Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by berryblue, 9 Mar 2020.

1. chesterbells

chesterbells

I’m trying to take a non-partisan view to this, and recognise that starting elite footy even behind closed sports could boost national morale, that ideally the competitions should be finished.
    Are football clubs medical staff currently pitching in with the wider community effort? If not (and i suspect the answer is Not) what negative difference would it make if they were on duty at a behind closed doors football match?
    I agree on the police though, and ambulance staff, assuming they are hired form the NHS and not internal club staff.
    And of course all those involved would have had to have tested clean, but again, is that using up test kits that the NHS and other front line staff need.
    So on balance, my own conclusion is that I also don’t see how they can even contemplate anything like a return at present.

2. karen7

karen7

The only way it could work is to test every body involved in a match day before every single game,i couldn't be comfortable with using those amounts of tests,it would only take one ball boy turning up late and he could have it,also taking staff away from the NHS to attend,what if players get injured,where do they go to get scanned,operations,where the virus is ,it is not on to put football back on which ever way you look at it

Also you have to test the testers,security,coach drivers,caterers

Money is driving the football bodies to even give it a second thought

chesterbells likes this.
  3. Ban-jani

Ban-jani

They are desperate to cash in on the big Scouse victory.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. karen7

karen7

This is the bottom line

Kenward Garg and birch villa like this.
  5. chedinho

chedinho

Your conclusion is correct.

When the government is asking for 250,000 volunteers.
    When the government is giving out council tax refunds.
    When the government is suspending road tax.
    When the government is paying people to stay home.

It’s pretty clear the government want the league to be null and void. And stop Liverpool cheating their way to another league title.

Kenward Garg likes this.
  6. Wanchope n me Dickov

Wanchope n me Dickov

It's all about the money. If there was any respect for peoples health, the season would have been abandoned already.

I'm afraid null and void is the only way forward. Tough on Liverpool but if you give them the title, where do you stop with other clubs who have had a good season?

Let's beat Covid 19 and then go again..

2691Blues, manimanc and the talisman like this.
  7. cibaman

cibaman

I don’t see anything wrong with the FA and PL exploring their options behind the scenes. If anything, it should ensure that all of the reasons why football cannot resume are fully understood. They have a responsibility to their members, players, fans and other stakeholders to be doing the work.

But they should shut up about it. They should make a simple statement that football will not resume until it is safe to do so, and that no decisions will be made until it is clearer when that will be.

2691Blues and Ardwick Green Blue like this.
  8. lonestay

lonestay

Andros Townsend just been interviewed on BBC breakfast and he says the season has to be played to a conclusion, as there are to many vested interests and money involved for it not too .hmmmmm plays for crystal palace so I guess he would say that.

9. i8rags

i8rags

If they can’t stand 2m apart, it’s a non starter.

10. blue aura

blue aura

Oliver Kay (@OliverKay) Tweeted:
    “If it’s not feasible, just end this league, with whatever consequences that has. There are very few losers. Liverpool, I know, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn’t matter”
    Another PL club exec raises the null-and-void option https://t.co/zmEU3Qts85 @David_Ornstein