Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

Hmmm, now you’re asking pal!
I’m genuinely not sure. I’ve got friends who are much more into their drumming than me, but I don’t think I could name one who has a style nearest to Neil.
I’ll see if watching the match tonight provides me with any thoughts on that …

On a different, and possibly radical note, for years I thought that when they played live they should have added (at least) one more member. Basically for the synths and keyboards. There were rumours from the mid-80s the band had a hidden synth player, but iirc they truth of it was a synth technician who helped set up / trigger synth pads.

I know Geddy can trigger it all, but - and this is all personal - I prefer hearing sounds played live when I see a rock band.
So now, esp if they were to go out under their own names, not Rush, and factoring in Geddy’s age, I’d like to see him pass over synth duties and just focus on his bass and singing.
Some very good stuff about the triggered synths in his book. He said they practised so much before a tour that it got to the stage where it was so locked into his brain that he could be performing (I.e. playing bass, singing and triggering the synth parts) whilst still be thinking about mundane things and daydreaming at the same time.

Like you say, it would make sense for them to bring extra musicians in - that way it wouldn’t feel too bad about having a different drummer.

Hmmm, now you’re asking pal!
I’m genuinely not sure. I’ve got friends who are much more into their drumming than me, but I don’t think I could name one who has a style nearest to Neil.
I’ll see if watching the match tonight provides me with any thoughts on that …

On a different, and possibly radical note, for years I thought that when they played live they should have added (at least) one more member. Basically for the synths and keyboards. There were rumours from the mid-80s the band had a hidden synth player, but iirc the truth of it was a synth technician who helped set up / trigger synth pads.

I know Geddy can trigger it all, but - and this is all personal - I prefer hearing sounds played live when I see a rock band.
So now, esp if they were to go out under their own names, not Rush, and factoring in Geddy’s age, I’d like to see him pass over synth duties and just focus on his bass and singing.
Drummer to fill in for Peart: Mike Portnoy, mind you he has just rejoined Dream Theater but he is a dab hand at playing in multiple bands. Pretty sure DT have been known to cover Rush songs live.

Some very good stuff about the triggered synths in his book. He said they practised so much before a tour that it got to the stage where it was so locked into his brain that he could be performing (I.e. playing bass, singing and triggering the synth parts) whilst still be thinking about mundane things and daydreaming at the same time.

Like you say, it would make sense for them to bring extra musicians in - that way it wouldn’t feel too bad about having a different drummer.

They could get additional musicians because they won’t go out as Rush if they do actually do something.

Oh yes, if they were to play live again but not come to the UK (again), I’d be absolutely gutted.

They would come to the UK, I’m sure. Geddy basically apologised for not bringing the final tour to the UK: he explained that he and Alex wanted to include UK, Europe and Brazil but Neil wouldn’t do it. The fact he brought his book tour to the UK speaks for itself. The warmth of the reception he got will have done no harm in that regard either. The Barbican Hall has three levels and was full (of me of a certain age) just to see him talk. Saw a pic from Portsmouth and that was full.

Think he was allowed back in Dream Theater pretty much on the condition he drops all his side projects and Dream Theater is his prime consideration.Plus they are planning recording a new album and tour straight after. Think for that reason he wouldn't do any Rush tour.

Not convinced that he wouldn’t do a “Rush” tour.

Not convinced that he wouldn’t do a “Rush” tour.
It’s impossible to know and much would depend on timings, just the bits I’ve heard about the negotiations for him to rejoin DM it sounds like there were strict conditions laid down for him which were around his other activities and priorities.

Reactions: OB1
They would come to the UK, I’m sure. Geddy basically apologised for not bringing the final tour to the UK: he explained that he and Alex wanted to include UK, Europe and Brazil but Neil wouldn’t do it. The fact he brought his book tour to the UK speaks for itself. The warmth of the reception he got will have done no harm in that regard either. The Barbican Hall has three levels and was full (of me of a certain age) just to see him talk. Saw a pic from Portsmouth and that was full.
It was but there was a lot half price tickets available

Reactions: OB1
It was but there was a lot half price tickets available
Meant to ask one of you @OB1 who’ve been to see him, I know it might seem a minor point if he was there to reflect on his whole life/career, but was there any mention made of the 40th anniversary re-issue campaign?
I’m interested because the Signals one which was most recent was a bit underwhelming - I was really hoping a full live show from that tour would be included - and so I’m really hoping for much better from the p/g release which I assume is coming next year.

A full expanded video (or even just audio) from the 60 min Montreal tour video would be great

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.