Coronavirus (2022) thread

a minor benefit in the older populations, negligible elsewhere.

Thanks for proving the point I've made for weeks though. Glad to know we're all in agreement that 3 v 2 makes negligible difference and your own posted data proves it unequivocally.

This is effectiveness vs ICU only, and shows you're half as likely to end up in icu boosted.

There is also effectiveness vs hospitalisation and vs symptomatic infection to consider.

Please don't put words in my mouth, if you want my opinion, just ask.

Would normally post this in detail on the data thread but it looks possible good news worth you all seeing. Though possible is the key word. See below.

313 UK deaths - was 162 last week

282 in England v 154 last week.

The England death numbers have been rising in the past few days. Some will be lag from the unusually long holiday- but most seems a real rise.

146,390 cases - but no Wales on Saturday so this is not entirely the fall it seems.

But with no Wales it was 179,637 last Saturday - so down 33,247

England only cases today 130,330 today - 19,075 fewer than yesterday & 32,242 on last Saturday

No testing data reported over the weekend but you have to suspect these will be reduced as often at weekend and so part of the reason - but if not it is a signifcant fall. It was still 1.8 million yesterday - but that was down from over 2 million on the previous 2 days.

Scotland was down 17,065 to 12,602 week to week and N Ireland posted 3458 - half yesterday but V nothing last Saturday.

So the numbers are UK wide whatever is causing the drop.
It kind of depends.
Deaths will rise to about 600 and 800 a day by the end if Jan but only because an average 1750 die every day (2200 ish in winter, lower in summer) and so many of the population will have had a positive test in the last 28 days.

Last edited:
This is effectiveness vs ICU only, and shows you're half as likely to end up in icu boosted.

There is also effectiveness vs hospitalisation and vs symptomatic infection to consider.

Please don't put words in my mouth, if you want my opinion, just ask.
i've read it in the data you posted. That's the only logical conclusion from the data. Half of 0.4 v 0.2 for older populations is negligible.

I must say I don't think the compulsory vax of health staff will stand the test of time. In terms of policy, you have to look at what the objective is in this case which is presumably that whilst we're at 'pandemic' level eg in an emergency situation, we can't afford to wait for everyone to generate their own individual immunity naturally and so vaccination offers a fast-track way of increasing overall immunity amongst the population - this example being particularly targeted at health staff of course.

However, it is now clear that neither vaccines nor natural immunity are likely to give long term protection against carrying or spreading the virus so once the population moves into a true endemic situation then what is the point of mandating vaccines against a virus similar to so many respiratory viruses we see such as the cold? Will there be any point in differentiating between individuals who have generated immunity via natural infection and those who have gained their immunity via vaccination? Why would the NHS deprive itself of staff for no benefit whatsoever? It just doesn't stand up to objective scrutiny and jabbing all staff every few months forever is unrealistic rendering compulsory vaccination even more pointless.

FYI I am pro-vaccination, have had my 3 x covid jabs as well as flu, yellow fever, hep, polio etc etc but being pro-vax doesn't mean policymakers should enforce a policy which no longer has any tangible benefits and would probably cause more harm over the next decades once covid is endemic and we are past the emergency stage.
I just can’t see how this is going to work. My partner is NHS at Trafford General. At the moment it’s being mooted that those who choose not to be vaccinated can move into a role which doesn’t involve face to face contact with patient. But they’ve already got nurses working from home since March 2020, who won’t come to work as they feel they are vulnerable, some of whom are unvaccinated. There’s only so many nurses that can spend the day on telephone or zoom calls.
Another issue, is a change is the rules from March regarding retired NHS staff. To encourage those retired to return, the rules were waived that had previously said that, as a retired person, you couldnt earn an NHS wage higher than your NHS pension. My partner, retired, went back 3 days per week, earning slightly more than their weekly pension. From March, they will either have to reduce their hours, or have the excess wage taken off them. This will apply to thousands of returned staff, who are obviously going to choose to reduce their days. A perfect storm.

The drop in cases is good as is the apparent slow down in hospital admissions and the lack of rise in people in ICU. The increase is deaths is disappointing to say the least, this had been holding up well until the last few days, but given the huge numbers some sort of rise can only be expected I suppose. But hopefully we are turning a corner. hard to see what can be done now as implementing limited restrictions like in Wales and Scotland doesn't seem to have reduced cases? Would seem its all or nothing?
Just need to be careful on ITU numbers as we only report ‘on mechanical ventilation’. Being on ITU, full of lines and oxygen is no cake walk but those numbers might not be reflected in admissions.

BBC lead the news on 150,000 deaths being reached tonight. I had not even noticed as it is a number we were always going to get to at some point so hardly the biggest news of the day it was today not tomorrow.

Yes it is tragic but has been for 2 years. And would have happened months ago but for the vaccines.

Mention it obviously. But the biggest story of the day, really?

Kind of depends.
Deaths will rise to about 600 and 800 a day by the end if Jan but only because 1750 die every day on average (2200 ish in winter) and so many of the population will have had a positive test in the last 28 days. BSed on observation that Covid waves.
This is indeed true. The numbers might touch over a 1000 on a couple of days as well and it’ll be interesting to see how it’s reported.

i've read it in the data you posted. That's the only logical conclusion from the data. Half of 0.4 v 0.2 for older populations is negligible.

Look at the post here earlier. https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/coronavirus-2022-thread.353670/page-52#post-14520595

Look at the height of the dark blue bars in the top chart.

Boosters halve that bar. Negligible?

And, again this data is only for ICU. Before dismissing them, look at effectiveness vs infections and hospitalisation too.

BBC lead the news on 150,000 deaths being reached tonight. I had not even noticed as it is a number we were always going to get to at some point so hardly the biggest news of the day it was today not tomorrow.

Yes it is tragic but has been for 2 years. And would have happened months ago but for the vaccines.

Mention it obviously. But the biggest story of the day, really?
Just awful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.