Community Shield - 2024/25 | 10 Aug Sat 3pm

Sure I read an article from Gary James recently stating the Charity Shield for a long time was rejected by the league winners and cup holders

Maybe I dreamt it

It's been at Wembley (or Cardiff for a while) since basically the dawn of time outside of a few unique cases.

We arent going to big-league it and withdraw. Every other team played at the designated venue, we arent special.
Since the dawn of time? Your not very old are you, the charity shield was always held at a league ground of one of the teams playing.I think it was since the new Wembley was was built when they moved it there.

City played in both 72 and 73 Charity Shields despite winning neither the League nor the FA Cup.
Strictly speaking it should have been Derby v Leeds and Liverpool v Sunderland.

I can't remember whether these clubs refused or had simply ended up double booked. However, that was before the venue was switched to Wembley.

The first Wembley Charity/Community Shield was 1974 when Keegan and Bremner were both sent off.

The First Charity Shield to be played at Wembley was 1974, Liverpool v Leeds Utd, the infamous fight and subsequent sending off of Keegan and Bremner was the big talking point, the game ended 1.1 and Liverpool won on Penalties, it's been held at Wembley ever since, barring the Rebuild where it then went to Cardiff.

Since the dawn of time? Your not very old are you, the charity shield was always held at a league ground of one of the teams playing.I think it was since the new Wembley was was built when they moved it there.
It's had a permanent home at wembley barring when it couldn't be held at Wembley for 50 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.