Community Shield - 2024/25 | 10 Aug Sat 3pm

Here's an idea. 45 minutes of the youth teams, 45 minutes of the women's teams. Bring on the men if it goes to extra time and penalties.
Straight to penalties, I'd keep either the women or kids on if it goes to penalties no chance our first team would win in a shootout.

Since the dawn of time? Your not very old are you, the charity shield was always held at a league ground of one of the teams playing.I think it was since the new Wembley was was built when they moved it there.
Community shield was played at the Old Wembley from 1974-2000. Then Millennium Stadium 2001-2006, and from 2007 onwards at New Wembley, other than Villa Park 2012 due to the Olympics, and King Power 2022 due to the Women's Euros.

So neither of you are quite right. Obviously early 1970s is nothing like "the dawn of time", but it's also three decades prior to the closing of the Old Wembley. It's been held at both iterations of Wembley for a total of 43 years, with the interregnum period being at the Millennium Stadium.

Having it at the national stadium makes it neutral, and also puts it on an equal footing with the majority of national Super Cups. It'd be hard to say it wasn't a tradition at this point, but apart from that it's also the most fair way of doing it.

And yes, I remember the thread from last year. I think the post was almost word for word, perhaps without the betwixts.

Community shield was played at the Old Wembley from 1974-2000. Then Millennium Stadium 2001-2006, and from 2007 onwards at New Wembley, other than Villa Park 2012 due to the Olympics, and King Power 2022 due to the Women's Euros.

So neither of you are quite right. Obviously early 1970s is nothing like "the dawn of time", but it's also three decades prior to the closing of the Old Wembley. It's been held at both iterations of Wembley for a total of 43 years, with the interregnum period being at the Millennium Stadium.

Having it at the national stadium makes it neutral, and also puts it on an equal footing with the majority of national Super Cups. It'd be hard to say it wasn't a tradition at this point, but apart from that it's also the most fair way of doing it.
The PL is the elite tournament of 38 games over 9 months.

The cup is a lottery and can be won in 6 games by very average teams.

On merit imo it should be at the home of the Champions !!

Not that what I choose to do is any of your business, but I've missed 3 CL home games since we've been in it, 1 because of a pre booked holiday, 2 due to work. I take plenty of interest in the academy, for the games that mean something, I can't attend as I live 170 miles away.

I just don't have any interest in lining the FA's pocket for a pointless friendly.
Ouch, touchy.

Was that a yes or a no ?

Straight to penalties, I'd keep either the women or kids on if it goes to penalties no chance our first team would win in a shootout.
Not bothered about winning this though, it would be a good way to ease everyone back into football and celebrate the different levels of the game, in keeping with the 'Community' aspect of it. Mind you, the changing rooms might get a bit crowded.

The PL is the elite tournament of 38 games over 9 months.

The cup is a lottery and can be won in 6 games by very average teams.

On merit imo it should be at the home of the Champions !!
You're then giving an extra advantage to what should be in most years the stronger team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.