Coronavirus (2022) thread

BBC lead the news on 150,000 deaths being reached tonight. I had not even noticed as it is a number we were always going to get to at some point so hardly the biggest news of the day it was today not tomorrow.

Yes it is tragic but has been for 2 years. And would have happened months ago but for the vaccines.

Mention it obviously. But the biggest story of the day, really?
The biggest story yesterday was a tennis player not being able to play tennis. Perspective…

Reports in tonight's papers that the government are looking to scrap free lateral flow tests for the majority and have them only available in high risk settings.
So much for being able to protect your elderly loved ones. Faced now with a choice of either abandon them or risk giving them the virus when you visit as you aren't able to know your covid free.
Didn't take the government long to abandon its test test test policy to keep us safe

Reports in tonight's papers that the government are looking to scrap free lateral flow tests for the majority and have them only available in high risk settings.
So much for being able to protect your elderly loved ones. Faced now with a choice of either abandon them or risk giving them the virus when you visit as you aren't able to know your covid free.
Didn't take the government long to abandon its test test test policy to keep us safe
Now that the nation has been completely rinsed with Omicron I think the reliance is upon the vaccines to keep us safe. Which they appear to have done extremely well.

There have been a few reports I think.

Indeed I recall over 2 years ago - first time I ever heard of Covid. Before the first cases in the UK arrived (this was around December 2019) a news report I read serialised from a British guy who caught it whilst living in Wuhan and he claimed his cat did too. But I don't think it was ever investigated and I imagine if it was that common or serious in cats vets would have been talking about it and advisng what to do. I have not seen them doing so.

As I recall there is limited evidence of human to cat transmission but it is rare. And no real evidence of cat to human transmission. So possible but not really a big thing that vets are actively tracking or treating I would suggest is the current view.

There have been reports with dogs too but much as above human to pet and not many.
Cats can catch it. Well established evidence. Lions in zoos, domestic moggies etc. Not easily transmissible to felines though.
https://www.cats.org.uk/help-and-advice/coronavirus/faqs-about-coronavirus-covid-19-and-cats
No evidence of it going the other way though it probably does.

Last edited:
It's odd how Scotland's and Wales cases are much higher than England's; n spite of more punitive measures. Unless I've read it wrongly.
Not really. Your more likely to catch it if you go round to your mates house than if you go clubbing. The latter will be more ventilated than the former.

Not really. Your more likely to catch it if you go round to your mates house than if you go clubbing. The latter will be more ventilated than the former.

Probably. That's why they need to stop these measures. Everyone who wanted a jab must have had one now, some two and three. Lay out the risks, try to minimise them, let people decide.

On holiday here in Tenerife it's going up to level four soon. Reduced capacity indoors in pubs and outside but you can still go in, some follow the limit strictly, some are a bit more lax. 1 am closing still I think. It's a bit of a nonsense really. Most are masking up to go to the bar and toilet but then are sitting drinking, shouting over the music, hugging and kissing in often poorly ventilated bars, unless sat outside.

BBC lead the news on 150,000 deaths being reached tonight. I had not even noticed as it is a number we were always going to get to at some point so hardly the biggest news of the day it was today not tomorrow.

Yes it is tragic but has been for 2 years. And would have happened months ago but for the vaccines.

Mention it obviously. But the biggest story of the day, really?

we hit 150k in March 2021 when you look at death certificates. That’s what they should be reporting.

It can’t just go on forever though can it.

Elderly people aren’t “vulnerable” in the same way now, with the vaccines.

And if you’re elderly and unvaccinated, well….you’re a moron…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.