Coronavirus (2022) thread

The updated Covid booster from Moderna produces a stronger immune response to the Omicron variant than the firm’s original vaccine three months after being given, according to data from the US biotech.
The company said the findings indicated the “superior” immune response triggered by the booster was durable and should provide “important protection” against Covid in the months leading up to the winter.

The Moderna vaccine and a similar “bivalent” shot from Pfizer are central to the NHSautumn booster programme, which is offering the jabs to all over 50s and others most at risk from Covid, including health and social care workers, in the hope of protecting tens of millions of people.

Had my first bout of Covid last month,despite being up to date with jabs. One thing: I completely lost my appetite and ate nothing at all for a week. Spent a lot of time retching. Very tired since.
Had my latest booster, no adverse reaction. Flu jab at the same time. Fighting fit for Xmas,I hope.

Just got back from Cyprus wife took a test she’s positive and coughing her guts up, me and my daughter are negative with an operation next week she will now be isolating from me until clear. She’s diabetic and the cough is horrendous.

Reactions: ob
Just got back from Cyprus wife took a test she’s positive and coughing her guts up, me and my daughter are negative with an operation next week she will now be isolating from me until clear. She’s diabetic and the cough is horrendous.
I had the cough for nearly 3 weeks.

The first week was dreadful. My back and sides were aching due to the amount of coughing I was doing although it did eventually ease off.

Its the fatigue that's really effecting me now

Almost 4 weeks since I first tested positive I still feel exhausted and just constantly tired even though I'm getting 7-10 hours of sleep a night. Some days I just don't even want to get out of bed.

Been advised if I still feel like this by the start of November to contact my doctor's as it could be a sign of long COVID

Weekly update as usual on Thursday when the numbers are released each week.

Zoe - which is daily still - has fallen again for the fifth straight day - by just over 6000 today to estimated daily new cases of 203,224 V 235,829 last Thursday..

The curve has topped out and flattened off two or three days ago but numbers are falling very slowly. Less fast than they rose.

3,075,997 ongoing cases predicted today V 3,090,983 yesterday and V 3,087,088 last Thursday.

England hospital patients have flattened right off over the past week

Totals over last 7 days:

10,608 - 10,584 - 10,420 - 10,502 - 10,584 - 10,688 - 10,594 - 10,487

So as you see it has tallied Zoe very well - flattening and in trhe past few days falling.

But overall again like Zoe it is more levelled off than falling a lot as yet.

Regionally East is down about 100 over the week and the others region up or down by small numbers consistent with the flattening. North Wesrt fell from 1226 to 1186 across the week,

Ventilated patients though fell across the week happily from 221 to 206.

Supporting the view the vaccines ARE working and keeping serious illness at a low level.That is just 2% of the patients in hospital with Covid have need of ICU right now.

Admissions peaked at 1275 a week ago And are 1121 the week to week comoarison.

North West at 95 had the lowest number on a single day in the past week. Only one other was below 100.

258 last Thursday was the highest recorded daily intake in one region in the Midlands which has had the biggest problens this wave and is currently the only region with over 2000 patients on 2088. Though that has fallen the last two days.

Omicron sub-variants are showing signs of “increased transmissibility and properties of immune escape”, the World Health Organization has warned, but reduced surveillance has limited efforts to understand the ramifications.

At a press conference Dr Maria Van Kerkhove, the head of the UN agency’s technical team for Covid, said that more than 300 versions of omicron are now circulating globally. These are not causing more severe disease, but they are developing some qualities “of concern”.

“All of these variants of omicron are showing increased transmissibility and properties of immune escape,” she said. “We don’t see a change in severity yet and our vaccines remain effective, but we have to remain vigilant.”

Although no single variant is currently dominant, three are spreading quickly: XBB, which has driven a new wave of infections in Singapore, and BQ.1 and BQ.1.1, which are spreading in Europe and are now responsible for around 11 per cent of cases in the United States.

Available data suggests XBB, which has been spotted in 26 countries, may be the best at evading immunity. In one study by researchers in China, the variant partially evaded antibodies generated by a previous infection with BA.5, an older omicon sub-variant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.