Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes this has been troubling me for a little while - how the fuck is the UK in the position it is in? has the UK-variant really been so exclusive to the UK? no i really doubt it.

we now have a deaths per million of 1600, higher than the US (1400) and Brazil (1100), i thought these were countries that presidents who didnt even believe covid was a thing and just let shit carry on? ok there were restrictions of sorts, but no where near the level of here, particularly Brazil.

then people pull out population density, like these countries dont have a huge percentage of urban population as well - Brazil have 87% of population in cities, the UK 84% (US 83%). Then i read on here that the British 'mingle', well ive spent a lot of time in the Eu and let me tell you we aint got a patch on the southern european countries. even during the autumn lockdowns those countries were allowed into each others houses, while we werent (that was removed in some for short periods)

so what the utter fuck is going on in this country? the only things i can think of are obesity levels and the very particular damp climate. But seriously, i feel like im clutching a bit.
The definitive answer, if it exists, will be a long time coming. Statistitians would call it a polynomial, that is lots of causes with different weightings. So a long term research project to untangle the mystery.

yes this has been troubling me for a little while - how the fuck is the UK in the position it is in? has the UK-variant really been so exclusive to the UK? no i really doubt it.

we now have a deaths per million of 1600, higher than the US (1400) and Brazil (1100), i thought these were countries that presidents who didnt even believe covid was a thing and just let shit carry on? ok there were restrictions of sorts, but no where near the level of here, particularly Brazil.

then people pull out population density, like these countries dont have a huge percentage of urban population as well - Brazil have 87% of population in cities, the UK 84% (US 83%). Then i read on here that the British 'mingle', well ive spent a lot of time in the Eu and let me tell you we aint got a patch on the southern european countries. even during the autumn lockdowns those countries were allowed into each others houses, while we werent (that was removed in some for short periods)

so what the utter fuck is going on in this country? the only things i can think of are obesity levels and the very particular damp climate. But seriously, i feel like im clutching a bit.
It’s impossible to answer his question without being political. Incompetence at the top throughout the whole of 2020 has brought us to where we are.

Do you mean like all those with underlying conditions that might be working in essential services like hospitals or care homes, or just trying to keep their jobs so they can pay the bills and look after their families.
I don’t an opinion either way on gyms, but just because you do doesn’t mean you have to be a dick over other people just doing their jobs.
He does not understand the difference between clinically vulnerable and underlying health conditions.

We will open up and it will kick off again.
Has anywhere actually closed bar pubs and restaunts?
I work at a waste plant in Trafford park(trade waste only)
We have shit coming in from all over the country.
Since Boris told people to stay home,trade waste has more than doubled,how can this be?
Half of it ain't essential.....E.G...I had a skip half full come from Rotherham with pipe lagging in it......A tanker driver was sent from Gateshead to Southampton to pick a tanker full of dirty water up and bring it all the way to trafford park....insane if you ask me.
Tons of non essential shit is rolling through the gates constantly.
We are open as we take waste from the hospitals which is obviously essential,but most of it is ridiculous......lockdown my arse.

I assume his point is that if it is cheap enough, it will encourage more people to do it. By making the price so high, it should hopefully discourage people. I might be wrong though.
You are. The boss of the hotel group being used was interviewed the other day and you don't have to be a mastermind to work out there are considerably higher costs involved, particularly, insurance. But on top of that, they have to provide 3 meals a day, have security guards on site 24 /7. Staff costs, additional deep cleaning costs etc.

If you can provide that in the vicinity of UK major airports for £40, fair play, but those who are having to provide it cannot.

Excess deaths is the best way to ensure countries capture the real impact, and there's some recent data here ...

One thing you may notice is the UK, Belgium and France (plus a few others) are showing very similar figures for Covid vs Excess which means they probably have good, honest and accurate systems to record and share data across our healthcare settings. Some others look wildly different (US, Russia, Mexico, South Africa, even Germany) and this shows they are either a bit slower or have a less open data sharing environment.

Those numbers you see on the worldometer site should be taken with a bucket of salt, but they ARE okay for monitoring trends.

EDIT: If you look at the countries at the foot of the table, they are showing NEGATIVE excess deaths and this suggests that either: a) the methods to stop coronavirus transmission has stopped transmission of other killer viruses and flus or b) they're just having a 'low' year. This means countries elsewhere are probably experiencing lower numbers of deaths by non-covid viruses and therefore you would expect much closer numbers between covid and excess, or they're just having a 'high' year.

Last edited:
It’s impossible to answer his question without being political. Incompetence at the top throughout the whole of 2020 has brought us to where we are.
Well it is possible mate, if it is due to the amount of people coming over here and all the strains are slightly different abroad and all the mixing of these variants is what causes our issues to be exacerbated then fair enough that’s the answer. Of course that one will end up being on the doorstep of our incompetent government being too late shutting borders but that will come out in the wash at a different time.

Excess deaths is the best way to ensure countries capture the real impact, and there's some recent data here ...

One thing you may notice is the UK, Belgium and France (plus a few others) are showing very similar figures for Covid vs Excess which means they probably have good, honest and accurate systems to record and share data across our healthcare settings. Some others look wildly different (US, Russia, Mexico, South Africa, even Germany) and this shows they are either a bit slower or have a less open data sharing environment.

Those numbers you see on the worldometer site should be taken with a bucket of salt, but they ARE okay for monitoring trends.
yes thanks, excess deaths is, ultimately, the most reliable comparitor due to myriad factors involving diagnoses etc etc, so thanks for that link. Still, the UK is above Brazil and the USA, which is confusing due to the approaches.

Why are you posting on here asking a question you already know the answer to I guess you have a smart phone take a picture of him and report it, aherelternatively get a bat and beat the fucker either way he will get the message
And so I reported it last night to be told I was the 2nd person to do so but they will probably not get out to see him anytime soon as too busy at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.