Classic Gigs

waterloo blue said:
Stone Roses at Blackpool,details are very sketchy but for atmosphere unreal.

I remember every bit of it - was probably the only sober person in the venue!
Borrowed the works Transit van - said i was buying a bit of furniture - and off 7 of us went to Blackpool. Me and 2 others in the front and 4 in the back with a bong.
Shat myself all gig - the van had recently had a phone installed and tried to disguise the wires and handset underneath a load of clothes. And then shat myself that the van would be nicked or spotted (had the company name / address all over the sides and rear).

Everyone around me was off on one thing or another. And I was sober! It was a fantastic gig sober, must have been even better ''on one''.
Was the first time I heard the ''Manchester la la la'' chant at a gig. Great stuff.

Thankfully the van was safe and sound on return. We drove back home and one lad said there was a rave on Urmston Meadows (was living in Sale at the time). We get there and there are 20 / 30 lads milling round but nothing happening, so we mooched around the Meadows (looking for the rave) until the police arrived and moved us all on......
Great night lol

So many to choose from, but top 5ish list:

Radiohead-Grant Park, Chicago August 2001. Chicago skyline in the background-just surreal

Doves with the Strokes "opening" for them at St. Andrews Hall, Detroit in 2001. The Strokes were stopped at the border by US Customs so actually played after Doves in the basement of St. Andrews. About 200 of us stayed after to watch them drinking with Jimi Goodwin and talking City-great experience

The Joy Formidable @ the Double Door, Chicago last summer. Free gig that ended at 1am. Small bar setting with just great sound and passion. One of the best nights of my life.

Smashing Pumpkins @ St. Andrews Hall Detroit in 2000. Their first gig with the original line-up after Jimmy Chamberlain returned from being kicked out.

Coldplay @ the Eagles Ballroom, Milwaukee on the eve of A Rush of Blood to the Head being released. Say what you will they were immense in an anthemic way back then. Just an uplifting gig.

And there are many other honourable mentions, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds @ the Manchester Apollo last October, Kasabian @ the Double Door Chicago in 2005, the Kills @ Terminal 5 last February for the 10th Anniversary show. Live music is what separates good bands from great.

Elbow at the empress ballroom Blackpool 2 years ago was great, also the Corals Butterfly House acoustic tour at the Ruby Lounge and Tom Hingley at Cheers bar in bowker vale, older gigs have unfortunately paled into half memories nowadays

Stood in The South Stand said:
Best 5 gigs I've been to,
1) Oasis, Empress Ballroom 2/10/95 the day Morning Glory came out. I was 15 and it was the first gig I ever went to.

I cant quite believe this. This was my first ever gig. And I too was 15.

Are you me?

roman totale said:
James (when they were good) blowing The Smiths off stage at the Palace

Steady on mate! I was at this gig and I'd agree James were fucking fantastic that night. In fact, it was the first time I'd ever seen a support act get an encore (which IIRC was 'If Things Were Perfect' for the 2nd time in the set as they'd run out of songs!).

But the band hasn't been born that could blow The Smiths off the stage!

Incidentally, any shouts for loudest gig attended? Mine's Oasis at the Academy. Can't remember the year but it was around the Xmas time when 'Whatever' was released. My ears were ringing for about a week after.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.