Club World Cup 2025 - Who’s going?

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola on the Club World Cup: "What is the strongest players? Which ones? If you tell me for them which players are stronger than the other ones? I don't understand.

"We go all the squad there, we don't go for one game. I don't know the competition right now, we don't go for 11 players. We go for the whole squad. I don't know how the selection, this player is better than this one. Maybe the strongest player for them is in a bad condition for many reason. Professional, personal, injuries. I'm not going to say before the game which player to play. I will decide."

Makes perfect sense to someone I'm sure.

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola on the Club World Cup: "What is the strongest players? Which ones? If you tell me for them which players are stronger than the other ones? I don't understand.

"We go all the squad there, we don't go for one game. I don't know the competition right now, we don't go for 11 players. We go for the whole squad. I don't know how the selection, this player is better than this one. Maybe the strongest player for them is in a bad condition for many reason. Professional, personal, injuries. I'm not going to say before the game which player to play. I will decide."
This is the most astonishing part of FIFA's directive, namely forcing clubs to field their strongest teams.

How do they intend to enforce such rules? "City to receive 116th charge after fielding Lewis ahead of Walker in CWC"?

My issue isn't with the tournament itself, it's generally about the amount of football being played & player welfare.

Holding a CWC every 4 years in an expanded tournament makes far more sense than it being held annually in the middle of the night, in the middle of the season.

As long as ample time is given for players to rest after the season & after the tournament, I'm fine with it. I think the spotlight must be shone on the 4 international breaks we have to endure.

It'd be better if the September, November & March international breaks, were rolled into one at the end of the regular season. This would mean the season could end in March including a 2 week winter break.

April - Mid May could be given over to shit international qualifiers, which would mean all players getting 4-6 weeks rest before reporting for pre-season in July.

If the CWC were to then take place throughout July with a 2 week gap between the end of the tournament & the beginning of the regular season, I doubt the governing bodies would be facing such stiff resistance over the amount of top class football, the players are expected to participate in.

As an aside, Pep says KDB isn't available for tomorrow's game against Fulham, & he can't be expected to play for Belgium after being out injured. Interestingly, he said Kev hasn't mentioned international retirement to him. Why the likes of KDB & Walker are persisting with international football at their age, boggles the mind...
Agree with all of that. I support Rodri 100 per cent. I suspect his issue is more with the expansion of the CL and too many stupid internationals. I am sure he would want to lift the Club WC.

This is the most astonishing part of FIFA's directive, namely forcing clubs to field their strongest teams.

How do they intend to enforce such rules? "City to receive 116th charge after fielding Lewis ahead of Walker in CWC"?
I think it's intent is to stop clubs sending their EDS teams or equivalent. I doubt they're going to complain if we take our 'usual' squad

So Pep confirms he is extending his contract! Knew he fancied lifting the first proper World Cup. Here for at least one more season I think.

Agree with all of that. I support Rodri 100 per cent. I suspect his issue is more with the expansion of the CL and too many stupid internationals. I am sure he would want to lift the Club WC.
Playing for City, Rodri has little choice. Playing for Spain is a choice. We saw how Pep rested players against Bratislava, but the two additional CL games & the Nations League added to the 3 mid-season International breaks, is taking things too far.

My hope is that the likes of Rodri, Bernardo & KDB have the courage of their convictions & at worst make themselves unavailable for Internationals outside of tournaments. The qualifiers are pure boring piles of bollocks anyway.

Last edited:

the clubs will take this competition seriously, i'd rather bin off the league and fa cup than this competition. It's too big of a cash pot to miss out on. The media in this country will down play it as non of the red tops are in it but it has the potential to be fantastic

I think it's intent is to stop clubs sending their EDS teams or equivalent. I doubt they're going to complain if we take our 'usual' squad
I know the intent, but how do they intend to enforce it? Pep has already intimated today that he'll bring the whole squad, but he & he alone will select which players will be selected.

It doesn't say a lot for the tournament if FIFA are having to make veiled unenforceable threats about squads & team selections.

I know the intent, but how do they intend to enforce it? Pep has already intimated today that he'll bring the whole squad, but he & he alone will select which players will be selected.

It doesn't say a lot for the tournament if FIFA are having to make veiled unenforceable threats about squads & team selections.
But that's the point. If we take the first team squad there won't be an issue. I don't think the intention is that they try to force us to play Kyle over Rico

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.