City v Wigan Post Match Thread (FA Cup)

TheThirdDeano said:
I'm equally enraged, flabbergasted and genuinely distraught over some of the comments people are making on here.

It's easy to point your fingers at Pellegrini and scream that it's his fault. Same with Demi or Garcia (although less so him these days despite the two dire passes straight to a Wigan player.) But today you'd be absolutely wrong to do so.

'Why did he start MDM today?' Because Kompany needs a rest,he has started and played 90 minutes for so long now I can't remember not seeing him in the starting 11, he's going to suffer burn-out unless you rest him. Nastasic is out injured, but that's simply a side note right now. Pellegrini's hands were tied, he has to choose, play kompany today and Wednesday and the weekend and burn him out completely as we enter a very intensive PL game spree That we NEED to win. Rest him for the FA cup, or rest him on the international stage and have that shoddy defence against Barcelona and be embarrassed on an international stage.

'Those were stupid substitutions' Except Yaya had bottled it, Wigan had got under his skin and we all knew it. He was one ball throw or wild kick away from being sent of, one of which you could feel brewing under his skin. And let's be honest the ref wouldn't have been lenient today. Negredo has been ineffective recently and Aguero needed the run out. Jovetic is injured so again his hands were tied he had to bring Dzeko on. Navas, well, he was always going to be subbed.

But enough about Pellegrini, let's talk about Everything else.
Clichy. His crossing was errant and his defending for the second goal, well, the less said the better suffice to say he should have got to that first. He didn't perform today.
Richards let himself down. His normally driving runs we were accustomed to just didn't happen for the first half and yet he was still out of position a hell of a lot of times.

Lescott had a stormer today, but driving the ball forward isn't really a strong point from him.
Yaya was one move away from a red. Ineffective and brash.
Our forwards once again failed to score. All of them. It wasn't just Dzeko, it was all three of them.

It's reprehensible to blame one player or even go as far as questioning if the manager should be sacked for a loss. Instead we should be sucking up and moving on, you have to take the rough with the smooth, we know that better than anybody

Fair play to Wigan, they defended absolutely immaculately and wanted the win more. It was an absolutely torrid performance from us in the first half and we were with the exception of Silva, Nasri and Lescott.

The one and only question I have for Pellegrini is about MDM. What is it we're not seeing about him? Other than that as long as we make the Champions league next year I'll be satisfied with this year. Although I do expect our transfer team to work some magic with a few of our weaker positions.
Good rational post. It's refreshing to see posts made by people that have an understanding of football.

Bluemoonie92 said:
baildon blue said:
I have been to 3 home matches now and seen 3 defeats . That was worse than the Chelsea and Barcelona defeats . Are season is going down the drain this season . The only saving grace is at we have won a trophy this season .

Haha. similar to my last three games- norwich away, barca and wigan. in fact ive only seen us win four times this season
I have seen us win quite a few times this season at home in the 18 matches I have been to .But that was the 4th time I have seen us lose this season . I only saw 2 defeats at home last season . That was pure shit today though .

The biggest concern for me is how often this season some of our players have this attitude that they only have to go through the motions in certain games. Yaya , although on his day is one of the best city players ever, also has days that he can't be arsed. Clichy made half hearted tackles numerous times today, and what has happened to negredo? I never thought I would see this type of performance from him, not much of a beast at the moment.

I've been a huge Clichy fan since he joined us but that was a disgraceful performance all round today. He looked like a frightened rabbit as soon as he stepped beyond the half way line, bottled so many challenges and his performance was summed up by the shambles for their 2nd goal.

Funny how nobody noticed that Wigan made 5 or 6 changes from the team that beat Forest 4-1 last week.

Marvin said:
Ducado said:
It's never nice losing, but for whatever reason the club have not prioritised this competition, we were poor first half much better in the second

Shit happens, we move on to Wednesday
Today was possible. We were odds on to win, yet we prioritised a game where we are odds on to lose. Even if we win, it will not be worth it, as we could have played Kompany, and Fernandinho today, got this game won and rested players and have good morale.

Pellegrini should go for this.

Getting to Wembley is precious. Every football fan who has put in the years dreaming of opportunities like today would be absolutely devastated to see his team get beat in the manner in which we did

We lost to Wigan at home and we were going for a triple. We are a bigger laughing stock than Man Utd

Last season, Ferguson eked out every point for a struggling squad that was way past their best. Manuel Pellegrini has blown the opportunity for a far more talented squad. Really is poor poor management and I hope there are consequences. Otherwise we'll have more days like today and the best players will leave. They aren't mugs.
You should know better. How many fucking managers do we want at City? Disgraceful comment.

steviemc said:
freewheelinfranklin said:
I try not to post on here often but today was a disgrace...

I don't believe in slagging off MDM or any of the players, but the 2nd string is nowhere near good enough.

At this point I have to point out that Mancini flagged up a number of issues with the squad even in Jan last year.

The same problems are still there, the mediocrity that Mancini was trying to get out of the squad is still there or has been replaced by equally mediocre or worse.

The new manager has come and had half a season, the refresh of faces has had some effect but anyone who's seen us in the 2nd half of this season can see the same faults creeping back in. Even before that, it started with 10 min periods, two or three per game where intensity dropped and teams got at us, even in games we were dominating. re Liverpool & Arsenal...

So the guys I'm really wondering about at this point are the 2 Spanish blokes behind the scenes. Who is really calling the shots when it comes to squad and priorities.

I know some might not like it but I'm going to say it anyway... the rot set in once Mancini was undermined. We're now on a downward curve.
Our downward curve in the PL, Champions League and domestic cup competitions is still looking better than last year. You win the most illogical comment of the day prize...hands down! Try posting a bit less if that's the best you can come out with!

Oh and another thing...

You've said my post is illogical... oh yeah? lets have a look at a couple of things...

1) PL Solid 2nd place to 4th and under pressure to win games in hand... zero margin for error. More games lost.
2) FAC losing finalist to losing Quarter finalist
3) CL out of group but bummed twice...
4) LC early round losers to winners...

is that still an upward trajectory?

TheThirdDeano said:
I'm equally enraged, flabbergasted and genuinely distraught over some of the comments people are making on here.

It's easy to point your fingers at Pellegrini and scream that it's his fault. Same with Demi or Garcia (although less so him these days despite the two dire passes straight to a Wigan player.) But today you'd be absolutely wrong to do so.

'Why did he start MDM today?' Because Kompany needs a rest,he has started and played 90 minutes for so long now I can't remember not seeing him in the starting 11, he's going to suffer burn-out unless you rest him. Nastasic is out injured, but that's simply a side note right now. Pellegrini's hands were tied, he has to choose, play kompany today and Wednesday and the weekend and burn him out completely as we enter a very intensive PL game spree That we NEED to win. Rest him for the FA cup, or rest him on the international stage and have that shoddy defence against Barcelona and be embarrassed on an international stage.

'Those were stupid substitutions' Except Yaya had bottled it, Wigan had got under his skin and we all knew it. He was one ball throw or wild kick away from being sent of, one of which you could feel brewing under his skin. And let's be honest the ref wouldn't have been lenient today. Negredo has been ineffective recently and Aguero needed the run out. Jovetic is injured so again his hands were tied he had to bring Dzeko on. Navas, well, he was always going to be subbed.

Clichy. His crossing was errant and his defending for the second goal, well, the less said the better suffice to say he should have got to that first. He didn't perform today.
Richards let himself down. His normally driving runs we were accustomed to just didn't happen for the first half and yet he was still out of position a hell of a lot of times.

Lescott had a stormer today, but driving the ball forward isn't really a strong point from him.
Our forwards once again failed to score. All of them. It wasn't just Dzeko, it was all three of them.

It's reprehensible to blame one player or even go as far as questioning if the manager should be sacked for a loss. Instead we should be sucking up and moving on, you have to take the rough with the smooth, we know that better than anybody

Fair play to Wigan, they defended absolutely immaculately and wanted the win more. It was an absolutely torrid performance from us in the first half and we were with the exception of Silva, Nasri and Lescott.

The one and only question I have for Pellegrini is about MDM. What is it we're not seeing about him? Other than that as long as we make the Champions league next year I'll be satisfied with this year. Although I do expect our transfer team to work some magic with a few of our weaker positions.
I reckon MDM's got something on MP....
Seriously, I agree with the points you make.
It is churlish just to blame the manager for today's performance.
Some players did not deliver today and luck was most definitely on our side.
Having said that I cannot see why he keeps playing MDM despite the guy dropping game changing clangers.

west didsblue said:
TheThirdDeano said:

Spot on.

One slightly worrying thought is if we can't beat Wigan at home, what chance have we got against Barcelona away?

Realistically? Not much.....

steviemc said:
Marvin said:
Ducado said:
It's never nice losing, but for whatever reason the club have not prioritised this competition, we were poor first half much better in the second

Shit happens, we move on to Wednesday
Today was possible. We were odds on to win, yet we prioritised a game where we are odds on to lose. Even if we win, it will not be worth it, as we could have played Kompany, and Fernandinho today, got this game won and rested players and have good morale.

Pellegrini should go for this.

Getting to Wembley is precious. Every football fan who has put in the years dreaming of opportunities like today would be absolutely devastated to see his team get beat in the manner in which we did

We lost to Wigan at home and we were going for a triple. We are a bigger laughing stock than Man Utd

Last season, Ferguson eked out every point for a struggling squad that was way past their best. Manuel Pellegrini has blown the opportunity for a far more talented squad. Really is poor poor management and I hope there are consequences. Otherwise we'll have more days like today and the best players will leave. They aren't mugs.
You should know better. How many fucking managers do we want at City? Disgraceful comment.
Couldn't agree more. I'm pissed off after today but to call for Pellegrini to be sacked is ridiculous

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.