City Vs Seville Champions League Post Match Thread

As much as I thought we were absolute shite, some of the punditry is woefully negative towards us. Danny Mils (I know I should stop myself here) said that he actually didn't think Silva was a miss to us.

And Niall Quinn afterwards saying Sevilla totally dominated. Again, that wasn't true. The game was probably fairly even although they missed a couple of sitters. The problem is, because for some reason we are expected to blow teams away, if we concede a couple of chances it gets greatly exagerrated, so a team coming to the Etihad and matching us translates to a team coming to the Etihad and battering us.

The other thing that bothers me is how they try and discredit the 3-2 over Bayern by constantly reminding us they were down to ten men. So what? They didn't start with ten. They were down to ten because they got a deserved red card after we exploited their high line tactics. BT Sport are really grinding my gears this year. It's really annoying how all the other challengers have a proper media presence in the studio yet our media presence Is made up of players who weren't succesful at City or have a bit of an axe to grind. So that leaves us with pundits making comments on us that are totally baseless given that they quite clearly don't watch us every week. Case in point "I don't think Silva is that big of a miss for City"

Always a pleasure to listen to Danny Mills on our commentry.
A frustrating game to watch, we nearly paid the price for playing 442, when 451 with Sterling the lone striker whould've been more appropriate.
Still, another entertaining and open game, we seriously missed Silva and Aguero, not only for the obvious reasons, but because they know how to get onto balls in the box! how many would we have scored with some rudimentary anticipation of where a cross might end up?

Danny mills for a city game what a fucking joke the guy absolutely hates us and to think he used to play for us .

As for our inability to control games in europe it has nothing to do with formation or komapany not playing something stupid idiots in the media will keep telling us but its more to do with pellegrini's limitations as a coach and how well teams in europe play .

Pellegrini 's tactics has always been to outscore opponents and his defensive strategy is to score enough that the opposition team gives up the match .
Works well enough for us in prem against most teams .
Pellegrini will not change (does not know any other way) and this will happen even with a change in formation or personnel ( fernando play instead of yaya would have probably given us for defensive security but our attacking threat and possession would gone worse and playing 3 man midfield with yaya as 10 is not going to change anything ) .

Last edited:
Just got back and although well chuffed with the three points thought we suffered because of Pellars initial set up of the team.
Two Ferns with either Stirling or Navas to come off the bench in the last 20 mins when they were tiring would have been much more effective. He got it right in the end, but Mr P when will you accept that playing Ya Ya, Stirling and Navas leaving only Fernandinio to protect the back 4 just does not work in Europe ?

He really doesn't seem to get the message.
Game after game in Europe we are overrun in midfield.

Once again we were hugely naive, bordering on arrogant. People can make all the excuses, but we should have been beaten lst night, individual quality has again bailed us out.

Far too many flaws with the system, the lack of pressure, lack of cohesion defensively. We're going to get a hammering soon because the way we play is suicide with the players at our disposal.

Pellegrini will be gone in the summer, and whilst I admire the football we've played, his tactics are borderline suicide. He's making two very good CBs in Otamendi and Mangala look vastly ordinary due to the lack of cover.

Great result. Great game. End to end stuff. Seville a very good side. Think City woke up around the 60th minute & realised they have to pass & move so much quicker to beat sides. Great substitutions MP. Tactical genius ;-) why do some people type f...ing this and f...ing that?..its tiresome & boring reading it.

Last edited:
Pretty even match I thought overall.

We conceded midfield mainly due to formation but also due to personnel.

Sevilla were good, but pretty woeful in their finishing and dodgy at the back - I fancy us to score at their place.

Poor managerial performance by Pellers......again, although he eventually got it right. Also poor by Sevilla boss, who instead of settling for what would have been a great draw for them, went for the win in last five minutes - hence getting caught on the counter in final minutes instead of playing the game out.

Well done City for playing to the end - we got our rewards for that.

Very lacklustre performance. No pressure on the ball when they were in possession. At one point they looked as if they just wanted to pass it across the back four with no intention of going forward but we sat off them so much, it invited them forward and allowed them to dominate and dictate. We got the win and everything looks pretty rosy so credit to us for keeping at it but we look nowhere near the required standard at this level. I thought they looked better than us pretty much all over the park.

I know it's good to win "pretty", but the elation when kdb scored was something else! Loved the reception for captain fantastic for his few seconds on the pitch!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.