Coronavirus (2022) thread

I think the question is how to make sure it doesn't come back.

The omicron spike was way faster than any flu spike, and far more people are vaccinated vs covid than vs flu.

I'd like to see a strategy to minimise the likelihood of a return, and maximise our ability to respond if it does.

Eg ventilation standards, maximising vaccination incl annual boosters if justified, increasing healthcare capacity etc etc.
Agreed and does the remarkable success and infectivity of Omicron (including the new version of it that is outcompeting the old version already it seems) narrow the window to very little as to what could actually be more easily transmitted than this?

Could there be a 100% infected V 90% or whatever the new Omicron version proves to be? Or has this just become the variant that will rule indefinitely with minor variations on a theme?

And is there a risk Omicron can mutate further in a way that will become more dangerous now it is so widespread and numerous? More cases presumably increase the risk of something rogue happening.

I am guessing yes. But we will all be hoping no.

OMicron looks like the stepping stone back to normality. But how likely is it that a further mutation of it turns this around?

I think the question is how to make sure it doesn't come back.

The omicron spike was way faster than any flu spike, and far more people are vaccinated vs covid than vs flu.

I'd like to see a strategy to minimise the likelihood of a return, and maximise our ability to respond if it does.

Eg ventilation standards, maximising vaccination incl annual boosters if justified, increasing healthcare capacity etc etc.
Wouldn’t argue with any of that other adding the need to help speed up the distribution of vaccines to the rest of the world. It doesn’t seem right that just 10% of the population of low income countries have been jabbed. It’s in everyone’s interest for that figure to go up as quickly as possible to reduce the potential for more variants to develop as well as protecting those populations.

Agreed and does the remarkable success and infectivity of Omicron (including the new version of it that is outcompeting the old version already it seems) narrow the window to very little as to what could actually be more easily transmitted than this?

Could there be a 100% infected V 90% or whatever the new Omicron version proves to be? Or has this just become the variant that will rule indefinitely with minor variations on a theme?

And is there a risk Omicron can mutate further in a way that will become more dangerous now it is so widespread and numerous? More cases presumably increase the risk of something rogue happening.

I am guessing yes. But we will all be hoping no.

OMicron looks like the stepping stone back to normality. But how likely is it that a further mutation of it turns this around?

There will be further mutations, of that we can be sure. They'll either be more transmissible or have immune escape.

Beyond that, I think we can predict very little - how severe, how different, how soon - no idea.

Two years ago he was just a doctor...You know, those you probably clapped in a mass circle jerk the year before..You must remember him, the guy who you trusted and valued his opinion...Yeah, him...

Incorrect, I never clapped once.

As someone else has already said, how can you work in medicine yet be anti-vax?
Makes absolutely zero sense or logic.

They are likely few and far between, but just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they also can't be a fucking nutjob. It's a shame its taken a pandemic to weed a few of them out.

Looks like the ant-vax goons have a new poster boy though.

Wouldn’t argue with any of that other adding the need to help speed up the distribution of vaccines to the rest of the world. It doesn’t seem right that just 10% of the population of low income countries have been jabbed. It’s in everyone’s interest for that figure to go up as quickly as possible to reduce the potential for more variants to develop as well as protecting those populations.
In many low and medium income countries there is an issue with both governments and populations having no great interest in vaccination. Many of them have decided that they are not going to be 'fobbed off' with the highly effective, cheap and easy to deliver AZ vaccine and they don't have the means to distribute Pfizer or Moderna options. Serum Institute in India, the world's biggest vaccine manufacturer, has paused production of AZ due to lack of demand.

Even if these countries were given vaccines free I highly doubt they would improve on the current low take up. Hoping for a vaccinated global population is wishful thinking.

In many low and medium income countries there is an issue with both governments and populations having no great interest in vaccination. Many of them have decided that they are not going to be 'fobbed off' with the highly effective, cheap and easy to deliver AZ vaccine and they don't have the means to distribute Pfizer or Moderna options. Serum Institute in India, the world's biggest vaccine manufacturer, has paused production of AZ due to lack of demand.

Even if these countries were given vaccines free I highly doubt they would improve on the current low take up. Hoping for a vaccinated global population is wishful thinking.
I’m sure your point is valid in many countries but that wouldn’t go all the way to explain why vaccine coverage is below 10% in quite a few countries. I also know that a vaccinated global population could never happen. Even well vaccinated countries struggle to get above 90% of those eligible due to the amount of bullshit believed by the gullible. It’s all about reducing the pool of unvaccinated as much as possible which consequently reduces the number of potentially serious mutations.

Incorrect, I never clapped once.

As someone else has already said, how can you work in medicine yet be anti-vax?
Makes absolutely zero sense or logic.

They are likely few and far between, but just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they also can't be a fucking nutjob. It's a shame its taken a pandemic to weed a few of them out.

Looks like the ant-vax goons have a new poster boy though.
I’m guessing he’s the same bloke who Jeremy Vine had on his show on Radio 2 the other day. I didn’t catch it all but when Vine made the point to him that death numbers are way down on where they were 12 months ago and that this was surely down to the vaccine, he didn’t even acknowledge it and instead banged on about thousands being in hospital with Covid, implying that that means the vaccine isn’t very effective.

The bloke’s a fucking prick.

If it’s now just double flu presumably including the unvaxxed, for the vaxxed only it must be less than flu which suggests to me that the pandemic’s over and there’s an endemic disease that needs to be managed like many others.
That’s just deaths. To be endemic, doesn’t the spread of the disease have to be confined to small geographical areas and the spread able to be controlled?

Flu, for example, is not endemic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m guessing he’s the same bloke who Jeremy Vine had on his show on Radio 2 the other day. I didn’t catch it all but when Vine made the point to him that death numbers are way down on where they were 12 months ago and that this was surely down to the vaccine, he didn’t even acknowledge it and instead banged on about thousands being in hospital with Covid, implying that that means the vaccine isn’t very effective.

The bloke’s a fucking prick.
He was on GMB a couple of weeks ago and Dr Hilary shot him down completely.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.