City vs Sheffield Wednesday Post Match

congrats to sheff wed fans , the WWYWYWS song after only 1 minute and 38 seconds , surely a record , but a good turn out from the tykes . We had Hart,Zabs,Vinny,MDM,Clichy,Silva,Nasri,Dzeko,Aguero,Dinho missing from the staritng line up , so it was never going to be a football feast , we are in the hat for the next round and no new injuries , job done.

Bilboblue said:
cleavers said:
I know it probably won't be a popular view, but I really enjoyed the game today.

I know exactly what you mean, I felt the same after the Watford match

Agreed, what was not to like? Going behind made the game more interesting and the fact that losing wouldn't have been the end of the world made it fun to enjoy a comeback.

jimmygrimblesboots said:
congrats to sheff wed fans , the WWYWYWS song after only 1 minute and 38 seconds , surely a record , but a good turn out from the tykes . We had Hart,Zabs,Vinny,MDM,Clichy,Silva,Nasri,Dzeko,Aguero,Dinho missing from the staritng line up , so it was never going to be a football feast , we are in the hat for the next round and no new injuries , job done.

The no new injuries is the most pleasing part.

Worrying thing was the performance of the backup\fringe players i.e. players who on current form would not be in the starting 11 i.e. Kolarov, Jovetic, Sagna, Caballero. They were poor and yet they could not surely be fatigued as they have not played much recently.

We take the win and hope\need better v Everton, Arsenal and Chelsea

Got out of jail really yesterday. If any game showed our vulnerabilities more it was this one. Without our really quality players our squad is certainly not what it is cracked up to be. I've been a big fan of Kolarov but yesterday and his last game have been terrible. Sagna doesn't look like the player he was at Arsenal and needs to settle into his role but I've not seen anything so far. At least Mangala and Boyata were relatively comfortable but again the entire back line was pulled across for their goal because of a total lack of diligence at the back. Even Kompany would of made zero difference I think, it has just not been right at times back there for a long time now. Everything involving defending for us often looks desperate and completely wild at times when it should be comfortable.

Certainly without our key players we look a very average team indeed at times, the whole game was flat for us without a single chance until Silva and Nasri came on. The important thing anyway is that we got the win but the way we are conceding at home must be a cause for concern. We need to start thinking about what we should be achieving in this transfer window because I do not think a striker is the answer we should be looking for. We need to start thinking of a quality left back, be it a full time replacement or a back up to Clichy/Kolarov, I'm not a big fan of either looking at the long term. We also need to consider whether our backup attacking midfield options are really good enough. Lampard does a good job which is fine but the bloke should be putting his feet up, not spearheading our attack, that shows really how frail we are up there. Beyond Milner who was already on the pitch, we are completely reliant on Silva and Nasri. At times we looked so flat and I wasn't impressed by Navas who can be so frustrating. We will be fine and step up in bigger games but the problems are certainly present in this team, especially and strangely more so at home.

All in all, good result but a poor, flat and worrying performance.

inbetween said:
Got out of jail really yesterday. If any game showed our vulnerabilities more it was this one. Without our really quality players our squad is certainly not what it is cracked up to be. I've been a big fan of Kolarov but yesterday and his last game have been terrible. Sagna doesn't look like the player he was at Arsenal and needs to settle into his role but I've not seen anything so far. At least Mangala and Boyata were relatively comfortable but again the entire back line was pulled across for their goal because of a total lack of diligence at the back. Even Kompany would of made zero difference I think, it has just not been right at times back there for a long time now. Everything involving defending for us often looks desperate and completely wild at times when it should be comfortable.

Certainly without our key players we look a very average team indeed at times, the whole game was flat for us without a single chance until Silva and Nasri came on. The important thing anyway is that we got the win but the way we are conceding at home must be a cause for concern. We need to start thinking about what we should be achieving in this transfer window because I do not think a striker is the answer we should be looking for. We need to start thinking of a quality left back, be it a full time replacement or a back up to Clichy/Kolarov, I'm not a big fan of either looking at the long term. We also need to consider whether our backup attacking midfield options are really good enough. Lampard does a good job which is fine but the bloke should be putting his feet up, not spearheading our attack, that shows really how frail we are up there. Beyond Milner who was already on the pitch, we are completely reliant on Silva and Nasri. At times we looked so flat and I wasn't impressed by Navas who can be so frustrating. We will be fine and step up in bigger games but the problems are certainly present in this team, especially and strangely more so at home.

All in all, good result but a poor, flat and worrying performance.

That's certainly an issue. Our cup games against 'lesser' opposition in recent seasons have revealed our fabled squad depth to be something of a myth, and they've followed a pattern. Rest our stars, create nothing, go behind, and then end up calling Silva, Toure, Nasri or Aguero, who should all be resting, up off the bench to save the day - risking unnecessary injury in the process. Newcastle in the CO Cup last year, Watford, Wednesday.
A centre forward with real power and pace is still our most pressing issue, but whereas 18 months ago the talk on here was whether we should swap Nasri for Isco, now I think both (and Silva) would be an idea

Played them twice now this season and only played well for about 55 minutes in total.

Had to smile at the typical city moment before kick off playing Hey Jude. Wednesday did that when we were there a few years ago and got us all fired up for the second half there. With our singing fans split more than usual I think we could have forgone it yesterday.

A couple of our players were poor to awful but a win is a win, you don't get a better draw winning 21-0 rather than 2-1 with a last minute winner.

I would have liked more kids on the bench but due to how we performed the bench was spot on.

AS a fringe player Boyata did really well, Mangala had to cover 2 positions most of the time, watch the BBC replays of Kolarov walking back in the build up to their goal, if I didn't know better I'd think Richards was wearing a Kolarov body suit.

Oliver yet again was shocking and yet again missed a penalty for a foul on Silva, since Moses dived has he given anyone a spot kick? it's perhaps time that some sort of fast tracking referee system is set up as 95% of them are a disgrace week in week out.

Wednesday were a bit physical as is the Championship and the Oliver decided to ref the game with Championship rules not Prem rules.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.