City v Stoke Post Match Thread

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
de niro said:
PinkFinal said:
Congrats Stoke, hope you play as effectively as that v Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc.

they may not have Mason then.

To be fair to Stoke they often are as effective against the other big sides.
Didn't they turn over Arsenal a few times under Tracky Man? And did they do Chelsea last season?

mammutly said:
steveb15 said:
mammutly said:
We need a different approach against teams who play like Stoke. What is annoying is that this nearly happened last year and was repeated against Hull - a game we were lucky to win. There is no point playing possession football (we had 74% yesterday) against a team so intent on defending. We need a more direct style of play. I said before the game that James Milner would be a better bet than Yaya in midfield and I wasn't joking. Zaba would have been a better option than Sagna and Clichy better than Kolorov. Navas should have played from the start, as should Dzeko. That way we could have played with more pace and width, played more balls directly into the box and really pressured their goal instead of passing it around in front of a ten man defence.

Everyone's an expert after the fact, but there have been enough lessons from the likes of Stoke and Hull for City to have learned by now. You can't expect to win playing pretty football against a good team that is intent on spoiling the game and just hoping to nick a goal on the break.

Have you seen our home record over past three seasons? Loads of teams have tried to do what Stoke did yesterday and almost all of them have failed. Not nice to lose but our patient and precise approach has served us well.

I don't think loads of teams have tried to do what Stoke did. I went to every home game last season and the 3 that stand out as playing well organised, entirely defensive, systems are Stoke, Hull and Wigan -Sunderland to a lesser degree. We struggled in all of those games.

I think you are remembering the ones who were at least partially successful. I would add Crystal Palace to last years list. But there were plenty of others who were blown away by early goals and didn't get any joy at all.

The worst I've seen em since the Sunderland game but least we scraped a point then!! Positive note least it's three games in and not three games to go!! Wasn't very impressed with Sagna as he doesn't get forward like Zaba and his defending looked suspect to me? But it's his first game so we can't be too hard on him, his hair is fucking ridiculous though!! Yaya's passing was off all day, Silva looked a little bit undercooked but he will come good as always, Everytime Jovetic received the ball he looked like he wasn't ready to recieve it and his control looked awkward, he has a bit of a knack of trying a wee bit too hard, but that's better than not trying enough, it changed when Fernando went off and Fernandinho was booked as I'm sure Fernandinho would of fucking nailed Douf if he wasn't booked and with an injured Fernando too and the implications of him being banned would have brought, Kolarov should of done better as his tackling is powder puff at best. For such a big lad Kolarov is a fucking pussy in the tackle,that's how you injure yourself going in half hearted!! Nasri was ineffectual which is out of character these days which is testament to his form and improvement. The lads won't know or like this feeling and won't want to experience it any time soon as they are winners. That fat,bald twat of a referee yesterday was appalling 1. Stoke took at least 3 minutes when they scored celebration et al. 2. All six substitutes used. 3. Peter Crouch took 2 minutes strolling off pretending to be injured. 4. Glen Whelan put the ball out for the injured Peter Odimwingie who was off the pitch!! That took 2 minutes.. 5. Mason stopped play for a so called head injury but really because he needed a drink because he isn't fit enough....So PLEASE can somebody out there tell me how we only got 4 yes 4 minutes injury time?????? Mr Mason you Bolton Twat you are an utter disgrace to your over protected egotistical profession and you are also unfit and a bald biased ****!!! Thanks and good night!!

Burtonrdblue said:
The worst I've seen em since the Sunderland game but least we scraped a point then!! Positive note least it's three games in and not three games to go!! Wasn't very impressed with Sagna as he doesn't get forward like Zaba and his defending looked suspect to me?

Actually, Sagna was solid on the defensive end and made some important tackles. Also, he is known as a good crosser of the ball, but didn't show that yesterday, but frankly nobody did. Navas was particularly culpable. I was watching Leicester's goal today with a wonderful first time cross and thinking that's exactly what we failed to do.

Very disappointed with the result but we must move on could do with 4 points from next 2 fixtures or at worse no defeats. No need to panick there's gna be a few shockers this season.

lasereyes said:
Burtonrdblue said:
The worst I've seen em since the Sunderland game but least we scraped a point then!! Positive note least it's three games in and not three games to go!! Wasn't very impressed with Sagna as he doesn't get forward like Zaba and his defending looked suspect to me?

Actually, Sagna was solid on the defensive end and made some important tackles. Also, he is known as a good crosser of the ball, but didn't show that yesterday, but frankly nobody did. Navas was particularly culpable. I was watching Leicester's goal today with a wonderful first time cross and thinking that's exactly what we failed to do.

It was the lads debut and he's only human he's gonna be nervous!! Maybe I'm too big of a Zaba fan!! Was a great cross for Leicester's goal. Yes Navas seems to panic when he gets in a good position he should of leathered it hard and low a few times instead of trying to stand it up for Kun against Shawcross!! About his defensive play Sagna, like I said he was probably nervous and Moses did give him a good workout.

Games like this we need to score early. Stoke had four at the back with two holding mids, all six mostly squeezed into the middle. We will see plenty more teams try this during the season I bet.

First things first Stoke defended really well & they got a bit of luck- us clipping the bar twice & ref decisions. It was a perfect smash & grab win that smaller teams sometimes get at the top ones- it has happened to Barca, Real, Bayern etc, we are no different it happens, thats football.

Also i think we had an off day & Pellers should have picked Navas from the start or at least at HT. The only way u break 10 men behind the ball is pace down the wings or someone going past a man to free up space, (maybe from a worldy shot from outside the box) Navas did this when he came on but too little too late, should of started in my eyes.

The game was a carbon copy of the game we won last season V Stoke & pretty much everytime we play Stoke. They had a gameplan & every player stuck to his task for 90 odd mins - Fair play, not pretty to watch but what do expect from Stoke- open, expansive football?! :)
Surprised Pellers did not learn his lesson from last season & change tact in the game earlier.

Shawcross was immense & how Jones & Smalling get in the England squad over him is beyond beleif, he is not the best footballer of course passing wise BUT he can block, tackle & head the ball away- a defenders job description & he does it consistently well.

I realise we were trying to win the game BUT we left ourselves naively open to their counter attack which lead to the goal & Kolarov should have just pulled Diouf down & took the yellow rather than reverting to type & sauntering back...

That was the most dissapointing thing to me as i felt we deserved a draw & would of got that with a bit more nouse.

Anyway onwards & upwards we will bounce back, of that i have no doubt, we take points off the Chavs & Tarquins & this result will be forgotten.

C.T.I.D

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.