City vs Bayern Post Match Thread

TangerineSteve17 said:
Exeter Blue I am here said:
TangerineSteve17 said:
Fantastic game, deserved the result. We play at a faster pace without Yaya and in some games I'm glad he doesn't feature. I am sure he'll be picked against Roma, I just hope Manuel puts Milner in the middle again if that's the case.

Ya Ya got a straight red against CSKA, which I think carries a 2 game ban in the Chimps League, so he won't be playing against Roma

Oh yeah so he did. Well as good a player as he is, in a game like this (away in Rome) it might be a blessing in disguise. I would think we need all players chomping at the bit to get a result there.

Not having Yaya is not a blessing in disguise. He might not have covered quite as much ground as Milner last night but I am damn sure Yaya would have contributed more to the game had he been there. He will be a miss in Rome.

What City did last night was actually play with five in midfield. I actually thought we were 4-1-4-1 because Nando was a little deeper than the rest of the midfield. Anyhow, we don't often see that from City but Yaya could have done the job Lampard did last night and Dinho could definitely contribute more than Milner did in central midfield.

Mister Appointment said:
Exeter Blue I am here said:
bondsman said:
A ten man Bayern would win the premier league? They out played is with ten but that was one of our performances in Europe?

Some ridiculous comments on here. We went 1-0 up against ten and then they took the piss for 75 mins in a game they didn't even need to win. Aguero saved us single handedly. Yet again big questions have to be asked. What were those substitutions? Had Bayern not made two defensive errors that would have been humiliating last night.

I genuinely can't believe some of the stuff on here, or in the Daily's (Winter calling us 'embarrassing' in the Torygraph for starters). I watched a game in which Bayern skinned us alive for 10 minutes, we got the better of them for the next 15, and then they controlled possession for the remainder of the half without ever threatening our goal. And bar that first 10 minutes, at no point did we play badly, and their goals were every bit as soft as ours.
'What were those substitutions?' I'd say given that we turned the game around, they were the right ones.
The team played pretty well, collectively and individually, and indeed the only player who made me even a little bit nervous was Kompany. Possession stats for the 90 minutes were 56:44 and pass completion something like 550:400, so to say we had the p*ss taken out of us is ridiculous.

There seems to be a small element both on the forum and in the media who are angry that we turned things around and won the match. They seem angry that they can't wake up this morning and laugh at City for being out of the CL and bottom of their group. Angry that Bayern didn't wipe the floor with us. Frustrated that our striker did the job he's paid to do and bury easy chances when they came his way. Pissy that we defended with purpose and hunger.

These people are making me smile and laugh a lot this morning. Lets go to Rome, beat them, then go on and win the whole fucking thing this season. It might just be written already. :)

I'll happily take us being 'embarrassing' & winning the games for the rest of the competition. Bayern are lauded as possibly the best team in world football at the moment, they had quite a lot of possesion last night, without really creating many chances against us. When you play teams like that, you know they are going to have a lot of the ball, the fact that we stopped them having many chances shows that we employed the right tactics against them. They put 7 past Roma not long ago. They will not lose many games this season & we just beat them, it's a results business & I'll take performances like last night all day.

This was a seminal moment for MCFC in Europe. We'll now venture to the Italian capital and ruin Roma. They will talk about this moment as a turning point in our European history. Expect more big nights this spring, fellow blues.

Mister Appointment said:
Citizen in Pakistan said:
Mister Appointment said:
There seems to be a small element both on the forum and in the media who are angry that we turned things around and won the match. They seem angry that they can't wake up this morning and laugh at City for being out of the CL and bottom of their group. Angry that Bayern didn't wipe the floor with us. Frustrated that our striker did the job he's paid to do and bury easy chances when they came his way. Pissy that we defended with purpose and hunger.

These people are making me smile and laugh a lot this morning. Lets go to Rome, beat them, then go on and win the whole fucking thing this season. It might just be written already. :)

Just because some people don't go with a safer opinion for bluemoon liking here doesn't mean that there unhappy about the result there just to honest ,I was of the same opinion that we didn't played well and got labeled as a rag for first time after being on this forum for 2.5 years ,people say pep teams dominate possession but if they dominate and control the game they did up unitill 85 min with 10 men than something is not right ,we were good in a way we contained the threat of Ribery and robern but that's about it ,but football ain't just about defending its also about attacking and our creativity was hardly there

I saw your post last night mate. I didn't agree with it at the time and I still don't. You need to be able to make a distinction between dominate and control. They didn't dominate anything. They controlled the ball for long periods in safe areas where they were of no danger to City. We were happy to let them do that.

In terms of our attacking play, we had a plan. A clear plan which revolved around Sagna/Navas and Nasri/Clichy using the space Bayern leave behind their full backs. We did that extremely well, only for our delivery to fall short. However I'd say that Navas found more space, was more dangerous, than both Robben and Ribery combined.

Similarly it was clear that Lampard in particular was told to look for Kun early, which he did to excellent effect causing Bayern to go down to 10 men and for us to win a penalty. Again that wasn't luck, and it wasn't particularly amazing play from Sergio. It was about timing and a plan - the ball was timed perfectly and the space was there to run into. In many ways I'd have preferred Benatia not to commit that foul and for Kun to have scored. Once they lost a man, Bayern defensive line dropped 10 yards deeper which changed the pattern of play because there was suddenly less space for us to exploit.

Some of the posts I'm reading are way wide of the mark and would make more sense after a performance like Bayern at home last season or Real Madrid at home the season before. Two matches in which we were absolutely dominated and were lucky to not lose by bigger margins.

You don't have to agree with my opinion mate your entitled to yours just like everyone else but calling some one a rag is an ultimate insult for there opinion or saying stuff like people are unhappy because city won and they didn't get a chance to take a swipe at city,and unlike some people on here who go abusive to players and the manger just because things aren't going well i never did that and you just have to see the match thread before aguero second to know what ppl really thought and you,ll also find a lot of classless abusive comments on there
As per the game plan it would have been right had we were still playing 11 and once bayern were in the lead all they needed was to control the game,possesion because thats the best hope for a team down to 10 and they did that exceptionally well and full credit to the boys for fighting till the end though

Some of the press reports are ridiculous.
Did Hart have a save to make in the second half?

Apparently we were lucky yet Bayern scored a free kick that Keeper should have had and a headed shoulder goal.
Utd score 2 late goals against Bayern in a final after being battered and Bayern hitting the bar twice but according to media showed great courage and determination to keep going.

We score 2 late well taken goals and are lucky, says it all really.

Mister Appointment said:
OB1 said:
Mister Appointment said:

None of those chances that Sergio buried were easy; not even the penalty: they were all pressure shots.

:)

He certainly made them look easy!

No I take your point. I was exaggerating to make a point about our overall performance.

That he did. I thought his finishing was staggeringly good last night, the composure with Bayern defenders snapping at his heels and Neuer bearing down on him...

Without being sycophantic, you, Damo and Exeter have put in some excellent posts in last few pages.

Hey guys... Usually only read, but decided it was time to show myself for a change.

I can see why people would feel we didn't play great, as there were plenty of things that should be better at this level. However, In my opinion, we did play some of the better/best football we have all season. Were we lucky? Course we were, no doubt about it. But that's part of the game and we can't be negative about the perseverence of our lads. That's one thing they will always do: Fight til the end...

The thing that bothers me and has bothered me for a while now is the atmosphere in the stadium. At times we may as well not be there, it's so quiet. Looking at fans from the continent at games, we're (sorry to say) quite embarrassing. Last night, for example... Those Bayern lads never stopped. Now I get that away fans are always louder, but I'd be happy if we made a quarter of the noise they made. It was only the first and last 10 mins of the game that we made noise, the other 70 mins were a joke.

I would bet anything that this is a big part of why we play the way we play. It's up to the supporters to try and lift the team, to be that 12th man, just like we did those last 10 mins in which we won the game. It already goes wrong from the start, when our Blue Moon anthem is played to a half empty stadium... What's that about?! Never see that at Liverpool or West Ham. But people just don't seem to be interested in chanting anymore these days, for whatever reason, and I think it shows in the performances. Such a shame.

Something has to change, from both the players' end as well as the supporters' side. But at least we survived last night. Hopefully we can now turn things around.

Hope I've not pissed anyone off with my comments, as that's not my intention.

How on earth people think we were lucky is beyond me. Up until the sending off we'd pretty much the lions share of the attacking football in that twenty minute period, against eleven men may I add.
Also add to that we were, in all probability about to go ahead against an eleven man Bayern with Sergio bearing down on goal. As it was though the penalty was rightly given and card shown, but I'm not having it we were lucky at all.
We weathered the odd spell, gave a daft free kick away, a piss poor wall set up by Hart and a shouldered fluke loops in.
Other than that it was all us. Lucky? Fuck off.

Mister Appointment said:
Citizen in Pakistan said:
Mister Appointment said:

Just because some people don't go with a safer opinion for bluemoon liking here doesn't mean that there unhappy about the result there just to honest ,I was of the same opinion that we didn't played well and got labeled as a rag for first time after being on this forum for 2.5 years ,people say pep teams dominate possession but if they dominate and control the game they did up unitill 85 min with 10 men than something is not right ,we were good in a way we contained the threat of Ribery and robern but that's about it ,but football ain't just about defending its also about attacking and our creativity was hardly there

I saw your post last night mate. I didn't agree with it at the time and I still don't. You need to be able to make a distinction between dominate and control. They didn't dominate anything. They controlled the ball for long periods in safe areas where they were of no danger to City. We were happy to let them do that.

In terms of our attacking play, we had a plan. A clear plan which revolved around Sagna/Navas and Nasri/Clichy using the space Bayern leave behind their full backs. We did that extremely well, only for our delivery to fall short. However I'd say that Navas found more space, was more dangerous, than both Robben and Ribery combined.

Similarly it was clear that Lampard in particular was told to look for Kun early, which he did to excellent effect causing Bayern to go down to 10 men and for us to win a penalty. Again that wasn't luck, and it wasn't particularly amazing play from Sergio. It was about timing and a plan - the ball was timed perfectly and the space was there to run into. In many ways I'd have preferred Benatia not to commit that foul and for Kun to have scored. Once they lost a man, Bayern defensive line dropped 10 yards deeper which changed the pattern of play because there was suddenly less space for us to exploit.

Some of the posts I'm reading are way wide of the mark and would make more sense after a performance like Bayern at home last season or Real Madrid at home the season before. Two matches in which we were absolutely dominated and were lucky to not lose by bigger margins.

Spot on.

Bluewonder said:
This was a seminal moment for MCFC in Europe. We'll now venture to the Italian capital and ruin Roma. They will talk about this moment as a turning point in our European history. Expect more big nights this spring, fellow blues.

a bold call and i like your spunk young man( i hope your right by the way),

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.