Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I am, nobody is using these hotels at the moment why is it £175 a night, stick them in travelodges fucking hundreds near airports, don’t see what your problem is?

I assume his point is that if it is cheap enough, it will encourage more people to do it. By making the price so high, it should hopefully discourage people. I might be wrong though.

If the variants come about through lots of transmission howcome we haven't seen a Swedish variant yet? And surely they should have been one of the first variants to come about because they perused herd immunity for most of the pandemic?

If the variants come about through lots of transmission howcome we haven't seen a Swedish variant yet? And surely they should have been one of the first variants to come about because they perused herd immunity for most of the pandemic?
I assume it’s because they won’t have had so many people coming through their country from abroad with slightly different strains.

Okey dokely, questions and musings for the more knowledgable among the bluemoonerati...

Bear with me as I’m not always the best at getting my thoughts written down:

Non political answers please!

Why is it that we’ve had this bigger spike than most countries across the world who’ve also had this 3rd wave? We saw the graphs posted from earlier today, including European countries who have also had variants. I watch the Americans in a stadium watching the Super Bowl etc.

Is it because our borders have been so lax that we‘ve had more variants which eventually have caused ones that have been so much more transmissible? I expected other countries to be suffering the same way we have been yet we seem to be the worst.

I speak to my brother in Stockholm nearly every day, and after the news a few weeks ago about their hospitals getting full it hasn’t really changed and they seem to be over their peak too, and bear in mind they’ve had ZERO lockdown, my brother who is a hairdresser hasn’t ever been had the shop closed, and restaurants and bars still open etc, they’ve just had to be a bit more careful.

Thoughts?

yes this has been troubling me for a little while - how the fuck is the UK in the position it is in? has the UK-variant really been so exclusive to the UK? no i really doubt it.

we now have a deaths per million of 1600, higher than the US (1400) and Brazil (1100), i thought these were countries that presidents who didnt even believe covid was a thing and just let shit carry on? ok there were restrictions of sorts, but no where near the level of here, particularly Brazil.

then people pull out population density, like these countries dont have a huge percentage of urban population as well - Brazil have 87% of population in cities, the UK 84% (US 83%). Then i read on here that the British 'mingle', well ive spent a lot of time in the Eu and let me tell you we aint got a patch on the southern european countries. even during the autumn lockdowns those countries were allowed into each others houses, while we werent (that was removed in some for short periods)

so what the utter fuck is going on in this country? the only things i can think of are obesity levels and the very particular damp climate. But seriously, i feel like im clutching a bit.

I don't mind it being prohibitive to come into the country during the pandemic. I think our best hope is to restrict new variants during vaccination, allow our scientists to sequence and update the vaccines for the variants across the globe and release update jabs which hopefully, using the data from the first run, are improved and more effective across variants and then open up to the world.

In the meantime, having more freedom domestically over the summer I think is a fair trade-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.