Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

Guess this is the place to mention this. Went to see Geddy Lee in conversation about his autobiography at the Barbican. David Baddiel was the interviewer for the first half - it’s a Jewish thing.

The second half ended with about an hour of audience questions (chosen from pre submissions) and asked by a second interviewer / compère but also sharing the stage was Alex Effin‘ Lifeson, which was to say a joyous surprise. I believe he also appeared at the Toronto show.

A really good evening and, maybe, just maybe, Geddy and Alex might tour again. They relayed a story from backstage at the Taylor Hawkins gig at Wembley, where they met Paul McCartney, who told them they had to keep playing live.

Guess this is the place to mention this. Went to see Geddy Lee in conversation about his autobiography at the Barbican. David Baddiel was the interviewer for the first half - it’s a Jewish thing.

The second half ended with about an hour of audience questions (chosen from pre submissions) and asked by a second interviewer / compère but also sharing the stage was Alex Effin‘ Lifeson, which was to say a joyous surprise. I believe he also appeared at the Toronto show.

A really good evening and, maybe, just maybe, Geddy and Alex might tour again. They relayed a story from backstage at the Taylor Hawkins gig at Wembley, where they met Paul McCartney, who told them they had to keep playing live.
Sounds good. David Baddiel being the compere makes sense - there's a lot of Jewish-related anecdotes (and not so amusing stuff) throughout the book.

It's a long time since Rush's last tour and you wonder how Lee & Lifeson will get back on the stage after such a long time out and given that they are now in their 70s. What I mean by this is that 8 years seems to be a long time "hanging around", but when you read the book and add up Neil's illness and death running right into the pandemic, it doesn't seem so long.

Sounds good. David Baddiel being the compere makes sense - there's a lot of Jewish-related anecdotes (and not so amusing stuff) throughout the book.

It's a long time since Rush's last tour and you wonder how Lee & Lifeson will get back on the stage after such a long time out and given that they are now in their 70s. What I mean by this is that 8 years seems to be a long time "hanging around", but when you read the book and add up Neil's illness and death running right into the pandemic, it doesn't seem so long.
They did ok at Hawkins show, but I guess that was what 20 mins, rather than 3 hours. I don’t think it would be ‘An Evening With ..’ format if they did play, though I sincerely hope no fan would grumble if they ‘only’ did a 90 min show for example.

I’d seen online Alex had shown up at some other UK shows too.
The most revelatory thing in OB1’s post is that McCartney is a fan!

Thanks for sharing @OB1.
As a big Yes fan it seemed a Natural progression into Rush.
I rushed (get it) into the back catalogue around the time of Hemispheres and loved 2112 and Farewell to Kings.
Couldn’t really feel the love for Hemispheres but came back for Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.
My tastes were changing by the sub par Signals and I moved on to other bands.
I did buy Power Windows a few years back primarily for the wonderful “Marathon”.
Always a soft spot particularly for the brilliance of Peart and Lee masters of their craft.

They did ok at Hawkins show, but I guess that was what 20 mins, rather than 3 hours. I don’t think it would be ‘An Evening With ..’ format if they did play, though I sincerely hope no fan would grumble if they ‘only’ did a 90 min show for example.

I’d seen online Alex had shown up at some other UK shows too.
The most revelatory thing in OB1’s post is that McCartney is a fan!

I went to the Taylor Hawkins show and Alex and Geddy were good. No point pretending Geddy's voice hasn't faded but you just have too accept that.

McCartney didn't know them but was impressed when he saw them. "Offered" to manage them! He quoted Ringo to them: "This is what we do" and pointed out that he was still playing 3 hour gigs at 80 years old.

The Stones are touring in the U.S. next year and they were superb at Hyde Park last year. I'm hoping they will tour the UK again.

I'm also hoping to see Bruce at Wembley next July, had to sell my tickets for last year's show due to a clash. Might happen again due to hols.

Anyway Lee & Lifeson ain't too old to tour again and they looked well last night. Don't know if they will grace us with their presence but Geddy did finish by saying "hope to see you again".

Thanks for sharing @OB1.
As a big Yes fan it seemed a Natural progression into Rush.
I rushed (get it) into the back catalogue around the time of Hemispheres and loved 2112 and Farewell to Kings.
Couldn’t really feel the love for Hemispheres but came back for Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.
My tastes were changing by the sub par Signals and I moved on to other bands.
I did buy Power Windows a few years back primarily for the wonderful “Marathon”.
Always a soft spot particularly for the brilliance of Peart and Lee masters of their craft.

Yes are Geddy's favourite band. He told about being nervous before playing with them. He spent two weeks learning Roundabout.

I love "Signals".

I went to the Taylor Hawkins show and Alex and Geddy were good. No point pretending Geddy's voice hasn't faded but you just have too accept that.

McCartney didn't know them but was impressed when he saw them. "Offered" to manage them! He quoted Ringo to them: "This is what we do" and pointed out that he was still playing 3 hour gigs at 80 years old.

The Stones are touring in the U.S. next year and they were superb at Hyde Park last year. I'm hoping they will tour the UK again.

I'm also hoping to see Bruce at Wembley next July, had to sell my tickets for last year's show due to a clash. Might happen again due to hols.

Anyway Lee & Lifeson ain't too old to tour again and they looked well last night. Don't know if they will grace us with their presence but Geddy did finish by saying "hope to see you again".
Oh yes, if they were to play live again but not come to the UK (again), I’d be absolutely gutted.

Yes are Geddy's favourite band. He told about being nervous before playing with them. He spent two weeks learning Roundabout.

I love "Signals".
It’s changed over time but for a good few years now, Subdivisions has probably been my favourite Rush track.

Reactions: OB1
Who could and would fill that venerable drum stool though Chester ?
Hmmm, now you’re asking pal!
I’m genuinely not sure. I’ve got friends who are much more into their drumming than me, but I don’t think I could name one who has a style nearest to Neil.
I’ll see if watching the match tonight provides me with any thoughts on that …

On a different, and possibly radical note, for years I thought that when they played live they should have added (at least) one more member. Basically for the synths and keyboards. There were rumours from the mid-80s the band had a hidden synth player, but iirc the truth of it was a synth technician who helped set up / trigger synth pads.

I know Geddy can trigger it all, but - and this is all personal - I prefer hearing sounds played live when I see a rock band.
So now, esp if they were to go out under their own names, not Rush, and factoring in Geddy’s age, I’d like to see him pass over synth duties and just focus on his bass and singing.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.