Cole Palmer

I think that's the issue for many - I kept banging on that you can see more then potential with him. Very confident with the ball, ok made some youthful mistakes but pretty rare talent - I wish we made an extra special effort to keep him (being local and a star is a rare thing). So unlucky with timing - a week or so later - De Bruyne out for six months - would have given loads more opportunities - so unlucky n this aspect

Talented player for sure but if a player doesn't believe in their ability enough to force their way in like players before him had to, then that's not the mentality we need. That's why we sold him.

Somr praise him for moving and say its ambitious but in my eyes he's left for an easier route to start games at a lesser team. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's his choice and he will do well and has done, but at City i prefer players who want to fight for their spot at the best team. That's why we win, because our players and manager have that kind of drive and ambition.

We were winning things when Palmer wasn't in the picture and we continued to after he left.

The world is full of talented players with the ball but the world isn't full of players who have absolutely belief they can cut it at the very best teams, regardless of who they have to content with for a place.

He’s going to end up being world class. I think we have made a mistake and should have done more to keep him - given him more game time or maybe not signing someone like Doku. I think palmer is the better player.

It’s a bit late now though, so it’s all ifs and maybes
If he stayed at City.

He'll do well at Chelsea until a better player comes in. Seems to love the attention of being Bertie big bollocks there.

Not saying selling him on was a mistake, but out of all the academy lads we've let go in recent times, Palmer is the one I had the highest hopes for.

He might have had a few more games last season with the injury to Kev, but probably not, so the lad did what he thought was best for his own career, and I can't get mad about that. Hope he carries on as he is to be honest.

Will always be the one that got away I'm afraid. He's not going anywhere and will only get better and better. Just have to suck it up and hopefully he doesn't become to us what KDB is to Chelsea.
What we lost in Cole we may gain with Oscar Bobb though, I have huge hopes for him having a real breakout season. Think he is incredibly talented and the sky is the limit for him.

Talented player for sure but if a player doesn't believe in their ability enough to force their way in like players before him had to, then that's not the mentality we need. That's why we sold him.

Somr praise him for moving and say its ambitious but in my eyes he's left for an easier route to start games at a lesser team. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's his choice and he will do well and has done, but at City i prefer players who want to fight for their spot at the best team. That's why we win, because our players and manager have that kind of drive and ambition.

We were winning things when Palmer wasn't in the picture and we continued to after he left.

The world is full of talented players with the ball but the world isn't full of players who have absolutely belief they can cut it at the very best teams, regardless of who they have to content with for a place.
"Talented player for sure but if a player doesn't believe in their ability enough to force their way in like players before him had to, then that's not the mentality we need. That's why we sold him."

Sorry but that's a crock, he had the belief that's why he wanted to play and why he ultimately left.

Palmer is a maverick of a player, and never a Pep team player.

"Talented player for sure but if a player doesn't believe in their ability enough to force their way in like players before him had to, then that's not the mentality we need. That's why we sold him."

Sorry but that's a crock, he had the belief that's why he wanted to play and why he ultimately left.

Palmer is a maverick of a player, and never a Pep team player.

Everyone wants to play but you have to get there on merit and break into the team like other players did before him and he chose the option to go to a lesser team for an easier path rather than force his way into the team

I don't think it's a crock at all, he clearly wasn't prepared to fight as hard as he needed to get into the best team in the country.

"he wanted to play" - of course but you play on merit and forcing your way into the team, players like Foden have had to. Nobody should be guaranteed anything and he obviously didn't fancy his chances of breaking into the best team in the country, so he took an easy path to regular football and that's fine.

It's one thing having self belief you can make a splash at a struggling team. It's another mentality altogether to believe you can make a splash at the best team around, which he seemingly didn't.

Reading some of these posts you’d think we let go of the next Balon d’Or Winner. Feels like maybe we should wait another season or two to see if he’s our biggest regret. Will be interesting to see what he does under Maresca, who would we assume will be more disciplined and give him slightly less freedom?

The one thing we could say is a mistake now is the lack of sell on clause. Seems a no brainer for any of our academy kids.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.