City Vs Seville Champions League Post Match Thread

They have to get the ball out wide from somewhere and for the most part it wasn't straight up the flanks.

They played through our midfield as if we had 10 men. They were able to dominate that position and play the ball to either their forwards or wide men.

We created nothing like the amount of chances against Juventus as what sevilla done against us tonight. Yeah, you could argue we were a tad hard done by against Juve but Sevilla will feel even more so tonight.

Yes Seville dominated possession (mainly because we were outnumbered in the middle, they always had a free man) and they huffed and puffed... i actually went and looked at the match stats: we had 16 shots 6 on target... Seville had 12 shots but only 2 on target... if you go back and watch the game calmly again you'll see that their goal keeper was more troubled... we are used to dominating possession in the league but Spanish sides are also ball players and they are built for games like these...

i am not saying we played our best game... but we did what was needed to win the game... remember, we need luck and grit to win the CL... remember Chelsea's: it was as ugly as i've ever seen but all people will remember is that they won... all i am saying is let's stop throwing tantrum and stop blaming Yaya specially... if Yaya was as bad as people on this forum believe him to be, he would not be nowhere near the team, or anywhere near the short ballon d'or list... specially after the so called bad year he's had....

What we have done is beaten the current Europa League winners who have beaten Barxa already this season.

We did this whilst missing Silva and Aguero and playing awfully.

I think we need to not praise this as we were dire, but acknowledge that this makes us massively dangerous to any side in the Champions League.

We found a way to win. No one wins this competition in October, merely stays in it.

De Bruyne is the best expensive bargain of all time. His start here has been nothing short of sensational. Silva is the best player I've ever seen in sky blue, but KDB could take that mantle off him if he continues like this for the next few years.

+1

i couldn't have said it any better...

Probably our second worst CL performance behind Ajax away, only one player really came out with serious credit and that was Navas, possibly his best game for us, and for long periods our only threat.

A number of players weren't very good.

Hart 6
Zaba 5
Otamendi 5
Mangala 6
Sagna 6
Yaya 5
Fernandhino 7
KdB 5
Navas 8
Sterling 5
Bony 4

Fernando 7
Kolarov 6
Kompany not on long enough

Why were we so bloody ponderous, our passing so adrift, and no closing down at all. Then suddenly at 85 minutes we started to look like our normal self, and gave it a go ?

I thought the manager played the wrong tactics, with Sevilla able to get through the middle of our midfield and behind the defence far too often, luckily they didn't have the greatest final ball most of the time.

Great finish from KdB at the end, but we got lucky, as we could have been out of it before half time, well done Jesus Navas though.

Nowhere near our second worst game in the CL for me - CSKA at home last year was miles worse. An utterly woeful performance. Dortmund at home we got absolutely battered and would've lost by 4 or 5 of it wasn't for Hart. Even Napoli at home where they hit us numerous times on the counter.

This was a different match altogether. It was open - against a good side - and as such both teams created chances. In fact we created more chances than they did despite having less possession. Plus there were numerous great balls into their box crying out for someone to get on the end of them.

We weren't at our best of course and we do need to set up differently in some of these CL games but we kept going until the end and got rewarded for it.

Yes Seville dominated possession (mainly because we were outnumbered in the middle, they always had a free man) and they huffed and puffed... i actually went and looked at the match stats: we had 16 shots 6 on target... Seville had 12 shots but only 2 on target... if you go back and watch the game calmly again you'll see that their goal keeper was more troubled... we are used to dominating possession in the league but Spanish sides are also ball players and they are built for games like these...

i am not saying we played our best game... but we did what was needed to win the game... remember, we need luck and grit to win the CL... remember Chelsea's: it was as ugly as i've ever seen but all people will remember is that they won... all i am saying is let's stop throwing tantrum and stop blaming Yaya specially... if Yaya was as bad as people on this forum believe him to be, he would not be nowhere near the team, or anywhere near the short ballon d'or list... specially after the so called bad year he's had....

I sometimes wonder if people were watching a different game to me. Talk of Seville should've been 3 up at half time - so what about our chances then? As you say, we created more but it seems to get brushed under the carpet! It was hardly a vintage performance but it was a decent match to watch as it could've spun either way.

Mangala was great,Hart -Sterling -Navas and KdB good enough,Bony-Yaya and the rest ,they were just a dissapoinment .....Poor second half

Mangala was great,Hart -Sterling -Navas and KdB good enough,Bony-Yaya and the rest ,they were just a dissapoinment .....Poor second half

Mangala and Otamendi were great, especially seeing how exposed they were.
Hart some really dodgy moment but some good saves. Sterling didnt really do anything. Kdb was fairly quiet but always a threat. Navas was our best player going forward, really direct and crossing was much better than usual. Yaya was the reason we won the game, but his movement did drop drastically in the second half. Bony wasnt awful, was pretty starved of service so had to keep dropping deep, which he needs to do less of.
Fernandinho was terrible, bullied off the ball countless times, gave away loads of fouls and gave the ball away via some sloppy passing at times. Zabs and Sagna had fairly poor games.

Last edited:
Always a pleasure to listen to Danny Mills on our commentry.
A frustrating game to watch, we nearly paid the price for playing 442, when 451 with Sterling the lone striker whould've been more appropriate.
Still, another entertaining and open game, we seriously missed Silva and Aguero, not only for the obvious reasons, but because they know how to get onto balls in the box! how many would we have scored with some rudimentary anticipation of where a cross might end up?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.