Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big rows going to burst out over the vaccine passports to enter nightclubs the BBC say. Already steam coming out of ears.

BUT they are the right thing to do, If 30% of those under 30 who have been offered the vaccine have declined as claimed then some incentive was likely needed.

Certainly explain why those N Ireland age group numbers are as they are and why we would have half the pandemic we do now IF those under 30s that are eligible said yes instead of no.

Giving them an incentive is the right way forward.

If they choose to say no they still can but will have to wait until the hard yards to get this over is done by the rest of society for them.

Right balance between freedom choice and risk/reward.

Genuine medical reasons to say no should be exempt, of course.

Interesting topic to discuss.

One of the reasons for having the vaccines is to help stop the spread of the virus and protect the vulnerable. I would think it counter-productive then to allow those exempt from taking the vaccine be allowed in clubs. Appears to be counter-productive.

It could be argued (NB for those who don't realise, I am playing Devil's Advocate) that restricting a small liberty during a pandemic is justified, or at least continue until community cases are much lower than they are now or there is an alternative to a vaccine (e.g. tablets or sprays).

Inevitably, exemption on the basis of severe allergies will be taken advantage of by some.

Yanks are putting us in the high-risk category. A bit rich, but there you go...

CDC places UK on level 4 (its highest level of Covid travel advisory indicating “very high” Covid rates) and advises Americans to “avoid travel to the United Kingdom.” @BBC

Agree with that. Reason I ask is because I’m sure I read ‘trying to get pregnant/have a child’ was considered a legitimate reason for declining a vaccination. Can’t remember which country that was, but it suggested It wouldn’t be difficult to find a reason to decline.
There is no clear advice on this as to some degree the level of any added risk depends on which trimester of the pregnancy you have reached. Risk increases in the third.

Called at Asda on the way home from work and left in disbelief, I was stood at the tills and counted 23 people and only 6 of them had masks on. No surprise to me that the type of people I was expecting to ditch masks were the main culprits.

Haha. I expect to see the same tomorrow. The inconsiderate and disrespectful stick out a mile.

It is always low on Mondays due to lack of Sunday registration. And will rise tomorrow for the same reason as it has across the pandemic.

But I was saying it was low today because of the number I posted earlier from England hospitals for today - which was 11 - which was a big jump up from 4 last week - and with 4 others from the other three home nations added (when those were zero last week) it was a concern that out of hospital deaths (care homes etc) might be on the rise too today.

So out of hospital deaths added on were only 4 today which is low for a Monday and less than the 5 added last week.

It is complicated how the deaths are worked out. No idea why England do not do what the other three nations do - give ONE number daily from all settings. England insist on the hospital ones and then hours late add the rest.
On reflection, it might well be 50 (ish) tomorrow.
That being said, even if it is 50+, context is all.
The best news on vaccination is that in the UK, with 68% of over 18’s now fully vaccinated, even with Delta rife, the deaths to cases ratio has fallen from about 1 in 50 during the Winter wave to 1 in 750 (or more) currently.
If we’d been at the non vaccine levels of winter, at current positive numbers, we’d currently be looking at over 800 deaths a day…..

Last edited:
The Netherlands reopened nightclubs on June 26th and closed them again on July 9th, so the U.K. has had ten plus days to know that they are a catalyst for infection. However, the U.K. government is prepared to weather that, so the idea of a vaccine passport will have no immediate effect and is presumably only a spur to vaccinate those who have so far rejected it.
Aren't the Netherlands behind us with vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.