic of himself with Kelechi from the Chelsea game. Maybe he's in line for another first team appearance?

We should be in a position to rest a quite a few tomorrow, as, at the very least, top 4 should have been wrapped up long ago. But we're not.
Instead of needing 4/5/7 pts (depending on Utd's result) to finish top 4 we should be needing a couple of points to wrap up the title.

So, with that in mind, it really annoys me to see MP whining about the fixtures - even if he's right.

Come Wednesday night we could be out of the CL and top 4 could be very much in doubt

(obviously the opposite could be the case, but the point is that we shouldn't be in this precarious position -domestically- to begin with)

Hasn't Sterling performed v well in Europe or have my eyes deceived me?

he has done well against , Kiev and Sevilla , but i dont't believe he would have the same impact playing Real Madrid in the Bernabeu , as i said , not yet , but i think he could be a big player over the next few years when Pep knocks him into shape.

Would go with

Hart
Zabaleta Otamendi Mangala Kolarov
Fernando Delph
Navas Yaya Sterling
Aguero

With Nacho coming on ASAP for Aguero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.