Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nowhere near as many people are going to be 'compliant' this time round. Nobody's frightened anymore and everyone's tired of being ordered about.
Polls have always shown the overwhelming majority of people are in favour of measures to slow infections. Thankfully the loud shouty morons who infect social media are in the minority. Most people see that wearing a mask is a small thing to maybe help others.

I fully agree but there needs to be greater awareness and discussion about what that actually means. There are huge stockpiles of vaccinations in both South Africa and Uganda that are going to waste. It's partly to do with the logistics of administering them, of course, but it's also largely due to a vaccine hesitancy that is deeply rooted in cultural belief. That is a problem medicine faces around the world and one that predates this pandemic. The West can manufacture and deliver the vaccines but unless they get into the people, the risk of more and deadlier variants arising in countries such as South Africa remains.
i totally agree, but the early data from sa is showing the unvaccinated are the ones predominantly affected, i hope this might change some minds

I can't take the word "totalitarianism" seriously in a COVID context when there are people living under regimes where using Internet isn't even possible, or you daren't speak out against leadership for fear of a triple family generation life sentence breaking rocks in a camp and eating undigested corn out of chicken shit for sustenance. Things aren't ideal but we seriously don't have it that bad.

This might be a daft question but I'll ask it anyway as I don't know the answer.

The new rules say that anyone coming into contact with a positive omicron case must isolate for 10 days. But how do you know from a simple PCR test if someone has tested positive for omicron and not delta? The results are just negative/positive for COVID-19, aren't they? Or are they now sequencing every single test to check for particular strains (seems unlikely and presumably takes a lot longer)?

A noble effort but anyone who has done WFH knows it’s a piss take and never can be as effective as being on site. Not saying some individual’s don’t make it work but the majority take advantage, working through commute hours just doesn’t exist

The worst culprits at the moment are the Civil Servants and the likes of GP Centre’s. HMRC have issued me with a fine even though I told them my accounts would be late because my (not in the proprietal way) Accountant died suddenly, they just won’t discuss the situation, blaming it on COVID and say “write to us”.

Struggling to tell if this is sarcasm or not….

Polls have always shown the overwhelming majority of people are in favour of measures to slow infections. Thankfully the loud shouty morons who infect social media are in the minority. Most people see that wearing a mask is a small thing to maybe help others.
Polls are not representative of the majority and the questions are structured to guide you into answering a certain way. Proof will be in the pudding anyway, you'll see.

So the question is - how many more years are we going to have to face disruption to our way of life?

Face masks, lockdowns, PCR tests, self isolation - who wants to live like that indefinitely?
Hospital numbers are falling and have been for weeks but Boris has to be seen to do something to pacify all the wet lettuces out there.

A noble effort but anyone who has done WFH knows it’s a piss take and never can be as effective as being on site. Not saying some individual’s don’t make it work but the majority take advantage, working through commute hours just doesn’t exist.

I respectfully disagree. I started a new job in May and in that time have done 4 days in office until we got put back on full time WFH measures until January minimum (Ireland based). The only benefit for me being in office is being able to ask questions in person rather than waiting for a reply on Microsoft Teams. I am more likely to stay on beyond 5pm at home, have consistently hit target too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.