Corruption in English football?

Wasn’t the Ben Thatcher incident rereffereed ?
@alib yep and it was probably the first time, but definitely not the last where the rules were changed to punish City.
Thatcher got a yellow card for the push (cough) That under the laws at the time meant the incident was finished.* Sky and the rest ran it on loop and he was subsequently banned for 8 matches.

*See also Adeybayor and Aguero.

@alib yep and it was probably the first time, but definitely not the last where the rules were changed to punish City.
Thatcher got a yellow card for the push (cough) That under the laws at the time meant the incident was finished.* Sky and the rest ran it on loop and he was subsequently banned for 8 matches.

*See also Adeybayor and Aguero.
It is a while back, so I might be misremembering it, but didn’t the FA at the time indicate that they intervened and gave an extended retrospective ban to Thatcher, to try and keep the Police out of it. There had been precedent in Scotland with Duncan Ferguson being sent down for an on field assault. I agree totally with the general point, but Thatcher was lucky that he wasn’t prosecuted and that Mendes wasn’t really badly hurt.

It is a while back, so I might be misremembering it, but didn’t the FA at the time indicate that they intervened and gave an extended retrospective ban to Thatcher, to try and keep the Police out of it. There had been precedent in Scotland with Duncan Ferguson being sent down for an on field assault. I agree totally with the general point, but Thatcher was lucky that he wasn’t prosecuted and that Mendes wasn’t really badly hurt.

I’m pretty sure that City suspended him originally for an indeterminate amount of time and in effect handed it over to the FA to put a time frame on it.

Whether it was strictly speaking against protocol or not, the FA would have made themselves a laughing stock if they’d said they couldn’t do anything retrospectively.

It also wouldn’t have been fair on City, who would have then been left in the position of having to decide how long their own player should be banned for.

I can't remember if they did lie and say it was to keep the police out of it but it was NOT a police matter. It was never an 8 match ban incident. It was utterly disgraceful the way the law was quickly re-written and one of the first examples of the co-ordinated attacks on us.

I’m pretty sure that City suspended him originally for an indeterminate amount of time and in effect handed it over to the FA to put a time frame on it.

Whether it was strictly speaking against protocol or not, the FA would have made themselves a laughing stock if they’d said they couldn’t do anything retrospectively.

It also wouldn’t have been fair on City, who would have then been left in the position of having to decide how long their own player should be banned for.
Can you provide one other incident where the PL have ignored their own rules ? (excluding all the City hatchet jobs.) and punished a player after the referee had made a clear decision on the punishment.
The referee saw the offence and deemed it as a yellow card. No other player has been subjected to a kangaroo court (again, excluding City incidents)

Can you provide one other incident where the PL have ignored their own rules ? (excluding all the City hatchet jobs.) and punished a player after the referee had made a clear decision on the punishment.
The referee saw the offence and deemed it as a yellow card. No other player has been subjected to a kangaroo court (again, excluding City incidents)
Yep, Brighton vs united, full time whistle blows, which means for every other 91 clubs is the end of the game apart from guess who......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.