Could this be the end of Pompy? (merged)

Re: Sounds mad but.......

It wont happen which is a shame because it is a good idea. For something to happen in this league it has to be a stupid idea like play offs for 4th spot.

What happens if (when) Pompey go bust....

Talk is if they go under begining of March (Which is what HMCE are trying for) Administration is not an option as they cant trade even short term apparently. All results this season will be null and void.

Obviously we have taken 6 points off them this season. The result and table would have us in 7 spot equal on points with with Villa and 4 points behind Liverpool with a game in hand. Scum would be 5 points behind Chelski.

Obviously big changes at the top of the table, champions league spot wise, title wise and at the bottom - West Ham would become the bottom side. Would only 2 clubs be relegated ? or still 3 down with 4 comming up ? Pompey are still in the FA cup.......

What a mess. No way the fixtures should be voided I just dont see how thats is fair with only 12 - 13 games of a 38 season remaining. When a club went bust in the scottish prem the league paid the wages of the first team till the end of the season so the fixtures would be honoured.

What do people think ?????

Re: Could this be the end of Pompy?

BooksReject said:
Don't think they will be wound up, more like an administrator appointed, docked points so relegation a cert, they can then, with administrator, plan for life outside Prem by selling assets (players) to pay off urgent debts, and factoring in parachute payment for next season, and surviving until end of this season. We hope.

This. ^^^

All Pompy have to do is be in existence on 1 Aug 2010 to qualify for the parachute payment (assuming relegation) of £15m or so.

The Inland Revenue are owed about £12m. If they wind Pompy up (putting them out of business completely right now) they may not get their money at all. If they put Pompy into administration, one condition might be that the parachute payment is paid directly to the Taxman. Either way, whoever is owed money, there will be £15m more to go around on 1st August than there will be on 31st July. Granted they will have running costs in the mean time but they also have income coming in (gate receipts, tv rights etc)

Pompy as a footballing entity are fast on their way to becoming the next Leeds. But the taxman isn't stupid - winding Pompy up would just be shooting themselves in the foot. They won't do it.

alanjames24 said:
I'm sorry but the "docked points" idea, if true, is bull. That renders the games that were played null. Therefore, are those who bought tickets entitled to a refund as they watched a "null" game? I hope someone takes the PL to court to try that if so.

CITY FOR LIFE said:
That is a very good point mate.

That is a fantastic opinion. I hope it happens.

It won't. If Pompy do go under completely right now, it will become a 19 team premier league and the Pompy results will be null and void. Those were the rules at the beginning of the season, that's what will happen IF Pompy can't survive until they have completed their fixtures.

But that's a very big IF because if someone put Pompy right under right now (as in they stopped trading and the company which runs the club was brought to an end) everyone would be out of pocket, so it won't happen. (see above post)

Re: What happens if (when) Pompey go bust....

If they do go I can see money being tv or otherwise money being magiced from somewhere so as wages can be paid and fixtures completed. Which will leave them fucked in the summer and they'll get relegated from the Championship nextg season, if they survive as a going concern.

If the club is wound up, there will only be two relegation spots- as there are 3 promotion places to be won in the Championship. Theres no sense making whichever promotion candidate suffer by reducing it to two places, is there?

pompey should accept bottom place now and ask if they can have their parachute payment off the pl now

I assume all clubs have played Portsmouth atleast once? I know the home/away form debate would rear its ugly head but I'm sure it would be a fair compromise to allow the first game for all teams against Portsmouth to stand and to either disregard or give all teams 3 points for the second encounter.
I know this wouldn't exactly suit us but it is better than the reality!

LoveCity said:
I'm sorry but the "docked points" idea, if true, is bull. That renders the games that were played null. Therefore, are those who bought tickets entitled to a refund as they watched a "null" game? I hope someone takes the PL to court to try that if so.

I be claiming for a nights hotel cost as well

basically they will have to survive, be it receiving help from the premier league,eufa or fifa,as the possibilty of teams matches against portsmouth being made null and void would be a farce,and show football as a laughing stock considering the supposed title of best league in the world...

Presumably Birmingham would get a bye in the FAcup (ive not read all the thread) ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.