Clive Allen

I loved the sentence:
“Allen announced his return by scoring two goals from the bench in the next two games.”

I had this vision of him sitting on the bench, the ball bouncing in front of him and him kicking it toward the goal!

Oh I dunno - Rooney once made Garth Crooks team of the week when he was an unused sub.

A midfield of Megson Reid and McMahon says enough.

Heath over Allen was utterly ludicrous, coming in scoring 2 on his return and then being dropped again immediately was moronic beyond belief.

Think the article summed it up well really, Clive was there to score goals, he was never going to track back etc, so it was a question of what the manager wanted.

Do think it’s a little harsh on Reid in so much as he wanted more from his striker in much the same way Pep does, whilst no doubt Pep would have improved Clive immeasurably, I’m not sure he would have had the work rate required to impress Pep and stay in the side ?
Pep even said about Sergio, the greatest striker in the Premier League that he would (paraphrasing) have to work on other parts of his game with his work rate.
It has worked out well for Jesus.

Flamboyant attacking left-sided forward seemingly reduced to some hardworking striker Burnley would be proud of.

My mate was working for a decorating firm who were painting Platt Lane around that time

I always remember him telling me that Clive Allen and Howard Kendal were the only two that stopped to chat with them all the time

the most ignorant Wanker out of them all.. would you believe it.. Hinchcliffe!!

My mate was working for a decorating firm who were painting Platt Lane around that time

I always remember him telling me that Clive Allen and Howard Kendal were the only two that stopped to chat with them all the time

the most ignorant Wanker out of them all.. would you believe it.. Hinchcliffe!!

Everyone likes Clive Allen. Seemingly one of life's nice guys. Missus has met him on Spurs' travels through Europe. Always happy to have a chat. Very personable. The missus got him to ring me when she was chatting to him before Spurs played Braga in Portugal. I must have chatted to him for over 5 minutes.

Cheers for this. Never understood why we never saw him as much. I remember the season he scored fuckloads for Spurs and when we bought him I was certain we'd be so much better for it. We went downhill until Horton arrived in regards to the style of football we had to put up with when Kendall and then Reid decided 70s football was still the pinnacle.

He played for seven different London clubs - must be some sort of record?
Famously signed for Arsenal for a million quid then left a couple of months later without playing a game for them. The mind boggles as to what kind of shady underhand dealings underpinned that transfer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.