Club Badge (merged)

After that performance yesterday, the badge is the least of our priorities that require changing. In fact they should be made to play without shirts on until they can show they have some passion and deserve the chance to wear the badge.

Was it the city's Roman links etc?
I've got to say I'm still struggling to understand

A few words from Gary might help you das...

Gary James said:
I did some research on this after it was pointed out to me at the first Badge Lecture. It seems to have been added at the time the councli launched the eagle emblem in 1957 but was dropped in the early 1960s when the eagle emblem stopped being used. If you look at versions of the COA from before 57 and after about 62 you'll see that it's not there. From a footballing point of view the eagle was introduced by Manchester Council in Dec 1957 for use by sports and leisure organisations with council approval and was first publicly used by a football team when MUFC played in the 1958 FAC Final (they used the emblem exactly as it was created by Manchester Council). City used it in 1960 on a handbook (exactly as created by Manchester council) and may have used it on other literature, but I've only ever tracked down that one handbook with it on. In 1963 when Utd played in their next FAC Final they wore the Manchester COA and not the eagle, so whether it was Manchester Council's use or use by football teams, the eagle seemed to last no more than about 3 or 4 years with the Council dropping it from the COA; United wearing it at Wembley once and City putting it on a handbook. Then it was resurrected in 1997 for the current City badge

'For use by Sports and Leisure organisations'.. you may have heard these words before in the 600page campus thread.

Last edited:
CUTTbZ7XIAAbbF-.png

CUTRwjVWUAA-GZE.png

CUTR3XiWcAA70CC.png

CUTRy-SWoAAVeN5.png

Any of the above.

Gary James said:
I did some research on this after it was pointed out to me at the first Badge Lecture. It seems to have been added at the time the councli launched the eagle emblem in 1957 but was dropped in the early 1960s when the eagle emblem stopped being used. If you look at versions of the COA from before 57 and after about 62 you'll see that it's not there. From a footballing point of view the eagle was introduced by Manchester Council in Dec 1957 for use by sports and leisure organisations with council approval and was first publicly used by a football team when MUFC played in the 1958 FAC Final (they used the emblem exactly as it was created by Manchester Council). City used it in 1960 on a handbook (exactly as created by Manchester council) and may have used it on other literature, but I've only ever tracked down that one handbook with it on. In 1963 when Utd played in their next FAC Final they wore the Manchester COA and not the eagle, so whether it was Manchester Council's use or use by football teams, the eagle seemed to last no more than about 3 or 4 years with the Council dropping it from the COA; United wearing it at Wembley once and City putting it on a handbook. Then it was resurrected in 1997 for the current City badge

'For use by Sports and Leisure organisations'.. you may have heard these words before in the 600page campus thread.
Am I to understand that you think the fact that the eagle was used by a council initiative organisation for roughly 5 years in the late 50s/early 60s and
was on a handbook from 1960 is a good historical reason for having the said eagle on our badge today? If so then I should point out that symbols
on our badge should represent us as a club, they should have something that connects us to our common heritage as Mancunians, the area we come from,
and not a temporary symbol concocted by some council tosser for an organisation that didn`t represent anyone but the council. Even the rags
ditched it after their Cup Final! If you want the eagle to stay why not be honest and say "this is what I know and have grown up with, let`s keep it" instead of
clutching at some perceived historical connection that never existed (the same goes for those saying "it`s Roman", that was just too far back)and had no
meaning to City supporters either at the time or now.

Gary James said:

Fair play mate

Am I to understand that you think the fact that the eagle was used by a council initiative organisation for roughly 5 years in the late 50s/early 60s and
was on a handbook from 1960 is a good historical reason for having the said eagle on our badge today? If so then I should point out that symbols
on our badge should represent us as a club, they should have something that connects us to our common heritage as Mancunians, the area we come from,
and not a temporary symbol concocted by some council tosser for an organisation that didn`t represent anyone but the council. Even the rags
ditched it after their Cup Final! If you want the eagle to stay why not be honest and say "this is what I know and have grown up with, let`s keep it" instead of
clutching at some perceived historical connection that never existed (the same goes for those saying "it`s Roman", that was just too far back)and had no
meaning to City supporters either at the time or now.

No your not to understand by the looks of it, else you got bit too giddy with your reckoning, a symbol in use for 5yrs you say ('97-'15),something to represent where areas we come from-early '80's grey mare lane beswick was one of the most socially deprived districts in Europe...now you can do a Sports science degree there. The rags decided to drop it did they...like they did the fa cup...well good cause I liked that semi-final win when they changed their mind and from the looks of things Sport in the City is going to be mushrooming east Manchester in the not so distant future, i'll show great delight in telling any traffords they cant have the eagle back, it's gone blue...if I've a pint in me I might even tell em the Max Woosnam story...innit.

No your not to understand by the looks of it, else you got bit too giddy with your reckoning, a symbol in use for 5yrs you say ('97-'15),something to represent where areas we come from-early '80's grey mare lane beswick was one of the most socially deprived districts in Europe...now you can do a Sports science degree there. The rags decided to drop it did they...like they did the fa cup...well good cause I liked that semi-final win when they changed their mind and from the looks of things Sport in the City is going to be mushrooming east Manchester in the not so distant future, i'll show great delight in telling any traffords they cant have the eagle back, it's gone blue...if I've a pint in me I might even tell em the Max Woosnam story...innit.
Sorry but the whole drift of the post I read was suggesting that the eagle was historical, otherwise why quote Gary James?
I was not talking about the current use of the eagle but the perceived historical connection with it. I also looked at the link to the UCFB site and saw
no mention of the eagle so am at a loss as to what that has to do with anything.
I did mention that if you are keen to keep the eagle on the badge why not be honest and just say that instead of trying to make all kind of connections that aren`t there
or are tenuous in the least.
You also seem to see East Manchester as some sort of modern day Grenoble which is mystifying to me as although the area has improved it isn`t a hub of
modern technological advancement unless of course you mean that you can use your degree in Sports science to get a job shelf filling at Asda.

Sorry but the whole drift of the post I read was suggesting that the eagle was historical, otherwise why quote Gary James?
I was not talking about the current use of the eagle but the perceived historical connection with it. I also looked at the link to the UCFB site and saw
no mention of the eagle so am at a loss as to what that has to do with anything.
I did mention that if you are keen to keep the eagle on the badge why not be honest and just say that instead of trying to make all kind of connections that aren`t there
or are tenuous in the least.
You also seem to see East Manchester as some sort of modern day Grenoble which is mystifying to me as although the area has improved it isn`t a hub of
modern technological advancement unless of course you mean that you can use your degree in Sports science to get a job shelf filling at Asda.

I'd have thought me quoting Gary James was fairly obvious given the post by Das previous to me posting it. Yeah I know you're not talking about the current use of the eagle....I am. You saw no mention of the eagle in the UCFB link....I did I seen Sport in this City...that's what the eagle is innit...big fuck off eagles on our ground that is now not only a football stadium but a mini Sports uni...oh the irony. Not too sure about your Asda craic...I feel the kids in our academy attending St. Bede's will stand them in better stead to what was on mill street a couple of decades ago.East M/c not the hub of technological advancments...is the sharp project in Basingstoke?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.