Corruption in English football?

The most blatant re-refing was of Mario after he caught "Little Scottie Parker", Rednapp told his old man who banged on about it after the game. Then SKY showed the incident on repeat for several days until the PL gave in and issued a ban.

I now hope Burnley have a shit season.

Ogden admitted the media coordinated the attack on Haaland after he shouted at the ref to try & get him banned.

I was just talking specifically about the different standards that have always been applied for penalties over free kicks. Whether it happens is not even really a discussion point. It’s always been the case and always will be.

It’s impossible to legislate for it. But if people really want the exact same standards applied all over the pitch, you’d end up with either a game of only about three free kicks in 90 minutes. Or one with about a dozen penalties. I don’t think anybody really wants either of those things.

You’re talking more about a referee ‘managing a game’ And everyone hates that expression and claims, like you have, that they just want the referee to judge every incident on its merits.

But as soon as that actually happens and you have a game with say eight bookable offences and the referee booking eight players. You’d think people would be saying, perfect. That just what we’re after.

But instead everyone is crying about how the fuck has the referee managed to book eight players, when there wasn’t a bad foul in the whole game?

Contrary to popular opinion, no referee ever wants to make it “all about them” With a few, very rare exceptions, a game is only ever remembered for the refereeing performance when he’s had a shocker. And even those with the biggest egos don’t want that.

I’m not sure I agree. Little taps, comings together, etc aren’t fouls anywhere on the pitch, aren’t dangerous, don’t need everyone to be booked for, etc etc. As I say I don’t doubt that they are treated differently where they are on the pitch but I genuinely don’t understand why.

As for refs managing the game, I think this is a strange device. Their role it to officiate on the laws and not be some sort of arbiter of entertainment value.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.