Corruption in English football?

You can argue all day that the bar is set at different levels for different clubs. That’s a totally different subject.

I was just talking generally. Everyone who has ever watched football knows that a little nudge or a tap or a brief grab of a shirt that might get penalised on a regular basis outside the box, is virtually never going to get given as a penalty.

And I don’t think anybody wants it’s to.
I don't doubt this is the case, but never understood why. If you wanted 2 different bars just legislate for them in the LOTG. Or just officiate evenly. A 2 footer in the first minute is no different than in the 89th and should be punished accordingly. There are many many games where refs let things go early on and find themselves in difficulties later.

I don't doubt this is the case, but never understood why. If you wanted 2 different bars just legislate for them in the LOTG. Or just officiate evenly. A 2 footer in the first minute is no different than in the 89th and should be punished accordingly. There are many many games where refs let things go early on and find themselves in difficulties later.
Before we were too good to he fucked over there were many instances where we had players sent off because of biased/corrupt refereeing. We also had a referee change his mind after a match and after the PL told him to. Members of City's hierarchy were fuming when they found out what he'd done. That's not biased City fans, that is club officials.

I was just talking specifically about the different standards that have always been applied for penalties over free kicks. Whether it happens is not even really a discussion point. It’s always been the case and always will be.

It’s impossible to legislate for it. But if people really want the exact same standards applied all over the pitch, you’d end up with either a game of only about three free kicks in 90 minutes. Or one with about a dozen penalties. I don’t think anybody really wants either of those things.

You’re talking more about a referee ‘managing a game’ And everyone hates that expression and claims, like you have, that they just want the referee to judge every incident on its merits.

But as soon as that actually happens and you have a game with say eight bookable offences and the referee booking eight players. You’d think people would be saying, perfect. That just what we’re after.

But instead everyone is crying about how the fuck has the referee managed to book eight players, when there wasn’t a bad foul in the whole game?

Contrary to popular opinion, no referee ever wants to make it “all about them” With a few, very rare exceptions, a game is only ever remembered for the refereeing performance when he’s had a shocker. And even those with the biggest egos don’t want that.

Before we were too good to he fucked over there were many instances where we had players sent off because of biased/corrupt refereeing. We also had a referee change his mind after a match and after the PL told him to. Members of City's hierarchy were fuming when they found out what he'd done. That's not biased City fans, that is club officials.

What was this changing of mind after a match about?

Wasn't that Halsey, who was told to alter his match report to say he hadn't seen an incident involving Aguero, meaning the disciplinary panel could retrospectively ban him for an important upcoming fixture?

Edit: Just checked. It was, and the next game was the Rag's.

The PiGMOL denied it, of course.

Last edited:
Wasn't that Halsey, who was told to alter his match report to say he hadn't seen an incident involving Aguero, meaning the disciplinary panel could retrospectively ban him for an important upcoming fixture?

Edit: Just checked. It was, and the next game was the Rag's.

The PiGMOL denied it, of course.

Whenever I quiz him on this he always reminds me of the playoff final and asks where do you think the extra time came from with a grin and changes the subject.

What was this changing of mind after a match about?
Aguero. Halsey saw nothing wrong, photographs show him looking at the incident, no action taken. Sky kicked off, Pigmob spoke to Halsey who then said he hadn't seen the incident and Aguero subsequently banned. Officials at City openly stated that after the match Halsey had told them there was no offence.
I also recall Adebayor was re-refereed.

You can argue all day that the bar is set at different levels for different clubs. That’s a totally different subject.

I was just talking generally. Everyone who has ever watched football knows that a little nudge or a tap or a brief grab of a shirt that might get penalised on a regular basis outside the box, is virtually never going to get given as a penalty.

And I don’t think anybody wants it’s to.
I'd argue that that's also mainly because outside of the box, a little tap, nudge or shirt pull doesn't result in the player throwing themselves to the floor as often as it does in the penalty area.

Aguero. Halsey saw nothing wrong, photographs show him looking at the incident, no action taken. Sky kicked off, Pigmob spoke to Halsey who then said he hadn't seen the incident and Aguero subsequently banned. Officials at City openly stated that after the match Halsey had told them there was no offence.
I also recall Adebayor was re-refereed.
The most blatant re-refing was of Mario after he caught "Little Scottie Parker", Rednapp told his old man who banged on about it after the game. Then SKY showed the incident on repeat for several days until the PL gave in and issued a ban.

I now hope Burnley have a shit season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.