Corruption in English football?

Stumbled across this on Twitter.

Here we have a former PL referee essentially admitting that the LOTG are applied in a manner that protects the game. It's therefor a reasonable assumption to make that he's inferring that they want to keep it 'entertaining' for the good of the game.

And just imagine, if they can do that in a single game, there is no reason to think they don't apply the same logic to a competition, perhaps even the Premier League? After all, we can't have a single team running away with it now, can we? It's not the 90's. Got to keep the competition 'interesting, or else the PL might start losing TV revenue.

I don’t particularly like Hackett. He posts a lot of shit on Twitter.

But all he’s really saying there is that there’s always been a higher bar for a second yellow than a first. Just as there’s always been a higher bar for a penalty than a foul anywhere else on the pitch.

Of course there’s nothing in the laws that suggest that should be the case but it’s a common sense approach that pretty much every referee adopts the majority of the time.

I don’t particularly like Hackett. He posts a lot of shit on Twitter.

But all he’s really saying there is that there’s always been a higher bar for a second yellow than a first. Just as there’s always been a higher bar for a penalty than a foul anywhere else on the pitch.

Of course there’s nothing in the laws that suggest that should be the case but it’s a common sense approach that pretty much every referee adopts the majority of the time.
If there has always been a 'higher bar' for a penalty than a foul anywhere else on the pitch, explain how the Rag's went for so long without an away team penalty at the Swamp during their 'glory years' when Sky and the PL were dragging in TV audiences from the Far East? You and me both know that 'high bar' only applied to one team.

If there has always been a 'higher bar' for a penalty than a foul anywhere else on the pitch, explain how the Rag's went for so long without an away team penalty at the Swamp during their 'glory years' when Sky and the PL were dragging in TV audiences from the Far East? You and me both know that 'high bar' only applied to one team.

You can argue all day that the bar is set at different levels for different clubs. That’s a totally different subject.

I was just talking generally. Everyone who has ever watched football knows that a little nudge or a tap or a brief grab of a shirt that might get penalised on a regular basis outside the box, is virtually never going to get given as a penalty.

And I don’t think anybody wants it’s to.

Are the rags corrupt or just shite?

Looks like they are just shite, when you run a football club purely as a business and the money comes in no matter how shit you are on the pitch there isn't the motivation to change.

The people at the top of that cess pit wont change anything because the droves of crap that follow them wont admit they were wrong to fall for the propaganda extolling them as the best in all the land and all the world.

I can see Masters ringing Catweazle to say; "We've given you a ref who's a fan, and allowed your mate to dope up the players. Yet the only fucking dopes are the ones being embarrassed on the pitch every week. We can't do fuck all else without making it too obvious."

You can argue all day that the bar is set at different levels for different clubs. That’s a totally different subject.

I was just talking generally. Everyone who has ever watched football knows that a little nudge or a tap or a brief grab of a shirt that might get penalised on a regular basis outside the box, is virtually never going to get given as a penalty.

And I don’t think anybody wants it’s to.
It isn't a 'totally different subject'. The 'higher bar' for a foul in the penalty box is a totally different subject.

If one team is given more leeway over another by the mach officials, then it is protecting the product, AKA corruption. In the 90's, the team in question were the PL's cash cow and were used to promote the league to a worldwide audience, notably the Far East. It was in the PL's best interest for them to do well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.