Cole Palmer

I think that's the issue for many - I kept banging on that you can see more then potential with him. Very confident with the ball, ok made some youthful mistakes but pretty rare talent - I wish we made an extra special effort to keep him (being local and a star is a rare thing). So unlucky with timing - a week or so later - De Bruyne out for six months - would have given loads more opportunities - so unlucky n this aspect
He regressed in Season 22-23 though -when he did get the chance he basically shown us nothing like we’d got in his breakout Season. Hindsight and all that -but nobody was predicting he’d thrive last season like he did -literally nobody was expecting it but more questioning the Fee the Chavs had paid

He regressed in Season 22-23 though -when he did get the chance he basically shown us nothing like we’d got in his breakout Season. Hindsight and all that -but nobody was predicting he’d thrive last season like he did -literally nobody was expecting it but more questioning the Fee the Chavs had paid
The way the media rave about him is unreal. He's s good player but playing for a team that finished 8th was it ? Half his goals were penalties. He's done ok in this tournament but as always luck plays an important part, for example without the aid of a deflection that shot last night would have been a routine save for the keeper !

The way the media rave about him is unreal. He's s good player but playing for a team that finished 8th was it ? Half his goals were penalties. He's done ok in this tournament but as always luck plays an important part, for example without the aid of a deflection that shot last night would have been a routine save for the keeper !

Do you not think 27 goals (of which 10 were penalties, so not quite half) and 15 assists in his debut season deserves the hype he’s getting?

Do you not think 27 goals (of which 10 were penalties, so not quite half) and 15 assists in his debut season deserves the hype he’s getting?
I, for one, do. He showed at lot at EDS level but struggle in 2022/23 but started last season in great form. That might have been too late as the transfer wheels were in progress. City got a good fee for him but I would rather that he was still at the club - his accurate, calm finishing would have been a great weapon against the low blocks that we encounter.
He's gone now though so hopefully we get Olmo or another and/or Bobb pushes on and this time next year we are asking Cole who?

I, for one, do. He showed at lot at EDS level but struggle in 2022/23 but started last season in great form. That might have been too late as the transfer wheels were in progress. City got a good fee for him but I would rather that he was still at the club - his accurate, calm finishing would have been a great weapon against the low blocks that we encounter.
He's gone now though so hopefully we get Olmo or another and/or Bobb pushes on and this time next year we are asking Cole who?

I think City have such a great academy that eventually someone you let go would turn out to be a very good player. Now I do like to pump the brakes sometimes when people start talking about world class this and that as he still has to show it wasn’t a one season wonder. His performances off the bench for England have been rather good, and I’m excited to see how he develops further next season.

I do agree that City could use a player with Palmer’s qualities but I also agree with those that say he wouldn’t have started much has he stayed and therefore wouldn’t have shown the levels he showed last season and he definitely wouldn’t have been at the euros. So good move for all involved I’d say, even though if I was a City fan I’d be gutted about losing him (but I’m generally an academy enthusiast so will always prefer to play academy players over signing new players).

Ive
I've got 10 pens and 25 goals so 40 per cent but i agree he had a good season. Let's see what he does next year and what he wins. He's a good player but one of those enjoying rhe media hype like Bellingham and Mainoo so let's see

Reading some of these posts you’d think we let go of the next Balon d’Or Winner. Feels like maybe we should wait another season or two to see if he’s our biggest regret. Will be interesting to see what he does under Maresca, who would we assume will be more disciplined and give him slightly less freedom?

The one thing we could say is a mistake now is the lack of sell on clause. Seems a no brainer for any of our academy kids.
But that’s usually when the fee is minimal or nothing, eg £5 million for Tommy Doyle.

We received £43 million for him. It’s a lot to shell out on an unproven Academy player, and the gamble by Chelsea wasn’t without risk.

Not every academy player we sell is going to be a flop ffs.
This is true.

Ultimately, anyone leaving City is likely to be less successful elsewhere.

Good for him for leaving to play more regularly, but losing players like Palmer aren't going to majorly impact the clubs future success.

I think City have such a great academy that eventually someone you let go would turn out to be a very good player. Now I do like to pump the brakes sometimes when people start talking about world class this and that as he still has to show it wasn’t a one season wonder. His performances off the bench for England have been rather good, and I’m excited to see how he develops further next season.

I do agree that City could use a player with Palmer’s qualities but I also agree with those that say he wouldn’t have started much has he stayed and therefore wouldn’t have shown the levels he showed last season and he definitely wouldn’t have been at the euros. So good move for all involved I’d say, even though if I was a City fan I’d be gutted about losing him (but I’m generally an academy enthusiast so will always prefer to play academy players over signing new players).
You are right -we were certain to balls up eventually but have been really efficient on this front but the Player himself decided he wanted to go -so in Peps Universe he doesn’t want anyone who doesn’t want to be at City (and I agree 100%)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.