Corners

First comment on this thread was 21st sept and our corners get worse every week- its fucking embarrassing!!
Our set peice routines lack any thought or imagination.
Iv had enough of the roll it forward a yard , you stop it, ill clip it into the far post for MD to spin round the back and head it free kick routine- its shite !!
Fuck me . Even tony pulis comes up with some imagination- big jolean was even involved in one last weekend whic if it would have come off would have been a great set peice.
Come on city sort it out!!

Looked like Hull were happy conceding corners rather than having goal kicks as it gave them space to break.

Like a lot of stuff at the club at the moment, near post corners don't work if you can't beat the first man, we normally can't. Kick the ball into the middle or deep.

I'm sure using that tactic if 6 of us went forward out of 175? Or so corners someone would make a mistake for a goal.

We used to be the best. An inswinging corner to the near post where Kompany/Lescott/Barry/YaYa/Dzeko uame used to flick it on OR they'd take 2 or 3 defenders out of the game while the ball cleared them and caused mayhem in the box behind them with the goalies view obstructed by the melee at the near post. The player/players at the near post continually changed and we were the best corner takers in the league and scored 15 league goals in 2011/12 as a result.

Now our corners are just shit. Hell they don't even look like they are practiced any more.

Our corners actually showed a slight improvement against Boro in the cup because Kolorov was taking them.

If he doesn't play, we are useless. I think Toure should take them when he is back. If he can strike free kicks like he does, he must be able to take a corner.

But Jesus H. Christ, anybody should be able to take a corner! Any halfway decent Sunday league player knows that you vary corners from near post to far post with some round about the penalty spot. And you practice that in training during the week. Mentioned on Radio Manc yesterday: it's now 200 corners since we last scored from one. WTF, I mean seriously. WTFF!

Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
But Jesus H. Christ, anybody should be able to take a corner! Any halfway decent Sunday league player knows that you vary corners from near post to far post with some round about the penalty spot. And you practice that in training during the week. Mentioned on Radio Manc yesterday: it's now 200 corners since we last scored from one. WTF, I mean seriously. WTFF!

Many thanks, I've been trying to find out that stat.

*Sigh* I never thought when the money came in I'd later on be crying out for basic football to be played.

You're welcome, mate. If you can hold of it, take a look at Spurs' first against the Arse yesterday. Dembele (who was otherwise pretty poor) makes a diagonal run to the near post. The corner is put in just above head height. Dembele flicks it back over, the way you should, just to see what happens. Not complicated. Complete chaos in the Arse defence, Kane comes in from somewhere beyond the far post and, cool as you like, slots it home. A goal worthy of Aguero at his best. I'd like Pellegrini to show them that on Monday.

important to remember that plonking a cross in is so much easier for the defence than anything that is flicked on or ricocheted. Near post flick ons are nightmarish for defences. It's probably the best way to take corners, just ahead of lumping it to a big fella towards the back post (who nods it back across), but we seem to be lacking the player to flick it on, have we forgotten to tell him?

We have a good corner taker in Kolarov but he doesn't play anymore. Before him it was Bellamy, he could take a good corner on a regular basis.....ie beyond the first man FFS.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.