Clive Allen

The article is a work of fiction getting basic facts incorrect. Discard under bollocks.

I sat next to Clive Allen a few times in the Main Stand when he wasn't playing which as we know wasn't that often. I asked him once what he had done to Reid to treat him like he did? He just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. He came across as a genuinely nice guy. I also once gave Peter Reid some serious verbal's during one game of kick and rush football that Reid & Ellis were so fond of and actually tried to start a 'Reid Out' chant - which was interesting in the old Main Stand... At the end of the game the bloke sitting next to me tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to the woman sat directly in front of me and said 'that's Peter Reid's wife'. I didn't give a shit. Hated him as a manager.

Went to the Notts County on the video and it was a mix of joy and frustration seeing how the team could have been improved by having Allen in the side on a regular basis. If memory serves me correct he also scored the winner from the bench in the cup tie at Port Vale.

Peter Reid got few things right to be honest. Selling Michael Hughes to Strasbourg and paying double the amount for Rick Holden, wasting 5 million on a centre back (keith curle who I rated) and a left back when the side was crying out for a bit of midfield creativity, an obsession with trying to resign Paul Stewart for 2 million. Selling Hendry and keeping Redmond and of course the Adrian heath decision. And finally the brand of football was the worst I had ever watched.

This was the george graham bung era & after all that came to light I was very suspicious about a lot of our transfers in this period. We had a few Norwegians that we paid a fairvbit for Ingebritsen & Hoekman I think.

Edit: Hoekman is Dutch but was a bazaar transfer.

Clive had been a class act but his legs were going by the time we signed him. Main thing i remember about him except for the Chelsea goal is when he got injured a week before the derby and everyone thought shit who’s gonna grab a goal for us now …… the rest is history :-)

Went to the Notts County on the video and it was a mix of joy and frustration seeing how the team could have been improved by having Allen in the side on a regular basis. If memory serves me correct he also scored the winner from the bench in the cup tie at Port Vale.

Peter Reid got few things right to be honest. Selling Michael Hughes to Strasbourg and paying double the amount for Rick Holden, wasting 5 million on a centre back (keith curle who I rated) and a left back when the side was crying out for a bit of midfield creativity, an obsession with trying to resign Paul Stewart for 2 million. Selling Hendry and keeping Redmond and of course the Adrian heath decision. And finally the brand of football was the worst I had ever watched.

This was the george graham bung era & after all that came to light I was very suspicious about a lot of our transfers in this period. We had a few Norwegians that we paid a fairvbit for Ingebritsen & Hoekman I think.
Sure he wasn't Turkish?

;-)
Played like he wore Turkish slippers

Clive Allen was a natural striker and got his share of goals /per starts at all his clubs including golden boot at Spurs in 1987. Perhaps his work rate wasn't top drawer but neither was Jimmy Greaves'. Allen was badly treated by Peter Reid and ultimately forced out of the club even having to train alone with the kids instead of the 1st team squad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.