City v Stoke Post Match Thread

Dhruv1 said:
Well I came all the way down from Edinburgh for this one; my first visit to the Etihad.

Shame about the loss but was just a bad day at the office I think.

I guess it's because we weren't playing very well, but it was very quiet where I was sitting in block 230.

Don't imagine it's the norm but there seemed to be only one corner who were singing player songs and such.

But I enjoyed myself as much as I could. Still have complete belief in the team and the manager.

"We'll fight 'til the end. We'll fight 'til the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend. We're Man City; we'll fight 'til the end!"

There is not atmosphere is any stadiums in the prem, only for a bit when someone scores and the away fans. Prices, no standing and many other factors have seen to that

Ducado said:
jimharri said:
Just back in the door about 10 minutes ago. Bloody plane was nearly two hours late leaving Ringway due to the knock on from a delay earlier in the day. Put the tin hat on a shitty weekend, that did.

You do realise that we all blame you for yesterday?
But of course. I've tried not to make this public, and I hope you would keep it to yourself. My real name is actually Jonah. I was actually speaking to two f your fellow modpersons yesterday and they were really nice.

We need a different approach against teams who play like Stoke. What is annoying is that this nearly happened last year and was repeated against Hull - a game we were lucky to win. There is no point playing possession football (we had 74% yesterday) against a team so intent on defending. We need a more direct style of play. I said before the game that James Milner would be a better bet than Yaya in midfield and I wasn't joking. Zaba would have been a better option than Sagna and Clichy better than Kolorov. Navas should have played from the start, as should Dzeko. That way we could have played with more pace and width, played more balls directly into the box and really pressured their goal instead of passing it around in front of a ten man defence.

Everyone's an expert after the fact, but there have been enough lessons from the likes of Stoke and Hull for City to have learned by now. You can't expect to win playing pretty football against a good team that is intent on spoiling the game and just hoping to nick a goal on the break.

jimharri said:
Ducado said:
jimharri said:
Just back in the door about 10 minutes ago. Bloody plane was nearly two hours late leaving Ringway due to the knock on from a delay earlier in the day. Put the tin hat on a shitty weekend, that did.

But of course. I've tried not to make this public, and I hope you would keep it to yourself. My real name is actually Jonah. I was actually speaking to two f your fellow modpersons yesterday and they were really nice.

You didn't meet De Niro then

Chris in London said:
jimharri said:
Ducado said:

You didn't meet De Niro then
Actually, yes. we shared a turnstile yesterday!

mammutly said:
We need a different approach against teams who play like Stoke. What is annoying is that this nearly happened last year and was repeated against Hull - a game we were lucky to win. There is no point playing possession football (we had 74% yesterday) against a team so intent on defending. We need a more direct style of play. I said before the game that James Milner would be a better bet than Yaya in midfield and I wasn't joking. Zaba would have been a better option than Sagna and Clichy better than Kolorov. Navas should have played from the start, as should Dzeko. That way we could have played with more pace and width, played more balls directly into the box and really pressured their goal instead of passing it around in front of a ten man defence.

Everyone's an expert after the fact, but there have been enough lessons from the likes of Stoke and Hull for City to have learned by now. You can't expect to win playing pretty football against a good team that is intent on spoiling the game and just hoping to nick a goal on the break.

Have you seen our home record over past three seasons? Loads of teams have tried to do what Stoke did yesterday and almost all of them have failed. Not nice to lose but our patient and precise approach has served us well.

steveb15 said:
mammutly said:

Have you seen our home record over past three seasons? Loads of teams have tried to do what Stoke did yesterday and almost all of them have failed. Not nice to lose but our patient and precise approach has served us well.
Well said!

steveb15 said:
mammutly said:

I don't think loads of teams have tried to do what Stoke did. I went to every home game last season and the 3 that stand out as playing well organised, entirely defensive, systems are Stoke, Hull and Wigan -Sunderland to a lesser degree. We struggled in all of those games.

Disappointed obviously, thought Stoke were very dogged and we didn't cause them enough trouble to claim that they defended brilliantly until Navas came on and we started to make inroads down their left hand side. I thought we lost this game in the 1st half by not having a go at them.
Teams that come and try to keep it tight must not be given time to settle in at the back, we gave them 20 plus minutes to find their feet at the back yesterday, in fact you could argue it was nearly 40 minutes before we looked like scoring with a decent move.
Get at them straight away, put them under pressure and make them uncomfortable early doors.
Disappointed by Hart, I know we all like him a lot but in games likes these where you need your keeper to make the one save to keep us in the match, his effort for their goal was poor. I just don't think he's the rock that we need as number 1 anymore.
Agree with people's comments about Sagna, looked fine defensively but he was no Zabba going forward but it was his debut yesterday and the pressure was on him so his cautiousness was understandable.
There were times yesterday when he needed to make things happen, needed to take a chance....we were passing the ball along their back 4 for fun but we needed someone just to have a shot, make their keeper make a save, possibly get a rebound, just to get the crowd going and noise levels up.
Still, we are no worse off after 3 games than we were last year yet have had a tougher start so heads up blues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.