Corruption in English football?

As we know after the Hillsborough disaster the Government decreed that all First Division (as was) clubs had to have all seated stadiums. Have you ever wondered why they came to that decision ? or who campaigned for it ?
Many think it was the result of the Taylor report into the tragedy. They may be right or it could be that the fact that the Football Association, the very people that ran the game then, were about to make millions if legislation went through.
In 1989, whilst Taylor was still undertaking his inquiry a West Bromwich Albion Director Mike McGinnity bought a company, PEL, who manufactured plastic seats. Whilst the F.A. pushed Taylor to introduce all seater stadiums McGinnity formed a separate arm of Pel, Pel Stadium Seating and appointed Ted Croker as a Director, he had recently retired as secretary of the F.A. Crokers son-in-law, Nick Harrison, was appointed sales director in January 1990. This, co-incidentally was the month the month Taylor published his report.
It should also be noted that McGinnity was a close and personal friend of the F.A. Chairman Sir Bert Millichip and was in fact on the Board of Directors at West Brom at the same time. It goes without saying that Miilichip and Croker knew each other

Between 1990 and 2006, Pel Stadium Seating installed an estimated 1.6 million seats, including Manchester United and Liverpools ground but their first customer though was Sheffield Wednesday in Hillsboroughs Leppings Lane end !!
The Government made grants available to help clubs pay for the change to all seater stadiums. The person in charge of awarding those grants......... Bert Millichip.
In 2006 Pel Sadium Seating won the contract to fit the seats at the refurbed Wembley. The seats were sub-standard and had to be removed. This is possibly why the company went into administration.
There is loads more to this scandal, including allegations about the reasons why Germany got the World Cup rather than the UK. (PEL had the contract with the German F.A.) but I've gone on long enough.

And some say that football isn't bent.

As we know after the Hillsborough disaster the Government decreed that all First Division (as was) clubs had to have all seated stadiums. Have you ever wondered why they came to that decision ? or who campaigned for it ?
Many think it was the result of the Taylor report into the tragedy. They may be right or it could be that the fact that the Football Association, the very people that ran the game then, were about to make millions if legislation went through.
In 1989, whilst Taylor was still undertaking his inquiry a West Bromwich Albion Director Mike McGinnity bought a company, PEL, who manufactured plastic seats. Whilst the F.A. pushed Taylor to introduce all seater stadiums McGinnity formed a separate arm of Pel, Pel Stadium Seating and appointed Ted Croker as a Director, he had recently retired as secretary of the F.A. Crokers son-in-law, Nick Harrison, was appointed sales director in January 1990. This, co-incidentally was the month the month Taylor published his report.
It should also be noted that McGinnity was a close and personal friend of the F.A. Chairman Sir Bert Millichip and was in fact on the Board of Directors at West Brom at the same time. It goes without saying that Miilichip and Croker knew each other

Between 1990 and 2006, Pel Stadium Seating installed an estimated 1.6 million seats, including Manchester United and Liverpools ground but their first customer though was Sheffield Wednesday in Hillsboroughs Leppings Lane end !!
The Government made grants available to help clubs pay for the change to all seater stadiums. The person in charge of awarding those grants......... Bert Millichip.
In 2006 Pel Sadium Seating won the contract to fit the seats at the refurbed Wembley. The seats were sub-standard and had to be removed. This is possibly why the company went into administration.
There is loads more to this scandal, including allegations about the reasons why Germany got the World Cup rather than the UK. (PEL had the contract with the German F.A.) but I've gone on long enough.

Follow the money.

I realise it's now 'history' but that story has always pissed me off. Corruption nothing else and we've had to suffer all seater stadiums as a result.

I find things like this really interesting but as you’ve alluded it highlights the culture of corruption which are

relationships
Decisions
Contracts
Payments

Everything can look clean & above board but often if you follow the money you’ll find the link between the person providing the solution & the one who identified the problem.

I find things like this really interesting but as you’ve alluded it highlights the culture of corruption which are

relationships
Decisions
Contracts
Payments

Everything can look clean & above board but often if you follow the money you’ll find the link between the person providing the solution & the one who identified the problem.
No, no, no. You forget it’s City with their massive investment that ruined football.
Note: Croaker was bent as a nine bob note, with a rake off from anything he managed.

relationships
Decisions
Contracts
Payments

Not just football of course. Ladies and gentlemen I give you ....the pandemic.

People tipped off in advance of the crap they all knew would be published.

Football itself was close to being on its arse partly caused by the very people involved in your post. However, as I remember there was very little argument from clubs as selling a product for more money in a safer environment was both a chance to make some money and stop in ground fighting.

People tipped off in advance of the crap they all knew would be published.

Football itself was close to being on its arse partly caused by the very people involved in your post. However, as I remember there was very little argument from clubs as selling a product for more money in a safer environment was both a chance to make some money and stop in ground fighting.
They werent tipped off in advance. The FA were demanding Taylor and the government make all seater stadiums compulsory and deliberately bought a run down company before any decision was made.
Isnt it amazingvthat their first contract was Hillsborough ?
I have no problem with making football grounds better and safer. I have a problem with the FA being corrupt.
Do you remember how we HAD to keep Wembley because of the iconic twin towers ? then they demolished them.

They werent tipped off in advance. The FA were demanding Taylor and the government make all seater stadiums compulsory and deliberately bought a run down company before any decision was made.
Isnt it amazingvthat their first contract was Hillsborough ?
I have no problem with making football grounds better and safer. I have a problem with the FA being corrupt.
Do you remember how we HAD to keep Wembley because of the iconic twin towers ? then they demolished them.
The twin towers were hollow and couldn't be moved. The new ground would have looked ridiculous built around them so they had to go.
It was stupid of the FA to say they'd be retained in the first place.

The twin towers were hollow and couldn't be moved. The new ground would have looked ridiculous built around them so they had to go.
It was stupid of the FA to say they'd be retained in the first place.
It wasn't stupid, it was a lie. There was strong support from supporters to build a new stadium in the Midlands. The bent FA lied to us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.