City vs Palace - Post Match Thread

As trite as it sounds, at the Etihad it's all about getting that first goal by hook or by crook. Because once you have it the opposition have to come out of their shell, and like Pellegrini said we are a dangerous team when we have even a little bit of space.

Yesterday saw us finish the game with 53% possession which for a home game is virtually unheard of.

Them having the ball created space and be it by accident or planning i care not, it worked a treat.

4 chances on target and 4 taken is also a sure fire way to win football games and would stop any managers hair form turning grey ;-)

The thing is, that on this occasion, it was his 4-2-2-2 system &, ok, Palace aren't great & there were various faults, but he dropped Yaya, two more athletic players in centre mid & it worked, & we scored 4 goals. In Seville, he played a totally different system, with different players, Yaya backed up by two more athletic centre mids & no Silva or DeBruyne & it worked & we scored 3 away from home.

Why don't we look at having two more athletic players in centre mid, as a general rule, whatever the formation ?
Bang on there. We've got the players to do it.

Yesterday saw us finish the game with 53% possession which for a home game is virtually unheard of.

Them having the ball created space and be it by accident or planning i care not, it worked a treat.

4 chances on target and 4 taken is also a sure fire way to win football games and would stop any managers hair form turning grey ;-)

Part of the issue with 442 is that you accept at times you will relinquish the ball more than you would if you play with a more packed midfield formation. However the flipside of that is that when you do get the ball it's easier to find attackers in space. Honestly what made it work yesterday was Kelechi's movement and work rate. Thought it was noticeable that his dropping into midfield seemed to encourage Kun to do the same. You need that kind of work from the attackers playing that system. Otherwise they can become cut adrift from the rest of the team.

Part of the issue with 442 is that you accept at times you will relinquish the ball more than you would if you play with a more packed midfield formation. However the flipside of that is that when you do get the ball it's easier to find attackers in space. Honestly what made it work yesterday was Kelechi's movement and work rate. Thought it was noticeable that his dropping into midfield seemed to encourage Kun to do the same. You need that kind of work from the attackers playing that system. Otherwise they can become cut adrift from the rest of the team.

I also helps that as one attacker drops deep, he has the option of the other one in front of him. Kun will often drop deep when he is playing up top alone but then he has no options other than just knocking it back or sideways. Kalechi is new, defenders have no idea what he is about but he is quick, confident and as you say, unpredictable in his considerable movement.

The lad is a future star and he is also a lethal finisher.

442 also allows Dave and Kevin or Sterling and Navas to come inside and for the full backs to over lap and get behind, something that Zabba is incredible at and AK for that matter.

We looked confident and balanced as a side yesterday and the players looked comfortable again.

All of those thoughts were my overriding impressions of yesterday too. Was so impressed with Delph. Baffles me when he is overlooked because he has overall been nothing but impressive whenever he's played. Zab looks fitter than he's looked for ages and it was just so good to see him back out on the pitch and flying into tackles. The kid is going to be some footballer in the years to come. Thought he was handled right yesterday - given a deserved start - given an hour - then brought off with applause ringing in his ears. Gutted he didn't score/connect with the ball he chested down for himself in the box, had he connected it would've been a goal.

Happier than I have been in ages at a performance.

If he had connected with that i might have wet myself a little bit.

We had 5 players in the team of the day according to the Observer's Opta stats. I don't think that's in the online edition.

From memory they were Otamendi, Demichelis, Aguero, Silva for sure. The 5th might have been Delph.

Apart from set-pieces, I thought that defensively we were good against Palace. West Ham away will be difficult. We need to leave Yaya out again, and hopefully get Mangala back

Especially if you have no one in midfield who is able to join the forwards. Yesterday Delph did it. Fernandinho can as well.

I'm honestly in shock at the comments on here, I can't disagree more with most of them, that was boring rank average stuff today, no pace til the game was over as a contest, hardly any quality shown, kdb was poor, silva was poor, Fernando was poor, delph been talked about like Colin bell, truth is he was ok, the result was mint and 3 points all day long were accepted but that side and that type of performance will not win much this season, I promise you that. Sat in my seat genuinely bored stiff.

Yeah sack the manager sack the players, should've been ten etc.

A lot of fans deserve to be transported back to the Alan Ball season so they can appreciate what we do now.

Great result yesterday. Precisely what we needed. Aguero looks back to his best and we have three clean sheets in a row. Should give the defence a bit of confidence. Need to kick on from here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.