Coronavirus (2022) thread

There's been an alarming increase in the number of 'medical emergencies' at football games recently. I remember the odd one before the pandemic, but now it seems like they're occurring monthly (if not more frequently).

Some non-vaccinated friends of mine used it as anecdotal evidence as to why they shouldn't get the vaccine - "it can cause heart attacks which is why so many people have them now".

I've tried to counter the point by saying it's likely that COVID itself is causing the rise (as we know it affects the lungs/heart) rather than the vaccines - but they didn't want to hear it.

Is there any articles/papers that go into detail about what's happening?

I was chatting to a guy recently who had been match commander for hundreds of matches over the years and these medical incidents have always happened so many times you wouldn’t believe. However, the difference now is they stop the game every time and so everyone thinks it’s a sudden new phenomenon simply because attention is now drawn to it every time.

And again….sky sports BREAKING NEWS just now….Fulham and Blackpool players taken off the pitch due to medical emergency in the crowd. Is it any wonder people get the perception this is a new problem when it’s screamed at them via push notifications every single time.

296 deaths - was 297 last week

England only 275 - was 262 last week

Cases are only England and Northern Ireland on Saturdays.

They total 72,727 - last week they were 80,263 - so that is a real fall. Though today is actually going to rise about 3000 or so when the Scotland number IS added into the UK number on Monday.

England only 69,137 - was 78,711 yesterday & 73,331 last Saturday.

THOSE are actual direct comparisons you can depend on.

Wales never post on Saturdays and the Mensa team required to work out the numbers to count from the ones that Scotland do post have weekends off. So was the case in last weeks UK number above too. But that number from last week for the UK includes Scotland as it was added on last Monday - but this week as yet does not.

Crazy I know.

Scotland added 2972 / 4180 today - but it will be neither of those numbers that get counted. And something in between. Probably. But we have to wait for Monday until they work it out.

Yesterday it was 2972 / 7258 but that became 3956 later added on Gov UK. Not a clue why Scotland have decided to go this cockeyed route on reporting. But they have done so every day for a couple of weeks now.and messed up any easy comparing no end in the process.

Last edited:
England hospital numbers are the best news of the week.

Admissions (Thursday) 1503 - was 1698 last week & 1916 two weeks ago.

North West admissions 195 V 286 last week & 351 the week before.

Patients down by 790 today to 12,672.

Every region falls by good numbers but the North West by far the most - down 385 from yesterday to 2045. A week to week fall from 2708.

Ventilarors also down again as they have now every day for almost two weeks. Onto 458. It was 545 last week. 608 two weeks ago and 708 three Saturdays ago.

North West falls under 50 to 47 - the lowest in the region since 10 June.

Remarkable to see this tumbling number of ventilated patients in deep mid winter. Much the best news about right now as it will translate into fewer deaths almost certainly.

And again….sky sports BREAKING NEWS just now….Fulham and Blackpool players taken off the pitch due to medical emergency in the crowd. Is it any wonder people get the perception this is a new problem when it’s screamed at them via push notifications every single time.
Same happened at the Oldham vs Rochdale game

Now that all of us who want it are vaxxed and boosted, Covid no longer feels like a disease that’s worth worrying about any more than other everyday diseases. If the antivax loons want to restrict their own freedom to travel where they want and restrict their employment options that’s up to them. More than happy for the freedom lovers to constrain their own lifestyles and increase their risk of serious illness by a factor of 20 whilst the rest of us get on with our lives without worrying about Covid.

Every region falls by good numbers but the North West by far the most - down 385 from yesterday to 2045. A week to week fall from 2708.

Ventilarors also down again as they have now every day for almost two weeks. Onto 458. It was 545 last week. 608 two weeks ago and 708 three Saturdays ago.

Remarkable to see this tumbling number of ventilated patients in deep mid winter. Much the best news about right now as it will translate into fewer deaths almost certainly.

Here's some remarkable data from Denmark - I think we're following the same path but a bit behind.

Hopefully we'll see the same crash in serious outcomes.

FKPSYzkVgAABf6c.jpeg

Denmark's current case rate is something like 6x ours, caveats on testing policy notwithstanding.

Pfizer plaxlovid rollout 10 February...fantastic news

And here another cheery graph, how fatality rate of covid has fallen through the pandemic in the UK.

View attachment 35437

Note the log scale - the fall is much more than it first appears.
If it’s now just double flu presumably including the unvaxxed, for the vaxxed only it must be less than flu which suggests to me that the pandemic’s over and there’s an endemic disease that needs to be managed like many others.

If it’s now just double flu presumably including the unvaxxed, for the vaxxed only it must be less than flu which suggests to me that the pandemic’s over and there’s an endemic disease that needs to be managed like many others.

I think the question is how to make sure it doesn't come back.

The omicron spike was way faster than any flu spike, and far more people are vaccinated vs covid than vs flu.

I'd like to see a strategy to minimise the likelihood of a return, and maximise our ability to respond if it does.

Eg ventilation standards, maximising vaccination incl annual boosters if justified, increasing healthcare capacity etc etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.