Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, recruitment and retention has been an issue for a long time. As a result, there appear to be a lot of low quality staff in the industry (based on my experience). I guess it doesn't help that care assistants are paid a pittance. The whole sector is a stinking mess,certainly the public sector element.
It's quite unbelievable that Care Homes don't pay a suitable rate for workers when taking into account what they charge residents. My mates Dad was in one until September last year when he died at 88 years old (he'd had Covid but that wasn't the cause). He'd been in the home for many years, my mate had power of attorney over his finances and watched his bank balance reduce from 300k to less than a tenth of that. It was around 3,500 per month at the end, over 100 per day, it's a disgrace the staff are not given decent pay and conditions.

It's quite unbelievable that Care Homes don't pay a suitable rate for workers when taking into account what they charge residents. My mates Dad was in one until September last year when he died at 88 years old (he'd had Covid but that wasn't the cause). He'd been in the home for many years, my mate had power of attorney over his finances and watched his bank balance reduce from 300k to less than a tenth of that. It was around 3,500 per month at the end, over 100 per day, it's a disgrace the staff are not given decent pay and conditions.
it's a disgrace they are able to charge that much.

Yes, recruitment and retention has been an issue for a long time. As a result, there appear to be a lot of low quality staff in the industry (based on my experience). I guess it doesn't help that care assistants are paid a pittance. The whole sector is a stinking mess,certainly the public sector element.
For nursing homes its low pay but vast profits for owners

Oh look the modelling used to extend lock down was based on out of date data that massively underestimates vaccine effectiveness.
What a surprise - NOT

Offset by also not taking into account by apparantly also failing to factor that Delta is 2.5x more likely to put you in hospital than Alpha.

My nanna is in a council one. But because she worked all her life and owned a house she has to pay. £850 a week. Every week.
once her savings have gone the house she worked hard for will have to go too.

we went to visit some that were £2000 a week!!!

The infection rates seen in children are not due to surge testing concentrated on schools. It's real.

How do we know? From samples where the same distribution that we see on the age heat maps is seen again.

From the React Study that came out this morning...

"We observed that growth was being driven by younger age groups, with five-fold higher rates of swab-positivity among younger children (ages 5 to 12 years) and young adults (18 to 24 years) compared with those aged 65 years and older, and 2.5-fold higher rates among those below 50 years compared with those 50 years and above. These age patterns suggest that recent expansion of the vaccine programme to those aged 18 years and above [14] should help substantially to reduce the overall growth of the epidemic. The observed patterns may reflect increased social interactions among children and young adults as schools remain open and lockdown eases, as well as high vaccine uptake among older people"

Oh and the R rate is at 1.44.

But signs its slowing. For a really excellent synopsis see the main article on BBC News...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57504172

I feel this may be the endgame of this epidemic. Its last throw of the dice which takes into the wonderful world of herd immunity or is that just Alice through the looking glass?

My nanna is in a council one. But because she worked all her life and owned a house she has to pay. £850 a week. Every week.
once her savings have gone the house she worked hard for will have to go too.

we went to visit some that were £2000 a week!!!
Very similar prices to my mate's, your nana will have 23k ring fenced to pass on in her will. It's extortionate money and I'll be getting as much equity out of my house to pay for early retirement (only 2 years early)

Very similar prices to my mate's, your nana will have 23k ring fenced to pass on in her will. It's extortionate money and I'll be getting as much equity out of my house to pay for early retirement (only 2 years early)
In fairness she could have done things so much differently to protect her money when she was of more sound mind. She was tight as a wet knot all her life and now she has no clue what money is its disappearing at a rapid rate.
her Money though sooo….

For that amount of money could your mate not have given up work to look after his dad?

Or were there other reasons it cost £3500 a month to look after him

For that amount of money could your mate not have given up work to look after his dad?

Or were there other reasons it cost £3500 a month to look after him
He wasn't that close to his dad, he'd seen him smack his mum a few times before they were divorced, his Dad remarried and took on two stepdaughters. The three step siblings agreed the inheritance would be shared but when the Dad went into a home only my mate had the inclination to deal with the money side. He was a bit of a dick tbh, before the dementia really kicked in he was drinking a bottle of whisky everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.