CL draw Automated

If the pots were drawn today this is what it would look like based on uefa coefficieny

Pot One - Man City, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, PSG, Liverpool, Inter Milan, Borussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig, Barcelona

Pot Two - Bayer Leverkusen, Atletico Madrid, Atlanta, Juventus, Benfica, Arsenal, Club Brugge, Shakhtar Donetsk, AC Milan

Pot Three - Feyenoord, Sporting CP, PSV, Lille*, PAOK*, Young Boys*, Celtic, Galatasaray*, Union SG*

Pot Four - Midtylland*, AS Monaco, Sparta Prague*, Aston Villa, Bologna, Girona, Stuttgart, Sturm Graz, Stade Brestois

* Clubs yet to advance through qualifying rounds - clubs with highest UEFA coefficients included here

So for example we could play Real Madrid, Juventus, Celtic and Stuttgart
PAOK and Union SG have already gone out.

Depends what you want the end goal to be.

Might sound like semantics, but I want us to be the best, and for everyone to know we're the best. That to me isn't necessarily about winning the Cup (although it can help obviously). If we were to win it playing a load of lower level teams, it wouldn't feel as good to me. I want us outplaying Madrid and destroying Barca on the way to winning it.
And I want us to beat the bigger teams in the later rounds and get to experience different teams early on. I've been just as excited drawing Red Star Belgrade last season as playing against Real Madrid for the third consecutive season. Playing the same teams year after year is more or less the Super League that most football fans in the country despised the idea of.

I think it's despicable that giant clubs like Celtic, Dynamo Kiev, Red Star Belgrade, Benfica, Marseille, Steaua Bucharest, Galatasaray etc have virtually no chance of competing in the Champions League later stages because of the country that they are from, where Atletico or Spurs can finish 3rd or 4th in La Liga and get to semis and finals of the Champions League.

And I want us to beat the bigger teams in the later rounds and get to experience different teams early on. I've been just as excited drawing Red Star Belgrade last season as playing against Real Madrid for the third consecutive season. Playing the same teams year after year is more or less the Super League that most football fans in the country despised the idea of.

I think it's despicable that giant clubs like Celtic, Dynamo Kiev, Red Star Belgrade, Benfica, Marseille, Steaua Bucharest, Galatasaray etc have virtually no chance of competing in the Champions League later stages because of the country that they are from, where Atletico or Spurs can finish 3rd or 4th in La Liga and get to semis and finals of the Champions League.

I do agree about your second paragraph, and it being almost Super League by stealth.

However, even then you can't deny the atmosphere at home to Real, Barca, Bayern, PSG even, tops playing sides like Red Star?

I think basically though the new format keeps games against the other pots but just finds a way to allow a couple of bigger clashes too.

I'm interested by it. Not convinced that I won't moan about the unfairness of it at some point, due to how random the fixtures might be, but it could work well.

No matter who we get they will be fearing us far more than us fearing them. We're the best team in Europe.

I do agree about your second paragraph, and it being almost Super League by stealth.

However, even then you can't deny the atmosphere at home to Real, Barca, Bayern, PSG even, tops playing sides like Red Star?

I think basically though the new format keeps games against the other pots but just finds a way to allow a couple of bigger clashes too.

I'm interested by it. Not convinced that I won't moan about the unfairness of it at some point, due to how random the fixtures might be, but it could work well.
I agree. The atmosphere is better but that's the way football has gone. Had we been in Europe in the 80's, we'd have probably seen great atmospheres at Maine Road against some of those I've mentioned. It pisses me off that a lot of football fans are only interested in matches against the G14 clubs these days.

Red Star might not have been last season actually. When we played them at home, their subs were warming up at pitch side in front of 111. A few spotty virgins who had probably had one too many shandies were chanting "Who the fucking hell are you?" at them. I remember thinking that this was a team who has won the European Cup once more in my lifetime than City had at that point.

I've already posted this in the thread in the main forum, but there is a simulator here

Just ran it and we got Real Madrid, Juve, Dinamo Zagreb, and Stuttgart at home, and then Dortmund, Benfica, RB Salzburg, and Slovan Bratislava away.

Just tried it myself.

Home - Barca, AC Milan, Feyenoord, Stuttgart

Away - PSG, Juventus, RB Salzburg, Sturm Graz.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.