Clive Allen

Went to the Notts County on the video and it was a mix of joy and frustration seeing how the team could have been improved by having Allen in the side on a regular basis. If memory serves me correct he also scored the winner from the bench in the cup tie at Port Vale.

Peter Reid got few things right to be honest. Selling Michael Hughes to Strasbourg and paying double the amount for Rick Holden, wasting 5 million on a centre back (keith curle who I rated) and a left back when the side was crying out for a bit of midfield creativity, an obsession with trying to resign Paul Stewart for 2 million. Selling Hendry and keeping Redmond and of course the Adrian heath decision. And finally the brand of football was the worst I had ever watched.
Was at that game. It was bizarre how Clive was never first name on the team sheet. Not sure Curle was £5m though.

Looking at the squad at tge start of the 91-92 season before Reid started selling the quality we had left we could have fielded a first 11 of

Coton
Hill
Curle
Hendry
Pointon

Hughes
Brightwell
Flitcroft
White

Quinn
Allen

Instead Reid picked himself, mcmahon, heath and megson more. Although heath was sold mid season

Think the article summed it up well really, Clive was there to score goals, he was never going to track back etc, so it was a question of what the manager wanted.

Do think it’s a little harsh on Reid in so much as he wanted more from his striker in much the same way Pep does, whilst no doubt Pep would have improved Clive immeasurably, I’m not sure he would have had the work rate required to impress Pep and stay in the side ?
Pep even said about Sergio, the greatest striker in the Premier League that he would (paraphrasing) have to work on other parts of his game with his work rate.

Looking at the squad at tge start of the 91-92 season before Reid started selling the quality we had left we could have fielded a first 11 of

Coton
Hill
Curle
Hendry
Pointon

Hughes
Brightwell
Flitcroft
White

Quinn
Allen

Instead Reid picked himself, mcmahon, heath and megson more. Although heath was sold mid season
Yet despite all that, if it wasn't for a run of 5 defeats in 7 games during February and March 1992, we may well have won the league. We finished 12 points behind eventual champions Leeds and battered them 4-0 at Maine Road to seemingly extinguish their title hopes. To this day, I've maintained that if Kendall hadn't left when he did, we'd have challenged for the title in 91-92, and perhaps even won it because Reid was an inferior manager and Kendall would've surely got us a lot closer. Despite that, I think it's a bit of a myth that we always played shite football under Reid. There were plenty of good footballing performances to pick from in his first season and a half as our manager. However, I totally agree about the treatment of Clive Allen under both Kendall and Reid. It used to wind me up to fuck!

Last edited:
Went to the Notts County on the video and it was a mix of joy and frustration seeing how the team could have been improved by having Allen in the side on a regular basis. If memory serves me correct he also scored the winner from the bench in the cup tie at Port Vale.

Peter Reid got few things right to be honest. Selling Michael Hughes to Strasbourg and paying double the amount for Rick Holden, wasting 5 million on a centre back (keith curle who I rated) and a left back when the side was crying out for a bit of midfield creativity, an obsession with trying to resign Paul Stewart for 2 million. Selling Hendry and keeping Redmond and of course the Adrian heath decision. And finally the brand of football was the worst I had ever watched.
Until Pearce came along.

Ah, I misread it. Curle and Phelan were alright, but I think we paid over the odds.

That was it, I really liked Curle but at the time we were crying out for a top draw midfielder and that was top money for a Centre Half when we had Colin Hendry there. Phelan I was not the biggest fan, think he was the most expensive left back in the world at the time, but was no where near the best left back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.